How do I get over my fear of dogs ? ?

I got bitten by a dog and have now never liked them, is there any way of getting over my fear ?

I got bitten by a dog and have now never liked them, is there any way of getting over my fear ?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do I get over my fear of dogs ? ?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I get over my fear of dogs ? ?

How do I get over my fear of dogs ? ? Dogs Training Discussions
      I got bitten by a dog and have now never liked them, is there any way of getting over my fear ?

How do I get over my fear of dogs ? ? Dogs Training Discussions
    • You may not like the answer, but the only way to get over any fear is to face it. What I've tried in the past is to get to know the things I'm afraid of. The thing you have to realize about dogs is that they can since when people don't like them or are afraid of them and they are naturally going to go near that person. Dogs can't understand people not liking them, so they try licking, or bringing toys, or jumping on people to get their attention. The best way to get over your fear is to find someone who has a very friendly dog and get to know the dog a little at a time. Try to remember that most dogs just want to be friends. labs and German shepherds are big dogs but some of the friendliest. It takes time but you can overcome your fear of dogs if you get to know one or more of them and even become "friends" with them.

• It's hard to get over any fear. As a child, a dog 'attacked' me. Of course, at that age that's what I thought, since I was 3 and the dog was bigger than me, but it only wanted to play. From then on for the longest time dogs scared me as well. I suggest just taking a day and visiting a pet store with cute puppies, or the dog park. I know it will be hard, but dogs are one of the best animals on this planet, especially as companions. They are the only being that can love you more than they love themselves, and any dog that bites only does that out of true fear, or it was raised improperly, and that is never the dogs' fault. Give them a chance, and you will learn to love our furry friends!! :)

• I highly suggest finding a therapist that deals with phobias. They're even hypnotist (not the cheesy lounge performers) that can help with fears as well. Buying a dog isn't going to get you over your fear.

• Fear of dogs is usually taught to children by their parents. When you approach a dog, don't look at the dog and don't pay him any attention. Dogs sense fear. You can try carrying treats so you can get the dog to listen to your commands and show dominance over the dog.

• You need to face up to your fear before you can get over it.Do you have friends who own dogs? If so, try and spend some time with them, just for a few minutes to start with, then build it up gradually, 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, 20 minutes and so on until you feel more confident. Probably best with a small, calm, well trained dog to start with, then when you feel more confident try it again with another, bigger dog. You could maybe visit a rehoming centre, where the dogs will be locked in their kennels, but you can interact with them through the grilles on their kennels. Go along with a supply of doggy treats and they'll literally be eating out of your hands in minutes The vast majority of dogs love human company and once you are confident around dogs and get over your fear, they really are wonderful companians and an absolute joy to have around you. They're the most faithful and loyal pet you could ever have.Good luck