I have a 18month old English springer spaniel bitch who pees every time she gets excited?

Will it stop or is it something she will always do?

I have a 18month old English springer spaniel bitch who pees every time she gets excited?

Will it stop or is it something she will always do?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : I have a 18month old English springer spaniel bitch who pees every time she gets excited?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have a 18month old English springer spaniel bitch who pees every time she gets excited?

I have a 18month old English springer spaniel bitch who pees every time she gets excited? Dogs Training Discussions
      Will it stop or is it something she will always do?

I have a 18month old English springer spaniel bitch who pees every time she gets excited? Dogs Training Discussions
    • It's totally normal for a puppy to pee when they get excited. They usually calm down as they get older and after they are spayed/neutered. Try calming he/she down before it happens. If she doesn't grow out of it in a year or so, consider taking her to the vet for answers.

• My golden had the same problem when she was young...She grew out of it.From experience,I can say is that this is a common problem and she will almost definitely grow out of it.

• First of all i'll address the excited peeing or submissive peeing as it's called. Dogs are going to be naturally super excited when you come home, and we as humans encourage that excitedness by say "Hi baby, how was your day, momma missed you (in a high excited voice)" and we pet our dogs, well for some dogs if they are submissive will pee and sometimes roll on their backs bearing their stomach. Is this what happens at your house? What you need to do for the next few months (EVERYONE) has to do this, family, friends, neighbors etc to work. When you come home DON'T speak to the dog, don't look at the dog and don't touch the dog. Come home, open the crate take straight outside to pee and do it's business and as soon as she calms down, THEN you can pet her calmly (do not fuss over her), if she rolls over on her back immediately stop petting and walk away. When she calms down pet her again. This will need to be followed by ALL the household members including guests, when they come over they are to ignore the wiggling bundle of love jumping around their legs tell friends "Dont' touch her she's in training" that stops people from touching immediately. Tell them to totally ignore her until she calms down, then give your guests permission to pet her but tell them if she rolls on her back to stop immediately. After several months of this she will eventually stop submissive peeing (it's how we stopped my moms puppy from doing it)As for the crate issue. Did you introduce her to her crate slowly and over time or did you just shove her in and lock the door and expect her to understand what is going on? Did you ease her in there and make it a "happy" place? Do you make sure she has completely emptied her bowels before bringing her inside and crating her? or did she only pee and when she got in her crate she had to poop? It's not that she get's mad, that's a human emotion put on a dog, she probably just didn't get to empty her bowels and unfortunately had to go and had no choice but to go in her crate. Was she bought from a pet store? Dogs from pet stores have learned to go in their crate, so housebreaking is impossible by crating. Research crate training on the internet, there are some very helpful websites, make sure that you did what they tell you to do to have a successfully crated dog, and that she has completely emptied her bowels before recrating.Good luck

• I have a dachshund I adopted who has the same problem, it's the reason his people dumped him.He was an extreme piddler, submissive and when excited. The key is not to make a big fuss when you come home, don't yell at him or hit him if he does something wrong, just keep him calm.Mine was so bad we called him a water fountain - we learned never to pick him up when he was belly up (and he also rolled over if you approached him), rather to get him fast while he was standing if we needed to pick him up - or we would be soaked.We have had him for 3 years now (he's 4) and he hardly ever piddles anymore, from fear or excitement - so, yes, there certainly is hope your spaniel will outgrow this if you don't get him excited or afraid - just be calm with him and don't make a big fuss leaving or coming home - that's when the piddling is major usually.Good luck - can be done in spite of what some people say - this is my second experience with a piddler - the other one is doing well too, a puppy I fostered then adopted out to a great family.

• I have a springer btch too and she is 7 nearly 8 now and she only does it on special occasions now!! Usually when a stranger comes to the door and fusses her. It's not much and she is a whole lot better than she used to be. Think patience and trying to ignore it is the best way forward. If you scold them, they tend to pee even more.

• This is also a sign of submission.... try and build up her confidence. Has she had a season ? what was she like ?Any worries I would take her along to your vet for a chat...

• In my experience this is something that female dogs do. It gets less as they get older but I had a lab who still did it occasionally until her dying day.The really sad thing was that she was so clean normally that she used to get really upset when she did it.It will get better over time but it sounds like she may be one of those pups who could possibly have it for life

• She's still quite young, and this is just a natural reaction when she's excited!! Both of our German Pointers did it, but we learned not to make a fuss or draw attention to it, and they both just grew out of it!! Don't worry....it'll soon stop!

• the little lass will grow out of it don't give up try not getting her too excited. You do know springers never really grow up. Mine was 15 when I lost him to a heart attact and he was never an "old dog" after 4 years I still miss him like hell