Is this a good Afghan Hound show breeder?

http://kaimarafs.com/index.html (hopefully the link works this time)Yes, show breeder-- sorry for all you shelter advocates, no, I am not looking for some rescue dog. I am looking for a purebred afghan hound puppy of quality lines...

http://kaimarafs.com/index.html (hopefully the link works this time)Yes, show breeder-- sorry for all you shelter advocates, no, I am not looking for some rescue dog. I am looking for a purebred afghan hound puppy of quality lines......
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is this a good Afghan Hound show breeder?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is this a good Afghan Hound show breeder?

Is this a good Afghan Hound show breeder? Dog Breed Discussions
      http://kaimarafs.com/index.html (hopefully the link works this time)Yes, show breeder-- sorry for all you shelter advocates, no, I am not looking for some rescue dog. I am looking for a purebred afghan hound puppy of quality lines...

Is this a good Afghan Hound show breeder? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Did you find that breeder through the Afghan Hound Club of America website or just find a puppy seller online? Sorry, I don't go to websites so I didn't see the site. The Afghan Hound Club of America is your best place to find a quality dog. Other online breeders are almost all puppy mills and BYBs. Even puppy mills get Champion sired dogs sometimes, so don't go by that. Unless you have experience showing dogs, come from a dog show family or have a great mentor, the breeder may not want to sell you a show prospect, or at least not the best show prospect he or she has.

• Haha good for you for going with a show dog. Best of the best. Usually any AKC breeder that has Grand Champions and actual show pictures is legit. That looks like a good one.

• They seem to have a good quality breeding line. The only thing that I find skeptical and questionable is when breeders have available dogs without giving reasoning. Of course it could just be that the dog didn't like the show ring, is retiring, or for another issue - but at the same time it could be because of a bad reason. They have a pretty good puppy questionnaire also, although it can be a tough interview it means they care about their dogs.

• I see evidence of showing, genetic testing, agility . . . the website is a little messy so what I'd like to see first and foremost are health clearances for all breeding dogs as well as documentation of being a member in good standing of the Afghan hound breed club.Other than that, looks pretty good - but always contact to be sure!

• All the dogs appear to have champion titles in the conformation ring (Ch or GCh), but genetic testing is not mentioned for the b*tches. Also, for some dogs, it only says, "tested for thyroid", while it reads "thyroid normal" for others; I'd ask more about health clearance scores. No sample contract with spay/neuter and return clauses is mentioned either. The breeder has a link for the Afghan Hound Club of America, but does not say if she is a member. I think that this is most likely a good breeder that just doesn't have as much information on her website.

• They breed a good substancy hound, without leaning to 'fad'.I like their hounds and their breeding program. Afghans are blessed with very little genetic disease, compared to other breeds, so I wouldn't worry about the lack of advertised test scores.I would ask them about the longevity of their hounds. Ask about "what the oldsters have died from" .This breed should be long-lived (about 16-18 years) , so you want to know how old their dogs are living. Many of the top 'show' kennels are producing hounds that only live 12-13 years. Stay away from any breeder with hypothyroid or cancers in their history.