Can anyone offer help/advice about buying/looking after King Charles Spaniels?

I am thinking of buying a King Charles Spaniel for my parents. They love animals and have recently lost their cat in a traffic accident, which has left them devestated. They don't feel they can get another cat for fear of the same thing happening, so I…

I am thinking of buying a King Charles Spaniel for my parents. They love animals and have recently lost their cat in a traffic accident, which has left them devestated. They don't feel they can get another cat for fear of the same thing happening, so I…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Can anyone offer help/advice about buying/looking after King Charles Spaniels?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can anyone offer help/advice about buying/looking after King Charles Spaniels?

Can anyone offer help/advice about buying/looking after King Charles Spaniels? Dogs Training Discussions
      I am thinking of buying a King Charles Spaniel for my parents. They love animals and have recently lost their cat in a traffic accident, which has left them devestated. They don't feel they can get another cat for fear of the same thing happening, so I have suggested a dog. They have never had a dog before, but as they are at home alot now, I thought it might be a good idea and have read that King charles Spaniels would be a good dog to start with. Any help advice would be welcome - Where can I get a puppy form etc. Thanks for your time.

Can anyone offer help/advice about buying/looking after King Charles Spaniels? Dogs Training Discussions
    • what a lovely thought!Contact the Kennel Clubthey can give you a list of reputable breeders whom you can contact for up and coming litters as well as plenty of advicegood luckhttp://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/EDITTo be honest i wouldnt buy any dog who is advertised in a newspaper or websiteGood breeders DO NOT need to advertise

• I dont think its a good idea to buy a pet for your parents. They may not yet be ready for another pet. If they want a dog, let them research some breeds and figure out which they'd like best.Your parents can borrow some books from the library to read about dogs. They can also google "dog breed selector".. there are many of them available on the internet. The selectors ask for information, like if they want a dog that needs alot of exercize, how much time they want to devote to grooming, if they want a protection dog, something easy to train, good with kids/other dogs, what size dog you want, etc. It will match you with several breeds based off the information. Your parents can check out those breeds and decide which ones they like best.www.petfinder.com is a great place to find homeless dogs and puppies. There are purebreds and mixes there! When you adopt a dog, you also save a life!

• As for the puppy, go to www.epupz.co.uk, you can search for the particular breed you want, and then search for any litters available in your area. Then check out pet food websites....a lot of them offer free samples for puppies!.You will find lots of websites detailing puppy care, but you will also find lots of information books concerning this breed on www.amazon.co.uk.Good luck with your new pup!!

• what age group are your parents as these dogs need regular long walks. My sister has had one since a pup, it took a while to house train it and it needs walked about 4 times a day for around 20 minutes each time, they dont live as long as most dogs, something to do with heart problems in that type of dog, she paid £400 about 8 years ago and it has regular visit to the vet and it is a pedigree.

• i have a king charles dog they are easy to look after and can have little exercise to loads mine has never given me any trouble except some daft fly chasing round my living room ,they are easy to train .i got mine by looking for ads and got a pedigree with papers there are different colours tan/white ,ruby or brown/black .puppy just needs taken out during day into garden is fine and allowed to go to the toilet mine slept in a cage overnight and i never had accidents now he is older he never goes to the loo in the house and sleeps in my bed lol.i used local papers and ads for free to find mine ring and ask questions before you go

• That's a really lovely idea! Contact the kennel club and ask for details of breeders in your area! You can contact all the breeders they recommend and ask any questions you have. The more time they take to help you the better the breeder!! Don't forget to visit the pups at their home with their mum and see how mum (and dad if he's there) are with people and how well they're being looked after. Avoid pet shops, exceptionally cheap puppies or ones where you can't meet the mum too because it MIGHT be a sign of probs (such as puppies being taken away from mum too early). Finally, make sure your parents are DEFINITELY 100% up for having a puppy! They're a big responsibility and do have a habit of (occasionally) chewing up the house!! Good luck!! Once again, I think you've come up with a lovely idea, your parents are lucky!

• I agree with nekkiddoglady.... I would wait for your parents to decide on when they need to get another pet. I have seen it countless times where somebody buys a relative or friend a pet and they arent ready for the commitment a dog takes. I would ask them about it first and see what they say and tell them about your idea for the breed. I'm guessing your from the UK, contact the kennel club and ask for a list of competent respectable breeders in your area. PLEASE do not buy from a puppy farm, if they are willing to meet you somewhere, it's a puppy farm. Also ask any other breeders you talk to about each other, they might not have GREAT things to say as they are in competition with one another but if they know of each other, your probably going in the right direction. Many show breeders sell pet quality puppies for much lower prices as well as retired showdogs. An adult dog might actually be better for them, no puppy training etc. A retired show dog would be the perfect fit as they are already extensively trained in obedience. I would also make sure that any breeder you get a dog from does all the recommended testing for that breed, somebody mentioned a heart condition, i'm not familiar with the KCS but if thats an issue as about the dogs pedigree and if theres proof of how the other dogs have died.Just do your best to make an informed decision, for your parents and the dog.

• I have a cavalier king charles spaniel, they are a lovely breed, very affectionate, the only bit of advice I can give is to make sure you ask the breeder as many questions as possible, there is a lot of info on the net and many good books on the subject of buying a puppy, one of the big questions to ask the breeder about is Has both the sire and the bitch had vet checks for heart defects (make sure you see these documents too). Most breeds of dogs have some inherited problems, the Alsation for instance tend to get hip dysplacia and the shit Tzu are know for eye problems etc, so like I said its best to see documents that both parents have been screened for any defects. The best place to start looking to purchase you puppy is from a reputable breeder who wholeheartedly want to only breed healthy pups and want to stamp out all these defects, if you are in the UK a good place to start looking for breeders is The Kennel Clubhope this helps

• They are absolutely gorgeous, loving dogs but really they are a time bomb. Patellar Luxation ( The patella, or kneecap, is part of the stifle joint (knee). In patellar luxation, the kneecap luxates, or pops out of place ) Eye conditions including Entropion (the inversion, or turning inward, of the border of the eyelid against the eyeball) Heart murmurs Ear infections My boy is a tri and I have had him just over a year. He is fearless, will take as much exercise as you care to dish out. He is about eight years old and I was told he had a heart murmur.Well my vet did some relatively expensive tests and he has an enlarged heart that is pushing his lungs and trachea out of place. He has fluid on the lungs. He has medication to lower his blood pressure and diuretics to clear the fluid. His weight must also be controlled.I love him to bits and so does everyone who meets him. Look at the web site http://www.cavalierhealth.com

• When my husband died 5 years ago daughter and son in law bought me a cavalier king Charles, best thing they could have done. cavaliers make wonderful pets and are great companions, they are loyal,intelligent.and have a lovely temperament