4month oldstaffy that i brought of some one else wont listen?

I have a pure bred staffy and he bites & doesnt listen when i say no even when i raise my voice He bites harder!! I put him in the room then all he does is sook ive tried everything.

I have a pure bred staffy and he bites & doesnt listen when i say no even when i raise my voice He bites harder!! I put him in the room then all he does is sook ive tried everything....
    Dogs Training Discussions : 4month oldstaffy that i brought of some one else wont listen?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 4month oldstaffy that i brought of some one else wont listen?

4month oldstaffy that i brought of some one else wont listen? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have a pure bred staffy and he bites & doesnt listen when i say no even when i raise my voice He bites harder!! I put him in the room then all he does is sook ive tried everything.

4month oldstaffy that i brought of some one else wont listen? Dogs Training Discussions
    • The dog obviously doesn't understand what you are saying or trying to do. Get down to a training class as soon as possible, staffy's are easily trained dogs so you have to face up to the fact you are failing to make yourself understood.

• a 4 month old staffy is still very much a puppy and incredibly small, puppies are always disobedient at some point you need to persevere and show you are the dominant member of the pack/family, dont let it get away with biting or anything disobedient you need to punish it to make it know what it did was wrong. staffys are very friendly dogs in the right hands, to say they are dangerous is ridiculous, its humans that make these dogs a threat by mistreatment and ignorance of the species. given enough encouragement and patience they will gradually start to trust you and understand you as leader. i have had 2 staffys now and my gran has always had them as her mother bred them. dont place mistrust in the dog, and dont show fear. i recommend reading some more about the species. i remember my stafford puppy was a nuisance when we first had him, he actually chewed a hole in the kitchen wall and ripped a bunch of floor tiles up but after a couple of months of training he grew into a reliable and trustworthy friend. they are great with kids, he was very protective of my younger brothers when other dogs would approach, in fact he actually prevented a huge alsation from biting my brother but when we got home he would lie asleep with my brother playing toy cars on his back. believe me they are great dogs, just stick with it guns blazing and you will see a great result in no time at all

• Just read the site that Cookie has linked you to.All puppies mouth and pups like staffies more so as they are a little hyper when young.It is a case of persevere. If you mean sulk instead of sook ... then tough... that means the time out is working and he doesn't like it. Continue to do this. Also try and teach the leave command as I find that a good one.... Hold a titbit in front of his nose... when he goes to take it, push his muzzle down with one finger and tell him leave. He will come straight back for it.. so do the same and again and again until he sits back and leaves it... At that pint give the titbit and make a big vocal fuss so he knows he is a good boy.Just keep repeating this exercise until he leaves on the first command then you know he is understanding the word. You can then use that command for mouthing, or whenever he touches / picks up something he shouldn'tTraining a puppy is MONTHS / YEARS of ongoing work. It is not like owning a pet rabbit for sure !!!

• We have a staffy too, who's 8 months old. I'm surprised he's biting at 4 months old - did he come from a bad home? Are you giving him too much attention? I know this sounds stupid, but everyone needs time alone, including dogs. He's just a baby, so he may just be too overcrowded. I play fight with my staffy, but he bites gently. You MUST teach your dog to bite gently.Every time he bites hard, stand up and turn you back on him. When he bites gently, when YOU start the play fight, praise him, but only when YOU start the play fight. Don't raise your voice, lower it into a very serious tone. This makes him know he's done something really wrong. Play fighting strengthens the bond between you and your dog, and lets him know your the alpha and he's the omega. As soon as he knows your the boss, he should stop biting. If not, he's going to need to go to obedience classes. Also, a healthy dog is a happy dog, and a happy dog doesn't usually bite.We have a routine with our dog, Lex, who we've had from 6 weeks old.1. In the morning, he goes out for a wee and comes back in for his breakfast and fresh water.2. As soon as he's finished, he gets let back out for 5 minutes.3. He's playful in the morning, so play we play with a toy - he favours his ball.4. After a while, we calm down and relax for a while. If it's sunny, we keep the door open and let him do his own thing while we get on with whatever we need to.5. When we relax again, we let Lex cuddle up to us and make sure he knows we love him. When speaking to and praising him, we speak in a soft, excitable voice to let him know he's good.6. We take Lex for a walk for 1-2 hours. We let him off the lead too. He's usually very good. We've trained him to return by saying 'come put your lead on.' W praise him ecstatically when he obeys, so Lex understand that he obeys, something good will happen.7. We come home, and fresh water is put down.8. Every few days, we have a playfight. If the dog wats to play fight, we don't respons. He must understand he doesn't call the shots, we do. So when we start a playfight, we have lots of fun and speak in an excited manner. This shows that Lex is the omega, but he is still loved. If he gets too rough when biting,we stop what we are doing and say 'steady' in a low, firm voice. We then stop playing, so Lex knows that when he bites too hard, the fun stops. It also teaches the command of 'steady.'9. While having tea, we ignore Lex and do not feed him, so he knows greeding will get him nothing.10. After finishing our tea, we then feed Lex and give him some fresh water. Again, apart from filling him, this teaches Lex he is the omega, as the omega ALWAYS eats last in dog packs.11. We let Lex out for 10 minutes.12. We teach Lex his commandes every day - Sit, Paw, other Paw, Lie down, and roll over. When he does them, he gets a treat. This teaches him that something good will happen.13. We go to bed, and Lex is allowed to cuddle up with us.What I'm saying is, your dog MUST learn he is the omega in a loving, fun way. This should stop him biting, and you certainly need to teach him 'steady'If this doesn't work, you definatly need obedience classes ;)

• When we got our staff he was about 18 months old and knew nothing. He was extremely hyper and very naughty. But staff's are really clever and within a week he was house broken. He used to bite and nibble our hands CONSTANTLY so we used alcohol gel, they hate the taste. You just have to have patience and keep going with it. :)