How can i stop my 5 month old female springer spaniel dog from urinating when ever she is excited or told off.?

My 5 month old springer seems to urinate every time she gets excited or if she gets told off, i never use physical force just raising the tone of my voice seems to trigger it off. She has been house trained since very early on and has been doing really…

How can i stop my 5 month old female springer spaniel dog from urinating when ever she is excited or told off.?

My 5 month old springer seems to urinate every time she gets excited or if she gets told off, i never use physical force just raising the tone of my voice seems to trigger it off. She has been house trained since very early on and has been doing really…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How can i stop my 5 month old female springer spaniel dog from urinating when ever she is excited or told off.?...

• How can i stop my 5 month old female springer spaniel dog from urinating when ever she is excited or told off.?

How can i stop my 5 month old female springer spaniel dog from urinating when ever she is excited or told off.? Dogs Training Discussions
      My 5 month old springer seems to urinate every time she gets excited or if she gets told off, i never use physical force just raising the tone of my voice seems to trigger it off. She has been house trained since very early on and has been doing really well, but this problem has just started and seems to becoming more frequent. So any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

How can i stop my 5 month old female springer spaniel dog from urinating when ever she is excited or told off.? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Ah -- stop raising your voice and "telling her off". She's obviously a submissive piddler and fear or anxiety triggers her piddling. Keep her calm, don't walk directly at her or raise your voice and she will get over this.I have a dachshund who had the same problem, owner used to scold him for piddling when he was a puppy, poor guy was so confused and fearful he was afraid even when he peed outside.Took a year of never confronting or scaring him, but he got over it.Speak to her nicely, stay calm, don't scare her by looming over her or walking directly at her - she'll calm down and stop being afraid.Of course you have had your vet check her for a uti -- that would be the first thing needs doing.

• First off, take her to the vet to make sure she doesn't have a urinary infection.If she's clear, it could just be submissive urination which may be worse as she could be coming into season. Most dogs grow out of it as they mature, gain more confidence and have better control over their bladders but this explains it well:http://www.clickandtreat.com/webart105.htm

• submissive urination is quite normal in puppies. My pup use to piddle when she was over excited and approached by someone new who was happy to see her. The key is to keep her from getting that excited. If you praise her with happy tones that are squeaky like and loud and this sets her off you need to stop that and learn to praise her with your normal voice. If its when she first sees you and you are also happy to see her wait until she calms down to pet her and let her know you are happy to see her too. You can do this by standing still when you walk through the door and waiting for her to calm down. Remind her though that even though your standing still its not okay to jump. If the tone of your voice triggers her with "Telling her off" you are obviously over-using the tone of your voice. Meaning you are going on and on too much. A simple "No" and thats it should be enough to tell a dog off. You don't need to continue with "No, Bad dog. Bad dog no! Baaad dog!" i've seen a lot of people do this. And a dog doesn't need that much. it just needs a simple "no"Hope this helps you!

• There are instances where a dog forgets the house rules due to a sudden change in his environment that caused it to be stressed and suddenly act oddly. Fortunately this can be corrected again by personally repotty training your dog, this will not only keep you in control of the situation just in case the behavior occurs again but also give you and your dog extra time together to bond and be closer which is very important to a dog-pet relationship.I recommend that you watch my 4 minute dog potty training video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka_K7zFahJg which will give you useful tips on how to effectively re potty train your dog.Enjoy the bonding time with your dog while training - this builds his confidence and makes him more enthusiastic with the training!