What should I know about a German Shepherd?

I have owned a GSD before, but since it was a puppy. We are adopting a 4 year old female from an ederly couple that can not take care of her anymore. I do not know these people and we are meeting the dog for the first time tonight. This is an outside…

I have owned a GSD before, but since it was a puppy. We are adopting a 4 year old female from an ederly couple that can not take care of her anymore. I do not know these people and we are meeting the dog for the first time tonight. This is an outside…...
    General Dog Discussions : What should I know about a German Shepherd?...

• What should I know about a German Shepherd?

What should I know about a German Shepherd? General Dog Discussions
      I have owned a GSD before, but since it was a puppy. We are adopting a 4 year old female from an ederly couple that can not take care of her anymore. I do not know these people and we are meeting the dog for the first time tonight. This is an outside dog, which it will remain when we adopt her. We might chain her for the first week or so, but after that she will have free roam of the property(about 3 acres). I know GSD are great 'pack' dogs and chances are she will greatly miss her old owners. What are some things we can do to try and acclimate her to her new home?

What should I know about a German Shepherd? General Dog Discussions
    • It will depend on her personality. If she is shy, it will take a while for her to bond to you and she might not let you touch her. If she is loving and outgoing, ask the couple for her toys and then play catch/fetch/tug-a-war - whatever, just have fun with her. Also, treats will let her know that she is wanted and she needs to know who will be feeding her - that YOU are now her 'pack'. If your property is safely fenced, you might not need to chain her up at all - again, depends on her personality. Good luck!!

• German sgeperds, if not trained properly from puppyhood, con be distructive and smoetimes vicous. They love their family, but do NOT love strangers. They need a job, but they do not do well as servise dogs, take it from an experianced handler. I would not suggest them to in-experienced dog owners.