Where do I keep the puppy during winter?

My wife and I just rescued a puppy from the shelter. My wifes mom is in town for a month so she has been watching the puppy during the day.(we both work) Its starting to get cold and the dog has short hair so I dont want to leave her outside during the…

My wife and I just rescued a puppy from the shelter. My wifes mom is in town for a month so she has been watching the puppy during the day.(we both work) Its starting to get cold and the dog has short hair so I dont want to leave her outside during the…...
    General Dog Discussions : Where do I keep the puppy during winter?...

• Where do I keep the puppy during winter?

Where do I keep the puppy during winter? General Dog Discussions
      My wife and I just rescued a puppy from the shelter. My wifes mom is in town for a month so she has been watching the puppy during the day.(we both work) Its starting to get cold and the dog has short hair so I dont want to leave her outside during the winter, but I dont want her to tear apart the house during the day. Would it be to much to put the dog in another room for 7-8 hours aday while we were at work inside. ????Its not a tiny room, and we could "puppy proof it"

Where do I keep the puppy during winter? General Dog Discussions
    • Im a little stumped here too... we put my dog in one room for a day before, and even doggy proofed, he found stuff to destroy. If they are used to being around people, they get seperation anxiety. You could try kennel training him, but its a small space for a dog to be for 8 hours.

• We actually are facing the same problem. Our Vet told us that as long as he had 3-4 hours a day/night outside of that room that it would be fine. Dogs entertain themselves during that time in the room. He suggested that we put a doggie bed, treats, and "pig ears" to help with the chewing also. I hope this will help.

• I guess its better than leaving it alone to get into mischief & injured.At least until you train it to your home.We have dog rooms here with gates that they sleep in.Then they come out to play & go outside.Thx for adopting from a shelter,,you saved his life most likely & the dog will be forever grateful. p.s. cages suk.

• That sounds like a good plan.. Your pup will be much better potty trained if you can have a walker to take it out mid day..Otherwise, there will some confusion, as to where in the house it can 'go'.A doggy day care is the very best solution.. Your pup will be able to continue its traininng, and be socialized and trained while you are working! They don't cost as much as you might think, so call around.If you decide to use the room as its nursery, begin now, playing with her in the room, so it is more familiar to her as a play room..Give her plenty of toys and blankets, and pee pads..And an old blanket or clothing that has been at least a night in bed with you..

• I don't think it's too long. I think that is a much better idea than people who leave their dogs in crates all day. You may also want to get an insolated dog house for the less cold days and leave him outside (he would probably perfer that if that's what he is use to). Check with your vet, but I think anything about 50 degrees is find to leave him outside as long as he has shelter, food, and water. I'm more conserned about leaving a dog in the heat all day, most dogs perfer cool weather.

• Putting her in her own room that is "puppy" proof (if there is such a thing) is fine. Just make sure she is paper trained or completely house broken. Put a radio in there for noise and her favorite blanket with her toys and food and water. My opinion if I had a room to dedicate to the puppy I would prefer to do that put her in a crate. Make sure when you come home she is the first thing you let out and make sure she gets plenty of exercise in the evening.

• No, it wouldn't hurt anything, but, put down plenty of puppy pads. Try to put her in a room where there is a window, if she has plenty of light it will work better and if you can turn on a tv or radiio it will keep her company while you are at work.

• Try getting the puppy a sweater and some boots for starters. i saw some at wal mart but you could always just go down to the pet store. you could build a little room outside for him with a heat lamp on the room. but make the roof high enough so he can't burn himself on the lamp. of you could always keep him inside and just let himout to go to the bathroom.

• Here is a Yahoo group..http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/agbeh/This group deals with _aggressive_ behavior in dogs, BUT the training methods that you will find here apply to all dogs. Please go have a look.Puppies, especially short haired ones, need warmth.

• Hi there! Do you have a kitchen where you can put a dog gate? They sell dog gates now at Pet Smart that can expand to a certain size. They can get pretty pricey but it is worth it for a peace of mind. I have one in my apartment and it works really well. I just put my dog in the kitchen area with a blanket and a toy, a bowl of water and some dry food and he is good to go for the day while i'm at work. (though he is very happy to see me right when I get home lol) I suggest measuring your entryway to your kitchen area, then going to petsmart and buying a gate for that entryway. They make them to where they swing open so you don't have to worry about moving them everytime you want to go in and out of the kitchen, and they make really nice looking one's as well. Good luck!

• First of all, you are a good person for rescuing a dog. :)Second, if you decide to leave the dog outside, make sure that she has a warm enough dog house, but I don't recomend leaving it outside since it is a dog with short-hair, because she could get very cold, and in the worst case scenario, freeze. I think that the best thing to do is to keep her inside, and if possible keep her in that other room. Make sure you have taken care of everything to "puppy-proof" it, and she should be all set, though I think she would get quite lonely. If you don't mind your electricity bill going way up, I would suggest that maybe you could leave the tv on. They actually have a show on animal planet that is made for dogs to watch. I'm not sure if it's the time division with animal television, or the tv show, but it is called "Tail-ivision". Leave toys definitely in the room, because like I said she could get bored.I don't suggest leaving a radio with her, because that can be very disturbing if a song turns on with a high pitched frequency, or a song that she just doesn't like, she could be stuck with it.

• Yes, there is nothing wrong with here working that long and crating a dog. Greyhounds have been raised all their life that way.I work 9 hours, although not crated, my dog is super. He was crated for 7 months after adoption to see if he developed any bad separation anxiety issues while at work.Crating is awesome for puppies to develope good behavior traits.make the crate his safe place, fun, filled with peanut butter frozen Kong's (they take forever to thaw) and occupy so much time.Favorite toys, etc. Most dogs do not want to defecate or urinate in the same place as they sleep - trust me - I rescue greyhounds and all are crated until adoption.Short haired dogs, don't have the protection as do the long-hair, and if the dog has been kept inside, it doesn't have the tolerance to withstand the outside elements.Asking a vet will also help greatly - and most of the time - it's free by phoning