Would you rather adopt a dog, or buy a new puppy from a shelter?

The real question being, what would help you make your decision toward adopting a lonely loving dog from a shelter - and would you ever consider being a foster parent to an animal? Just trying to see how our society feels overall.

The real question being, what would help you make your decision toward adopting a lonely loving dog from a shelter - and would you ever consider being a foster parent to an animal? Just trying to see how our society feels overall....
    General Dog Discussions : Would you rather adopt a dog, or buy a new puppy from a shelter?...

• Would you rather adopt a dog, or buy a new puppy from a shelter?

Would you rather adopt a dog, or buy a new puppy from a shelter? General Dog Discussions
      The real question being, what would help you make your decision toward adopting a lonely loving dog from a shelter - and would you ever consider being a foster parent to an animal? Just trying to see how our society feels overall.

Would you rather adopt a dog, or buy a new puppy from a shelter? General Dog Discussions
    • I have four fosters right now on top of my five dogs and my cats. I even dumped a puppy on my neighbor because I recently fostered a parvo puppy and didn't want to risk the puppy found a few streets over to get it. Craziest is she took it for me. I have a leash attached to my front porch so that instead of people dumping them they can at least hook them up till I get out there to get them. Pray for good adoptions tomorrow so I can make room to save more.

• actually i have done both but now looking back i would probally get a new puppy and go thru the teething all over again cuz so much easier to train than a adult dog that someone had reason to gfive up and then find out what the reason was

• I am a foster parent! I foster dogs for Great Dane Rescue of North Texas. It is SO rewarding! I get to care for all the sweet dogs that never knew a loving home and watch them blossom into wonderful dogs, then help them find the PERFECT home for them with the right family to carry on. I will eventually adopt one (the good thing about fostering is I get to test drive them first and see how they fit in my home before choosing one) when I find the one that is perfect for my home. Fostering and adopting from humane groups is a great way to get a dog. They are almost always tested for behavior problems first, neutered, vaccinated, tested for heartworms, dewormed, etc and you know you are saving a life.

• Depending if the shelter had the kind of dog that I was looking for, yes I would adopt one from a shelter or humane society. I have before and next time I'm in the market for a dog, I will probably start at a shelter.I personally wouldn't foster a dog, only because I get too attached to animals very quickly. I have considered being a foster parent for dogs in the past, but after talking to the different organizations, and some people that have done it in the past, I know that I couldn't give the dog up after any length of time.

• I've had three staffs, the last one of which is 12 now. All were got at 7/8 weeks old (i was 10,12&13y/o) I know i'll get more in the future but as i'm not a kid i'll have to go for one about a year old from a rescue centre coz i won't be with it 24/7 which all pups need. I look forward to giving a dog that needs it a good home, because all pets only turn out and develope the way owners let them, same as kids.

• I breed and own purebred dogs and have also had a HORRID experience with an adopted shelter dog. However, I work at a shelter and currently have my 10th foster doggie.I think whatever works for you is the best choice!!!!

• Personally i have done both. The majority of my dogs have been rescues. i have only gotten twop of my dogs from shelters and the rest i have gotten from people who bought a cute little Border Collie puppy and then six months later after they have done absolutley no training with their dog and it eats the sofa they call me to resuce them both. But sorry sice i breed and show dogs i kind of don't have choice where i get my dogs. But if didn't show i would deffinatly get my dogs from a shelter. the dogs from shetlers or that have been abused seem to be a little more loving they know what's like to have a crappy life and once they get adopted they don't want to leave the good life.While the dogs that you get from breeders don't know what it 's like to have to fight for food or be scared every second of the day. and that tends to make them a little harder to trian. But i'm tried of typing so i'm going to stop. oh yeh i would definatly foster dogs if had the room.

• I adopted 3 dogs from the shelter, than decided to foster from a local sanctuary. My first was a 2 year old blind german shepard mix, than an 11 year old chow/lab that had dog issues, and then a boston terrier/beagle that was afraid of the world. Fostering is great, but I could never bring myself to let them be adopted by another, so I have now officially adopted them. Then, I found a 7yr. old Karelian Bear Dog/? and adopted him from a shelter. There are so many +'s to adopting, or fostering an older rescue dog. The chewing and digging that comes with a puppy is my favorite reason! :)

• I myself, would rather adopt a dog. There are lots of awesome animals out there that are surrendered through no fault of their own (OK, I'll admit, I'm a shelter care worker). People don't seem to realize too that we don't get just mutts! We have had rare dogs (Chinese crested, Smooth coated Collies), champion dogs and purebreeds with papers.The cats are the same! To me, an older dog with personality is so much more heartwarming and they're already altered, housebroken, cheaper to raise (as far as the vetting for puppies) and what you see is what you get! Yes, sometimes they do come with baggage, but with patience, love, and training most problems can be overcome. I have also been a foster mom and recommend it highly. It's hard when they leave but it is also a wonderful feeling when that right home is found. I am also involved in rescue work. Also difficult at times for the same reasons and happy for the same reasons. I now know why rescues are so picky about who their animals go to-you put alot of time, effort and love into these animals!(besides the financial costs). Too often animals are thought of as a disposable commodity (especially in our rural farm communities such as the one I live in) and it breaks my heart. And yes, my pets are spoiled. I realized that the other day when it took me longer to launder their bedding than my own! (they have beds in all the major rooms in the house). All of my animals are special needs dogs/cat: they have health problems that make them "unadoptable", ie: bad hearts, skin conditions, hypothyroid, etc. They now have a good home to live out the rest of their lives, however long that may be. And do they love me for it? UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

• I already foster for a pet rescue organization. Fostering is wonderful but it is sometimes hard to see them go. I would definitely ADOPT from a shelter before buying a puppy. My best friend bought a pure bred Golden Retriever from a breeder and has spent over $2000 as the dog has chronic skin allergies. The mutts seem more hardy, less genetic problems and they thank you every day in their own special way for saving their life.