How to train a two year old japenese akita?

My akita is 2 years old and only knows the command stay and come here.Here rarely sits so its hard to teach him sit and I cannot push him on his hind because he tends to shove his head quickly towards the direction of my hand.I find it difficult teaching…

My akita is 2 years old and only knows the command stay and come here.Here rarely sits so its hard to teach him sit and I cannot push him on his hind because he tends to shove his head quickly towards the direction of my hand.I find it difficult teaching…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How to train a two year old japenese akita?...

• How to train a two year old japenese akita?

How to train a two year old japenese akita? Dogs Training Discussions
      My akita is 2 years old and only knows the command stay and come here.Here rarely sits so its hard to teach him sit and I cannot push him on his hind because he tends to shove his head quickly towards the direction of my hand.I find it difficult teaching him leave it for fear him may accidentally bite my hand.He is a great dog and friendly just protective of his owner and 'our territory'!!!I have googled many questions but they only seem to be for puppies we got him when he wasn't a puppy.

How to train a two year old japenese akita? Dogs Training Discussions
    • It doesn't matter that he isn't a puppy, the training is mostly the same. Their brains learn the same way for the most part - the main problem with some older dogs is "unlearning" bad habits.To teach "sit," for example, I hold the treat up, out of reach. That makes the dog look up. Gently push in the join of the dog's back legs at the same time - like you would for back of the "knees" on a person. His rump will go down. Immediately praise and treat.Even the commands he knows well - run through them and reward daily. It reinforces not only the bond, but the position you maintain in his eyes - that he is in the habit of taking direction from you.If he doesn't snatch and grab things, teach him drop or leave it by not letting go in the first place. When he grabs the end of a toy, gently push at the hinge of his jaw while giving him the command. As soon as he releases, treat, praise, and give him his toy back. I usually don't do it sequentially for drop - unless it's for fetching - so the dog doesn't associate it with always giving up what he's got permanently.If anyone else lives with you, have them work with him as well. Akitas are large and will guard their "people" and property - he needs to obey everyone there in case a repairman needs to come in unexpectedly!

• I've had Akitas my whole life and they tend to be very food motivated..Use a special treat, fresh cheese/beef/chicken as positive reinforcement. Special for training.Lots and lots of repetition, daily, do not get frustrated. Use training with treats as a supplement for a daily meal if possible.. Further glueing together food and training.If you are worried about touching or forcibly maneuvering him, then make a game of it..There is a training exercise we call 'gotcha'.. Abruptly grab his collar or hips, key in a voice command such as gotchya, then reward the touch (or allowing the touch) with praise and reward..

• Stay and come are probably the most important things a dog can learn, so that's a very good start. There is a lot of free information and videos on training on these 2 websites. Both advocate kind, positive training methods that are suitable for adult dogs www.dogstardaily.com, www.dogmantics.com Clicker training is a method you can use without touching your dog, it takes a bit of practice to get your timing right but it is very effective www.clickertraining.comGood luck, and have fun training.