I have a 3 years old King Charles Cavalier and i am adopting a Chihuahua/Yorkshire?

cross Puppy next Saturday?My Cavalier is very Gentle with Kids but very Boisterous!! Any suggestions to help with introducing the new pup,or advice in general would be gratefully receivedThanks .

I have a 3 years old King Charles Cavalier and i am adopting a Chihuahua/Yorkshire?

cross Puppy next Saturday?My Cavalier is very Gentle with Kids but very Boisterous!! Any suggestions to help with introducing the new pup,or advice in general would be gratefully receivedThanks ....
    General Dog Discussions : I have a 3 years old King Charles Cavalier and i am adopting a Chihuahua/Yorkshire?...

• I have a 3 years old King Charles Cavalier and i am adopting a Chihuahua/Yorkshire?

I have a 3 years old King Charles Cavalier and i am adopting a Chihuahua/Yorkshire? General Dog Discussions
      cross Puppy next Saturday?My Cavalier is very Gentle with Kids but very Boisterous!! Any suggestions to help with introducing the new pup,or advice in general would be gratefully receivedThanks .

I have a 3 years old King Charles Cavalier and i am adopting a Chihuahua/Yorkshire? General Dog Discussions
    • i own a yorkie chihuahua mix and they are a handfullll!!! let me just warn you!theses two dogs are very similar in attitude and characteristics so i dont really see a problem with them becoming friends. HOWEVER!!! if your pup is anything like mine they will be super territorial and jealous. make sure to devote enough time to both!! dont play favorites even though i know its super hard with those cute little faces and paws. also, establish whos toys are whose and make sure they have their own food bowls. dont expect them to share right off the bat. make sure you dont change any old routines with your first dog. he may feel second best and get lost in the new changes.i really hope this helps! p.s. if they start to fight, you just gotta tough it out.they may not tho so just see what happens (:good luck!

• I think you should let them meet before you adopt the puppy. Introduce them while both are on a leash. I think taking them on a walk together is the best. Their energy won't ALL be focused on the new dog next to them. This sounds gross, but let them sniff each other's pee or poo. It's the best way for dogs to get to know each other. Play with them in an enclosed yard and just let them sniff each other. They'll get used to each other eventually.

• i think what would be best is to have someone walk your new puppy on a leash and you walk your dog, then you meet partway on the sidewalk and start walking all together. then take both dogs and let them sniff each other. then if you want to let them off in a large area and play together