Is it normal for a female dog who has never had puppies to adopt an abandond kitten and start lactating?

I have a 5 year old doberman, never been bred. Who, last night adopted a kitten that we were trying to bottle feed (with little success). She has started to produce milk and keeps moving the kitten to her bed. She cleans, feeds, and snuggles with it. She…

Is it normal for a female dog who has never had puppies to adopt an abandond kitten and start lactating?

I have a 5 year old doberman, never been bred. Who, last night adopted a kitten that we were trying to bottle feed (with little success). She has started to produce milk and keeps moving the kitten to her bed. She cleans, feeds, and snuggles with it. She…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it normal for a female dog who has never had puppies to adopt an abandond kitten and start lactating?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it normal for a female dog who has never had puppies to adopt an abandond kitten and start lactating?

Is it normal for a female dog who has never had puppies to adopt an abandond kitten and start lactating? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 5 year old doberman, never been bred. Who, last night adopted a kitten that we were trying to bottle feed (with little success). She has started to produce milk and keeps moving the kitten to her bed. She cleans, feeds, and snuggles with it. She has even chased away our other cat who was bothering the kitten. Is this normal, or harmful to the kitten in any way.

Is it normal for a female dog who has never had puppies to adopt an abandond kitten and start lactating? General Dog Discussions
    • its very normal your dog wants to be a mother just make sure the dob does not lay on her id continue bottle feeding the kitten as the dog may not produce enough milk also add calcium pills to your dogs diet ^ Good luck

• Perfectly normal...just the maternal instincts kicking in. Just like if we (usually women, but men also) see a small child looking lost, we would probably help them and try to calm them down...even if we hadn't had a child necessarily. The milk producing part seems weird, but it's fine since the kitten seems to be comfortable and the dog is treating her nicely.

• i had a cat that adopted a bunnie it was funny to see. i knew this dog that adopted a calf i hand feed it and the dog would lick it and sit with it and worry over it. but it will not hurt any thing and the kitten will be fine.

• This is completely normal this is just the dog showing compassion like a mother adopting a child. Dont worry the same thing happened with my boston mastiff. I asked the vet and they said it was ok.

• Funny as it may seem I have heard that if you suck enough something will come out. Seriously. Did you watch the hand that rocks the cradle. A baby latched onto some other woman

• kludwin wrote:

My 5 yr old boxer has adopted a kitten. The kitten nurses from her, however, Im not sure if she is actually getting anything out or if its just for comfort.

Well sometimes female hormones cause such phenomenons and in most of the cases they are permanent ... however you should be careful that your dog does not get aggressive toward the kitten or later your cat...

Try to address her behaviour toward the kitten for about 1-2 months and hopefully everything will be fine forever.

Good luck,
      Ali.