Will a badly behaved dog affect training my new puppy?

I recently adopted a three month old puppy from a shelter. She comes home with me in a couple of days. I have read books and online pages about training puppies so I am well prepared for my new puppy. But I am concerned because my dad owns a dog that…

I recently adopted a three month old puppy from a shelter. She comes home with me in a couple of days. I have read books and online pages about training puppies so I am well prepared for my new puppy. But I am concerned because my dad owns a dog that…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will a badly behaved dog affect training my new puppy?...

• Will a badly behaved dog affect training my new puppy?

Will a badly behaved dog affect training my new puppy? General Dog Discussions
      I recently adopted a three month old puppy from a shelter. She comes home with me in a couple of days. I have read books and online pages about training puppies so I am well prepared for my new puppy. But I am concerned because my dad owns a dog that isn't very well trained. She is 13, and happy but doens't have the best manners. Will that affect my new puppy? Or any advice about my situation?

Will a badly behaved dog affect training my new puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes. Sadly, the younger dogs will learn from the older, and it's always the negative traits that get passed on very quickly! Train them separately to make sure that your puppy knows to pay attention to you rather than the older dog. And, while you're at it, why not spend a half hour a day training the older dog as well? (It's never too late to get a handle on them.)

• If she doesn't have any bad manners then it won't be a problem at all. You just have to watch out for your dad's dog possibly barking at strangers, digging, chewing the wrong thing, etc. A young puppy would idolize her new big sister and might copy her.If your dads dog just doesn't sit or down then the puppy wouldn't notice or care about that, after all she's not the one getting treats for the easy job of sitting :D

• It's definitely not the sole factor but it can definitely be an issue. Every puppy is different but it is very common for puppies to pick up nasty habits from an older dog. Have you considered training your dads dog along with your new puppy? Hope this helps... good luck! :)

• The simple answer is YES.I have fostered numerous dogs and my own two (who are very well-behaved - one is a certified therapy dog) and they always seem to pick up the bad habits of the foster dog while we have them. Despite never jumping on visitors, a foster comes and they pick up the habit. It takes a few weeks to get them back to their well behaved selves.My suggestions - time, patience, and consistency.First, enroll in a puppy class and then in obedience class and then in advanced obedience class.You are starting with a puppy. Spend TONS of time away from the other dog training and getting the dog to focus on you.Exercise your puppy especially once it gets older. A tired dog is a good dog.Don't give up and despite the behavior of the puppy and how the adult dog affects it - ALWAYS stay consistent with your rules. Don't give up on a rule just because your puppy breaks it. Teach her what you expect and alternative behaviors to the behavior that breaks the rule.