Whats the biggest breed of dog you can have ?

I'm looking to get another dog, I already have a corgi male, so will be getting the new dog from a puppy so they can bond. I really have my heart set on a big dog as I live on my own & I like the idea of something huge sitting next to me lol, rather than…

I'm looking to get another dog, I already have a corgi male, so will be getting the new dog from a puppy so they can bond. I really have my heart set on a big dog as I live on my own & I like the idea of something huge sitting next to me lol, rather than…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Whats the biggest breed of dog you can have ?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Whats the biggest breed of dog you can have ?

Whats the biggest breed of dog you can have ? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm looking to get another dog, I already have a corgi male, so will be getting the new dog from a puppy so they can bond. I really have my heart set on a big dog as I live on my own & I like the idea of something huge sitting next to me lol, rather than a over controlling boyfriend ! So I was thinking Bullmastiff but I do not like drooling, so what do you guys think ?

Whats the biggest breed of dog you can have ? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Giant Dog Reference:Irish Wolfhound: weight: 105-125 lbs. height: 35-35 in.Great Danes: weight: 100-120 lbs. height: 28-32 in.English Mastiff: weight: 175-190 lbs. height: 27.5-30 in.Neopolitan Mastiff: weight: 150-180 lbs. height: 26-31 in.Newfoundland: weight: 130-150 lbs. height 28-30 in.Saint Bernard: weight: 150-200 lbs. height: 27-30 in. get a Saint Bernard!!!!!!

• Bullmastiff is fine but they do drool and they are a training challenge and you have to jump on it early and stick with it before they get too big to manage.Also keep in mind that nearly all giant breeds tend to have short lifespans (average 7-8 years).St. Bernards drool something awful!!!! Many large breeds do.

• Rodhesian Ridgebacks are huge and I know a very lovable one! I don't know what their personalities are usually like though - you might want to research them a little bit. What about a Weimaraner - they are so lovable, pretty and big. Labs also get pretty big I think. Bernese mountain dogs are also cute and large. Good luck with your new doggie!!

• I had a co-worker at one time that had a Bull Mastiff! This dog was the sweetest, most gentle, most loving, Best Mannered, BIGGEST DOG I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not remember the dog drooling that much though! Nothing out of the ordinary, maybe some of them do, but hers did not, not any more than any other dog I have seen!!!! If you do get a dog like this, be prepared to be loved to death, because they are soooooo LOVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck with your new family member!!!!!!!

• The Irish Wolfhound is the tallest breed, but don't make great guard dogs. They are too people friendly for that job. Mastiffs and Bull Mastiffs make good guard dogs, but like you said, you have the drooling. I have Dobermans, and German Shepherds, as well as an Irish Wolfhound, and a Miniature Dachshund. Of them all, I would say the Dobermans are the better choice for your situation. They shed the least and are extremely loyal.

• The first answer with all the options is great. I'm personally obsessed with Danes, but I think Bernese Mountain Dogs are great too. They're not exactly "giant" but they're pretty big, and they don't have a drooling tendency as much as many of the giant breeds (that I am aware of.) Like someone else said, you have to remember the giant breeds have a much shorter lifespan because their parts just give out easier. If you're in the So. California area though, check out http://gentlegiantsrescue.com/. They have TONS of big dogs for adoption and seem to do a great job at matching you up with one and helping you out with health issues! Good luck!

• Hun, if you do not like drooling, do NOT get a Saint Bernard or a Newfoundland! You should see the drool around my house!!Have you ever considered a Bernese Mountain Dog? They are a large breed, are absolutely WONDERFUL family dogs, easy to train (they love to please!!! They try to over-please!), and do not drool!!!I wish you the best of luck in your new big breed adventure!

• I looked on Ask.com for the largest dog breed. The article I found suggested the Old English Mastiff. Geez...that is a big dog. They say some can reach 340 pounds. He can drool if he wants to!!!Personally, I have a German Shepherd. In his prime (he is 12 now) he weighed 136. He is a big boy, a true cupcake and smarter than some people I know. You can never go wrong with a GSD.

• If you want a dog sitting next to you to cuddle up next to, I'm not sure how well some of the really larger breeds work. Nothing against an Irish Wolfhound or a St. Bernard but it's hard to imagine one of them sitting next to me on the sofa.Plus, you're potentially going to have some challenges with walks (because of the major stride difference between a corgi and say....a great dane).Here are a couple of other options that don't tip the end of the scale but could be "bigger" without the drool problems and still not "too big":--a lab. Not a golden (which appear friendly to us but tends to be passive aggressive to many other breeds). Usually very mellow and tolerant around smaller breeds. Big without being a bull in a china shop. And if you really want big, I've seen some labs get up to 130 pounds!--a greyhound. Usually not good around other breeds b/c ones bred for racing aren't socialized around other dogs but if you get it as a puppy that won't be a problem. A very friendly dog, good size yet a good indoors dog. Definitely not a drooler. Not a good walking match with your corgi.

