My puppy, ten wks old, knows where here 'wee' area is but keeps doing little piddles?

I have had her since 6wks and is basically house trained, she goes her proper wee in the right place normally but from yesterday she seems to be squating often not for a full pee just a couple of drops.. Im a bit puzzled as she is a bitch, is she…

My puppy, ten wks old, knows where here 'wee' area is but keeps doing little piddles?

I have had her since 6wks and is basically house trained, she goes her proper wee in the right place normally but from yesterday she seems to be squating often not for a full pee just a couple of drops.. Im a bit puzzled as she is a bitch, is she…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : My puppy, ten wks old, knows where here 'wee' area is but keeps doing little piddles?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My puppy, ten wks old, knows where here 'wee' area is but keeps doing little piddles?

My puppy, ten wks old, knows where here 'wee' area is but keeps doing little piddles? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have had her since 6wks and is basically house trained, she goes her proper wee in the right place normally but from yesterday she seems to be squating often not for a full pee just a couple of drops.. Im a bit puzzled as she is a bitch, is she scenting or something else?? Any dog owners help please?

My puppy, ten wks old, knows where here 'wee' area is but keeps doing little piddles? Dogs Training Discussions
    • some dogs will pee a little when they get excited, like when you first get home, also takes a while, remember she's still a puppy & give her a little more timesome dogs are not completely grown up until they're a year or 2 old.

• She will not be properly house trained until about five months.The squat and squeeze a drop is usually scent marking, but it's quite unusual in the house.

• she could just be excited....we have a four month old pup and he occasionaly still pee's a bit when he gets excited.....or she may have a little bladder and can't hold it all in but more than likly she is just excited!

• shes still quite young and probaley cant control her bladder full which way cause this.If it keeps happening bring her to a vet but I wouldnt worry about it to much!!

• Its possible she has a urinary tract infection so you should probably consider taking her to the vet. This would most certainly cause her to pee little and often. She could also, as others have said, just be doing it in excitement and a display of submission. Keep in mind that 10 weeks is pretty young to have full bladder control so some accidents are still likely, however if it is only a few drops at a time and frequent, I really think a visit to the vet is in order to rule out a UTI.

• At this point dogs dont even KNOW they can HOLD it. She may know where the pee pad is or that she has to go outside, but she is only 10 wks old. Your puppy wont be completely potty trained until she is about 6 months old. And I say COMPLETELY meaning, you would be able to go for a full day and come home and the dog will have held it. At 6 wks old, youre lucky she understand WHERE to go. Just be firm. When she even looks like she is sniffing or going to squat take her out. As soon as she does squat, say no, jumpp up and immediately take her out or put her where you want her to go to the bathroom.If you are using puppy pads, remember that if they get used to that now, they will expect to use them when the are older. As soon aspossible, move it to the door then to outside the door. that way you arent havign to train, and retrain, and confuseIf the problem continues, take her to the vet.OR if you are taking her *which you should be because at this point she should be getting booster shots* just mention it

• Although your pup is well on the way to being housetrained, she won't be totally reliable until she's around 6 months or so (as a general rule, some are faster, some slower!).This sounds like it could be a sign of a urinary tract infection. It's pretty common in puppies, especially little girls, as they can easily pick up bacteria when they squat to pee outside. I would take her to your veterinarian for a check up to be on the safe side. An untreated UTI can cause kidney problems eventually. Another sign that it could be an infection would be a lot of licking of her privates, but it isn't always seen.It could be submissive urination. This is another common problem in puppies, and happens when the pup is trying to show that she recognizes her 'inferior' or more lowly status. It'll happen when she's excited, greeting people or being approached by strangers etc. It's something they generally grow out of, but building her self confidence with plenty of socialization and ignoring the actual act of urinating is the best way to handle it. If you get angry or upset with a dog that is urinating submissively, their instinctive reaction is to urinate more as they feel they've not been 'submissive enough'. A vicious circle!Scent marking is possible, but unlikely. Especially in a little puppy. It's something that usually happens with maturity. I think the vet. is your best bet. Good luck.

• If she's actually squatting then it might be better to have her checked by a Vet. She could have a slight water infection. Very common in females both human and canine!If she was older I'd say it was marking behaviour but it's unusual in a puppy that age, and usually if it's submissive behaviour or excitement they don't take the time to squat.Daft as it may sound give her plenty to drink, and if she'll accept it add a bit of Cranberry juice, it will help flush out her bladder!I disagree with punishing or scolding a puppy that young, it will just make her worse and you could set up a fear reaction which means she'll do it every time you sound cross! Although I don't agree with babying dogs she IS still a baby and isn't doing it to be naughty! You can start correcting her by picking her up and taking her to her toilet area every time she does it! If she goes again there praise her.Please have her checked over by the Vet, if there is nothing physically wrong great! But if there is it's better to get it sorted as it could spread to her Kidneys other-wise.

• She's TEN WEEKS OLD for crying out loud! Would you expect a human baby to be instantaneously potty-trained?! You obviously haven't bothered to do your homework BEFORE you got the puppy and haven't got a clue. Educate yourself! Get a book and READ! And have some patience. YOU got this puppy instead of a grown dog so now you will have to be patient and housetrain her. You might also take her to the vet in case of a health problem.DUH

• It could be an infection so you may want to consider seeing a vet.It could be excitement or submissive urination, depending on when she does it.It could simply be because she is so young. At ten weeks she is just a baby - some dogs don't have full bladder control until they are 6 months old. Even if she does have some control under normal circumstances, she may lose control when she excited or nervous, which she should grow out of.Please don't be "really angry". At 10 weeks you would probably terrify her! Scaring or punishing a dog for peeing only causes them to fear you - a lot of dogs become afraid of urinating in front of their owners and start hiding to do it, behind sofas etc which is even worse.Just keep going with her housetraining rather than assuming she knows it. Take her to her potty area every couple of hours, after eating or waking etc. Go out with her and give her lots of praise and maybe a treat when she does it in the right place. If you catch her doing it (or preferably - about to do it) in the house, interupt her and take her to her potty area, then praise her for going there.If you find it later do not do anything to her - she can not associate your reaction with something she did earlier.And don't worry about her seeing you clean up. This has no relevance on how she sees you.

• if it continues take her to the vet it may be a bladder infection. my lab puppy had that problem and we would yell at her for it until we noticed that she wasnt meaning to do it and kinda looked at us like im so sorry... when we took her to the vet we found out that she had a bladder infection and they gave her antibiotic and it cleared right up. but keep in mind if she is doing it when u just get home or pay alot of attention to her it might be because she is so excited.