Is buying two puppies a good solution for a full time worker?

I would like a puppy, but since I work long hours, it would be outright selfish and unfair to the pup. I really want a puppy though. Would it be fair if I bought/adopted a brother and sister so that they can take care of each other while i'm away?

I would like a puppy, but since I work long hours, it would be outright selfish and unfair to the pup. I really want a puppy though. Would it be fair if I bought/adopted a brother and sister so that they can take care of each other while i'm away?...
    General Dog Discussions : Is buying two puppies a good solution for a full time worker?...

• Is buying two puppies a good solution for a full time worker?

Is buying two puppies a good solution for a full time worker? General Dog Discussions
      I would like a puppy, but since I work long hours, it would be outright selfish and unfair to the pup. I really want a puppy though. Would it be fair if I bought/adopted a brother and sister so that they can take care of each other while i'm away?

Is buying two puppies a good solution for a full time worker? General Dog Discussions
    • Its a good solution but maybe not brother or sisters from the same litter.They will end up too strongly bonded and you will just feel like the spare part in their relationship.

• Puppies can't take care of each other. Get an older puppy, or have someone help (like a babysitter for the pups for a few hours while you work). Someone has to teach them obedience and potty training, if you're never around, when will they learn?

• No, it's a bad plan. Training puppies is hard work and someone needs to be home at some point in the day or at least come home for lunch for potty breaks, play and meals. Training two at the same time is insanity. A much better plan is to adopt a young adult dog, fully train that dog both in housebreaking and obedience and then later adopt a second young adult dog. The first well-trained dog will usually help teach the second one the ropes.

• No, double the dogs, double the needed exercise and everything else. And puppies need a lot of exercise and discipline to be balanced well behaved dogs. I would not suggest get two dogs just because some people give themselves too much to handle and then end up giving the dog away of taking it to spca or something

• Don't get a dog at all if you don't have the time to devote to it. Puppies are demanding at the best of times and 2 of them would have you run ragged. If you seriously want a dog, perhaps as a companion at nights, then get a fully grown dog from a dogs' home. Not only will it already be trained (probably), you will be giving a dog a new chance in life.Seriously though, DO NOT get a dog at all, if you don't have time to give it love, attention and lots of long walks.

• No, it actually may be worse. Many responsible breeders won't sell two pups at the same time. Often, one pup will bond to the owner & the other pup will bond to the other dog causing training to be difficult. I find it much easier to have one dog, train it to adult hood & then consider another. I think you should seriously consider your hours. If you are too busy to properly care for one dog, you certainly won't be able to care for two. It's hard, but take a real, honest look at how much time you can really give a dog. Also, you might be better suited to adopting an older dog that is already house broken, used to being home alone during the day & has some training under its belt. Many rescues use private fosters so the dog is living in a family situation. They will be able to tell you if you're a good fit or not.

• Honestly, if you think you can handle the housebreaking, I think it's better. It is absolutely not true that you'd end up feeling like the third wheel though, I've kept two pups from the same litter for myself before and we get along fabulously. It's so sweet that they can play together and not get lonely. I say go for it (if you have a nice sized yard), but the beginning is going to be a little rough.

• It may be more fun for the pup, but there are a few things to consider here.-That's double the amount of time you will have to spend with them. Double the training, double the cost of food, double the vet bills, not to mention double the poop!-When bringing in two puppies into one house at the same time, you have to be extra careful-they will grow extremely attached to one another, and although this is cute and can be good in some aspects, it becomes a HUGE issue if they for some reason have to be separated (even if one has to go to the vet, and the other has to stay at home). Separation anxiety is a horrible thing for a dog to go through, so you would have to spend a lot of effort and time keeping them separated and attached to you rather than eachother.-If you feel like you don't have enough time to keep one pup occupied, how will you have time for two? Yes, I realize your intentions are good-the dogs can play with eachother and whatnot-but they still need your human attention and time. Perhaps think of another option.You could drop the puppy off at a friend's house for the day while you are at work. You could have a neighbor (maybe even a kid who is looking for chores to make some allowance) come over and hang out with the puppy for a little bit durring the day.You could take the puppy to a dog-daycare (though I wouldn't recommend it unless it was a last-resort-dog daycares are unnatural packs and can cause behavioural problems in dogs if the dogs are there a lot).A second puppy could indeed work, if you were careful about it and conscious of what you are getting yourself into, but I would personally try to find another way around it.

• well if no one is around during the day or when ever your out at work then the answer is no dont have them and yes it would be wrong as they need attention and excercise , so find a partner who can do this for you

• Why not rescue an older dog that would be happily left for long hours - but you could spoil when you are home.Then you would be giving a dog a well needed loving home - but would not run the risk of neglecting a puppy which needs hours of time set aside for training?The final thing to think about here would be (in my opinion) if you don't have the time to look after one puppy - would you really have the time to look after two. What is originally a very demanding task - taking on a puppy - would surely then become double the work??

• Sounds good, but you know it will be DOUBLE the trouble, DOUBLE the work when you are home, DOUBLE the food, DOUBLE the vet bills, DOUBLE double double etc.as long as you can pay for it, money wise and time wise...and love wise (do you have enough love to give? ) it should be okay, but you have to ask a breeder or etc about the breed and tolerance, etc, behaviours to make sure they dont kill eachother (lol, i mean hurt), while your gone, etc. Ask the proffesionals!

• No, if you are too busy to look after a puppy, you are way too busy to look after two, they do not need another pup they need a pack leader and if you want to be that, which you do, then you should be there more often.