how can i discipline my puppy?

i have a puppy she was 5 month when Jaco died any way she jumps up at every one and she runs off on the park.. and bits the window sill.Our other dog is so good but she is 13 lol. but how will she become obedient?

i have a puppy she was 5 month when Jaco died any way she jumps up at every one and she runs off on the park.. and bits the window sill.Our other dog is so good but she is 13 lol. but how will she become obedient?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : how can i discipline my puppy?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how can i discipline my puppy?

how can i discipline my puppy? Dogs Training Discussions
      i have a puppy she was 5 month when Jaco died any way she jumps up at every one and she runs off on the park.. and bits the window sill.Our other dog is so good but she is 13 lol. but how will she become obedient?

how can i discipline my puppy? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Enroll in an obedience class. She will learn basic commands (sit, stay, down, come, etc.) and you will learn how to train and interact with her. It's very much worth the time and effort.

• With obedience training and maturity. A puppy has no idea it is doing anything 'wrong' unless you train the dog.Puppies do not come with 'instant training'. And you don't discipline her you train her.

• hi im 12 and unlike other people going out and wasting money all you need is- water bottle & fill it with water- treats - collar - leash when you catch him doing something bad by biting the window sill you take the water bottle & squirt him & say no in qa loud tone he will quikly run away from you you dont wanna pay him no atteion for 10 min at the least & 15-20 at the most but start working on telling him sit ( when you tell him sit push his but down so hell know what hes suppose to do ) when he does it give him a treat the best way to train him to stay with you you take a lesh to the park when you arrive and you let him go you tell him stay if he doesnt get him back squirt him with water a few times ( not in the face it will hurt)

• A basic obedience class (preferably an in kennel training program) can help. But for a quick fix...1) take an empty soda can and put 5 pennies in it. When the pup jumps on you shake it and say in a deep voice "No" or "Bad". 2) try not to let you're dog off leash in the park. you never know if there is a dog aggressive dog around. if u want her to run around but you still want control you can by a 30 foot lead (often called a long line) and attach this to the dogs collar3) for chewing make a mixture called "glop" (its 3/4 dish soap 1/4 cayenne pepper) and apply to the surface you're pup chews. The smell and taste will discourage the pup.

• I know!You teach *self* discipline. You teach the dog lots of behaviors that you *do* want to see, then ask for them, reward them, keep them a part of everyday life.My dogs choose to do all of the following, because I trained it, practiced it, and expect it. Many of these things are now habits that need no cue at all: - sit or stand calmly to be greeted - look at me when I say their names- come when called- go lie down away from me if asked or if I'm eating - wait for permission before going through a door to outdoors, the gates to the yard, and several doors in the house- let me know when they need to go out- get along with one another - let me take stuff from them- not chew on things that aren't their toys- don't bother counter-surfing, since good behavior gets them more stuff- go into a crate on cue- sit, down, stay, give paw, nose target, paw target- wait to take a treat, toy or meal until I say "take it"- get on or off of a surface when asked- give me a hug and/or kiss, when asked- walk nicely beside me on lead if told "with me" or lead me. if I say "go sniff"And I'm sure I'm forgetting some things that are so ordinary that I don't even think about them at this point. Two of my dogs are ex-racing greyhounds -- one had terrible separation anxiety and fear of storms, the other has a bad leg and could be defensive of her back end and being handled, had no interest in coming when called, and thought all of the dogs' (lived with four, at the time) food was for her. Both were total "aliens," who had never lived in a home, seen windows, gone up or down stairs, ridden in a car, etc.The third is a beagle who came to us as a totally wild, unsocialized stray who thought that jumping up, nipping and twisting was a great way to get attention, had terrible resource-guarding issues, and more other bad habits than I can list here!My training clients, with all kinds of dogs and all kinds of problems, have also had success, as long as they practiced.Some people think of correction as a strong, alpha, no-nonsense way to deal with dogs. But it really isn't -- it's *weaker* than using management and positive reinforcement. Any "discipline," correction or attempt at punishment that is done after the dog has successfully completed an unwanted behavior means the human is operating from a position of weakness -- they've let the dog practice the unwanted behavior and get whatever they like from it. They're behind the eight ball already -- barn door open, horse out, etc. :-)But, we're only human, and dogs are quick. And we have to live with our dogs when they are new to us, and not yet trained. So, if the dog has performed an unwanted action that harms nobody, ignore it. Taking away a desired reward, like your attention and company, for a few seconds, then coming back to ask for a desired behavior before the dog gets a chance to do the undesired thing, can help a bit.But ultimately, training the actions you *do* want to see is so much more efficient, logical, kind and strong.