What is the most versatile dog breed as far as coloring goes?

I always wondered. Most dog breeds seem to be one or two colors and patterns and that's it. My guess is border collie, since I recently found out they can practically be any color imaginable. Is there any breed that has more coloring options than…

I always wondered. Most dog breeds seem to be one or two colors and patterns and that's it. My guess is border collie, since I recently found out they can practically be any color imaginable. Is there any breed that has more coloring options than…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is the most versatile dog breed as far as coloring goes?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the most versatile dog breed as far as coloring goes?

What is the most versatile dog breed as far as coloring goes? Dog Breed Discussions
      I always wondered. Most dog breeds seem to be one or two colors and patterns and that's it. My guess is border collie, since I recently found out they can practically be any color imaginable. Is there any breed that has more coloring options than border collies?

What is the most versatile dog breed as far as coloring goes? Dog Breed Discussions
    • My breed, the Chihuahua, can be any color or any combination of colors.There are no color restrictions. Although with most breeds, there is standard & alternative color/markings & some colors are more popular in the show ring.*&* whoever gave me the TD needs to get a LIFE!If you want proofhttp://www.akc.org/breeds/chihuahua/index.cfm

• I don't know. I know danes only have 6 recognized colors.Border collies, chihuahuas, and shih tzus are all pretty colorful. I think I also heard something about poms coming in any color too.Dane acceptable colors: Fawn, Brindle, Black, Blue, Mantle, Harlequin. Unacceptable: White, Blue Merle. Of course, with many dane judges, they'll tell you only "fawns" are the true dane, and all other colors are worthless trash. So I agree with the first answer about "preferred" colors lol.

• Aussies are like border collies, with a great variety of colors AND markings. They even come in pinto and dilute, which is a color fault and shouldn't be bred for.Shih tzus, I am pretty sure any color is acceptable in the show ring. Poodles also have great variety too.

• The akita is a breed that has many color variations and all are acceptable. The only color requirement is black on the muzzle, unless it is an all white one. I read that shitzu's used to come in many color but that many of them fell by the way side when the typical coloring became so popular because some famous idiot or another had some. They are very rare now and some breeders are trying to bring them back. There are some breeds that exist where physical traits were more important than uniform coat color. If I racked my brain I could probably come up with more of them.

• My guess would be American Pit Bull Terrier. They come in more colors than any other dog I have encountered. Look on a website about APBT and you will be amazed at all the colors they come in. Go to About.com and then click dogs. You will also be amazed at how very beautiful these dogs are. Of course I may be prejudious because I own 2 of them now and have have 6 of them at one time or another.

• Afghan hounds come in a huge variety of colors - black, white, cream, apricot, blonde, red (and they're all from self-masked, to shaded-masked, to black-masked), black-masked silver, blue, all shades of brindles, black and tan, black and silver; black and tans can have the dilution gene making them black, blue and silver/tan, dominoes, reverse dominoes and there may have been a few I've missed.

• I would have to say the Pit Bull & Greyhound would be pretty close to the top.Genetically, the APBT can produce *any* known coat color/pattern EXCEPT for merle. Merle is the only color disqualification; all evidence suggests that the genes do not exist in the breed simply because a merle dog has NEVER occurred until very recently. So-called "merle pit bulls" have mostly been popping up among breeders of questionable integrity (blue hippo 150 lb "ambully" kennels, for instance)....and when they exist, it's pretty much a given there is a Catahoula in the woodpile somewhere. http://www.apbtconformation.com/merle.htmGreyhounds come in a wide variety of colors & patterns as well; the racing association recognizes 16 distinct colors/patterns....but the AKC standard considers color to be "immaterial". No faults or DQ's no matter what the color. There are other breeds I'm sure where the genetic basis exists to produce unlimited colors/patterns, but those are the two common breeds that come to mind first :)