How can you tell if a female Jack Russel is pregnant?

I have a 2 year old Jack Russel (which is now on heat)and, for the past 2 months, a 6 year old male Jack Russel (which is missing a back leg..!). In the past few days they have been trying to mate, but both are inexperienced and the lack of a back leg…

I have a 2 year old Jack Russel (which is now on heat)and, for the past 2 months, a 6 year old male Jack Russel (which is missing a back leg..!). In the past few days they have been trying to mate, but both are inexperienced and the lack of a back leg…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How can you tell if a female Jack Russel is pregnant?...

• How can you tell if a female Jack Russel is pregnant?

How can you tell if a female Jack Russel is pregnant? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have a 2 year old Jack Russel (which is now on heat)and, for the past 2 months, a 6 year old male Jack Russel (which is missing a back leg..!). In the past few days they have been trying to mate, but both are inexperienced and the lack of a back leg makes the dog quite precarious..! I was wondering how likely it is for my dog to get pregnant by the dog; and if they were successful, how would I tell if she was pregnant?

How can you tell if a female Jack Russel is pregnant? Dogs Training Discussions
    • if she is pregnant she will slowly put on weight but the only way to tell is by taking her to the vet 30 days after mating, the vet may be able to feel something or do a scan to know for sure

• if your bitch puts on weight even thou you aren't feeding her more than usual, did they get stuck to getter for a hour?sorry I cant call a female dog a dog seems wrong, so I called it a bitch and have been censored

• I can tell you how to prevent all of this! Spay your female and Neuter your male!! How simple, to avoid all of the headaches of mating and heats and puppies!!If it is too late and she indeed IS pregnant, then she should be at her vet.

• The standard heat cycle for a female is three weeks. The first and third weeks she will not be receptive to the male. The second week she will be very receptive to mating and if mating is successful, puppies will be born anywhere from 58 to 65 days after mating. You can have your female "tested" by your veterinarian at about day 30 - 32. The experienced vet can feel the tiny fetuses by gently palpitating the female, but only during this narrow window of time. It is suggested that the layperson not try this palpitation for fear of harming the fetuses. Of course you can also use ultrasound to see if the female is pregnant, but the cost is rather high.You might want to check out this web page, http://petpeoplesplace.com/resources/articles/dogs/faq02.htm It really should answer quite a bit of your questions.