how can I stop my rescue dog relieving himself at night?

I have a 2 yr old rescue dog. The first 2 nights he was fine no mess. On night 3 I heard him whining and went to setlle him. In the morning he had made a mess and a puddle. Same again next night but no whining. I walk him in evening and he gets no…

I have a 2 yr old rescue dog. The first 2 nights he was fine no mess. On night 3 I heard him whining and went to setlle him. In the morning he had made a mess and a puddle. Same again next night but no whining. I walk him in evening and he gets no…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : how can I stop my rescue dog relieving himself at night?...

• how can I stop my rescue dog relieving himself at night?

how can I stop my rescue dog relieving himself at night? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have a 2 yr old rescue dog. The first 2 nights he was fine no mess. On night 3 I heard him whining and went to setlle him. In the morning he had made a mess and a puddle. Same again next night but no whining. I walk him in evening and he gets no food afterwards. I also lift his water bowl at night. I also let him out at 11pm ish and get up at 6am. how can I get him to stop this. He is otherwise fully house trained.

how can I stop my rescue dog relieving himself at night? Dogs Training Discussions
    • I think this is early days, the poor little thing just doesn't know what is going on.He doesn't know if you are going to abandon him too.He's lost, he's scared,he's frightened.It's great news he is trained otherwise.It has just occurred to me as i began to write this,the chances are you are feeding him different food than he had at the rescue centre.It could be affecting his tummy.Also fear in the middle of the night could make him go. The first few nights he was probably too tired and slept through?I don't know.But what about you call up the place you got him from and have a chat with them?Best of luck with it.

• You may have to crate him at night. Treat the situation the same way you would with a puppy and set an alarm to take him out in the during the night. (this might mean going to bed a little sooner) It's possible this is why the little guy ended up in a shelter to begin with. Training issues, particularly house training, is the number 1 reason pets are surrendered to shelters. Just be patient with him and he'll learn.

• Give him some time. I agree with Ella. It's all new to him, and at the moment, he's waking in the night (maybe feeling chilly?) and immediately thinks what next - okay eliminate. You might, I agree, try getting up during the night and letting him out. And remember rescue dogs do come with 'baggage' so he might have been doing this where he was before - and getting away with it. It might be worth considering getting a crate, and bringing him into your room with you at night, so he's not left alone. It is going to take some little while for him to settle in, but with patience, and understanding, it will happen.ps The first two night's be was tired out, so he slept through. As time goes on, his 'true temperament' will come out. So make allowances!Add - provided he doesn't have a medical issue going on, there's absolutely no reason why a 2 year old can't go through the night without the need to empty!!