Where do I keep the puppy during winter?

My wife and I just rescued a puppy from the shelter. My wifes mom is in town for a month so she has been watching the puppy during the day.(we both work) Its starting to get cold and the dog has short hair so I dont want to leave her outside during the…

Where do I keep the puppy during winter?

My wife and I just rescued a puppy from the shelter. My wifes mom is in town for a month so she has been watching the puppy during the day.(we both work) Its starting to get cold and the dog has short hair so I dont want to leave her outside during the…...
    General Dog Discussions : Where do I keep the puppy during winter?...

• Puppy proofing a room is a good idea. It would also help if you give him an article of your clothing or two which smell like you for it to chew on and snuggle with. Be sure to get a very heavy-based bowl to give him water while you are gone or you will come back to a flood of water and soggy dog food. Puppies have a lot of energy they must expel so get it a few toys. Is it paper trained? You might want to put some down so the puppy can go to the bathroom without feeling guilty about it. Good luck!

• i am strongly against leaving a dog in a room all day by him or herself. not a very good parent.... but i would suggest that you crate/ kennel train your dog right away. the younger they are when you start, the better. dogs in the wild are used to small cramped spaces so if you do it at a young age they wont get traumatized. buy a decent cage, if you spend a little on the cage you'll save a lot on repairs to your home and furniture. the cage should just be big enough for the dog to fit in, sit, lay down, get up, turn around, and then lay back down. NO BIGGER!! if there is any more room than that, the dog will deficate in it. a dog will never soil the same place where he lays. to crate train your dog, leave the open crate in your house for a few days, make sure you put a few of your dogs favorite toys in it and praise your dog and give treats every single time they go in the crate on their own. once they get comfortable with the crate and accept it. you can close the door and walk away. never praise your dog after you let them out. wait awhile after coming home, maybe 5 or 10 minutes before you make a fuss over your puppy. that way they dont look forward to you coming back and it helps with seperation anxiety... if you need to know anything else, just email me.

• well, i crate trained our dog. but i let him out to play for an hour before i go to work, 9:00 am, then i crate him. i come home on my lunch break every day and let him out and play with him for an hour. then i get home about 5:15 and he's out of the crate until time for bed, about 11:30 pm. i always make sure he has toys, something soft to lay on and water in his crate at all times.this works out really good for us.

• Hi!!! I did that for a while because I wasn`t sure she could handle having the whole house to herself, so we started out with a small laundry room with vinyl floors, she is trained, as we saw there weren`t any problems with went to the foyer with a "baby" door, she did well, so now she has the whole house to herself, she is trained to go out before I leave for work (7:30) and she is fine until 3:30 or so.... so far so good, we leave toys and chew rawhide for her to play. she sleeps alot though I think it is just her breed, if not sure I would make sure she /he was trained properly and if not get a large kennel type box, but I don`t like that, I think it is cruel to keep them confined all that time. Good Luck!!! I have a shi tzu..

• Crate training worked best for us. Our dog is a chewer and so whenever no one is going to be there (not that often) she goes in her cage. She cooperates fully and has pretty much from the beginning. If you start it now, it should work out for you. You may want to leave a radio or small tv on near the cage so that the dog doesn't think he/she's all alone during that time. Also, you could give her bones or pig ears or whatever for in the cage. My dog never would chew them when she was in the cage but she always kept them and didn't urinate in the cage either. It does take some time though, so start right away to get the best results before winter comes full on.

• That should be fine....Another thing that you could do is...they do make heated dogs houses....they are a little expensive but they do work....One thing I might recommend is getting your puppy a friend. In my expericance dogs seem to do better in pairs....that's if you have the room.Make sure to keep plenty of toys and things in the room to keep it busy, and occuppied. Your chances of the dog getting into other things are not as high....but be wary...if a dog really wants to destroy something they will find it, even if the room is "puppy proofed. Just like a kid, you can make sure every little thing is picked up and they still find things to get into they are not supposed to.

• Yes the dog should be kept inside while you are at work. Maybe a crate???? Or puppy proofing a room would be great.Do not ever leave a dog outside while you are gone. They can get into to much trouble or escape the yard and get hurt.Dogs should be kept indoors while you are gone and be part of the family.

• But the dog a nice crate, or put a baby gate up somewhere. It's perfectly acceptable to leave the dog in a room/ crate as long as it has food and water.Leaving it outside in the cold is just mean.

• You need to crate train the puppy now, then when you leave the house your pup has a safe place to stay while you are out. Make sure that the pup has been potty trained first, so that it's bladder gets use to not going for up to 8 hours.

• Love and adore her!!!Get a kennel for the pup and leaving the pup outside during the day should not be a problem - but provide enought warm blankets and toys to keep het busy during the day. Try putting the kennel half way under a garden table or something to give shelter from the rain.

• Yes, giving your puppy a room to stay in during the day while you work is fine. We did this with our dog when he was a pup and it worked well. Now that he is older and has been trained, he has the run of the house while we are at work.

• I don't think you should have a puppy. How could you think of leaving it outside all day (regardless of the weather)? How would you like to be shut in one room alone for 7-8 hours at a time when you're just a puppy? This puppy is part of your family and should be treated as such.

• Start crate training her now. You can buy a good crate at Petco. Make sure is it big enough for her to stand up in, turn around and lay down without being cramped. Put a dog bed or blanket in it for her to lie on. She will probable cry while the training is going on but start slow with short times 15-20 mins at a time and when you get her out, take her outside to potty, tell her she is a good girl and repeat in about 2 hrs. My 2 Boxers take their naps during the day and sleep in their crates every night. Good luck.