• Well, the tallest is a Irish wolfhound, but the heaviest is a St. Bernard.Here's a list of BIG dogs;Anatolian ShepherdHeight: Dogs 28-30 inches (71-76 cm.) Bitches 26-28 inches (66-71 cm.)Weight: Dogs 100-150 pounds (45-68 kg.) Bitches 90-130 pounds (41-59 kg.)BloodhoundHeight: Dogs 25-27 inches (63-69cm) Bitches 23-25 inches (58-63cm)Weight: Dogs 90-110 pounds (41-50kg) Bitches 80-100 pounds (36-45kg)BullMastiffHeight: Dogs 25-27 inches (63-69cm) Bitches 24-26 inches (61-66cm)Weight: Dogs 110-133 pounds (50-60kg) Bitches 100-120 pounds (45-54kg)German ShepherdHeight: Dogs 24-26 inches (60-65cm.) Bitches 22-24 inches (55-60cm.)Weight: 77-85 pounds (35-40kg.)Great DaneHeight: Dogs 30-34 inches (76-86 cm.) Bitches 28-32 inches (71-81 cm.) Weight: Dogs 120-200 pounds (54-90 kg.) Bitches 100-130 pounds (45-59 kg.)Great PyreneesHeight: Dogs 27-32 inches (69-81cm.) Bitches 25-29 inches (63-74cm.) are the average heights, but some Pyrenees are as much as 40 inches (1 meter)Weight: Dogs from 100 pounds (45kg.) Bitches from 85 pounds (38kg.)Irish WolfhoundHeight: 28-35 inches (71-90 cm.)Weight: 90-150 pounds (40-69 kg.)Mastiff Height: Dogs from 30 inches (76cm) Bitches from 27 inches (69cm)Weight: Dogs about 160 pounds (72kg) Bitches about 150 pounds (68kg)Newfoundland Height: Dogs 27-29 inches (69-74cm) Bitches 25-27 inches (63-69cm)Weight: Dogs 130-150 pounds (59-68 kg) Bitches 100-120 pounds (45-54kg)St BernardHeight: 25.5-27.5 inches ( 61-70 cm.)Weight: 110-200 pounds (50-91 kg)Bernese Mountain DogHeight: Dogs 24-28 inches (61-71cm.) Bitches 23-27 inches (58-69cm.)Weight: Dogs 85-110 pounds (38-50kg.) Bitches 80-105 pounds (36-48kg.)Afghan HoundHeight: Dogs 27 to 29 inches (68.58-73.66cm) slightly less for bitches.Weight: 58-64lb (26-34kg.)Dogo ArgentinoHeight: 24-27 inches (61-69cm)Weight: 80-100 pounds (36-45kg)Giant SchnauzerHeight: Dogs 26-28 inches (66-71 cm.) Bitches 23-26 inches (58-66 cm.)Weight: Dogs 60-80 pounds (27-36 kg.) Bitches 55-75 pounds (25-34 kg.)Greater Swiss Mountain DogHeight: 23.5-28.5 (60-72cm.)Weight: 130-135 pounds (59-61kg.)Neapolitan MastiffHeight: Dogs 26-30 inches (65-75 cm.) Bitches 24-28 inches (60-70 cm.)Weight: Up to 165 pounds (74 kg.)The largest male Neapolitans may be nearly 200 pounds (90 kg.)Rhodesian RidgebackHeight: Dogs 25-27 inches (63-69cm) Bitches 24-26 inches (61-66cm)Weight: Dogs 80-90 pounds (36-41kg) Bitches 65-75 pounds (29-34kg)WeimaranerHeight: Dogs 24-27 inches (61-69cm) Bitches 22-25 inches (56-63cm)Weight: Dogs 55-70 pounds (25-32kg) Bitches 50-65 pounds (23-29kg)BorzoiHeight: Dogs at least 28 inches (71cm) Bitches at least 26 inches (66cm)Weight: Dogs 75-105 pounds (34-48kg) Bitches 60-90 pounds (27-41kg)Or you could always just go to a shelter or petfinder and look for a dog that will fit you right.For more info on the dogs you should go to this website. Just to warn you most big dogs don't live long.

• any of the dogs listed above will work. Why not getting something like a golden retriever or a lab? They wont get so huge to where you cant control them, bu they are big and loyal .just make sure whatever you get you give it lots and lots of training. make sure you can control it.

• Wow you got some good responses. I like some others can't see getting a Giant Breed because of the life span and all the other medical problems you may have with them. Someone mentioned a Burmese Mt. Dog, that will be my next dog, so I am partial to that breed. Good luck and any dog that gets to sit next to you should count their lucky stars....................

• The Irish Wolfhound is the tallest dog of all breeds, tho other breeds may be heavier. May I suggest you go to your nearest animal shelter and there you will find big dogs that desperately need a good home. I have had big shelter dogs who were excellent watch dogs as well as being excellent pets.A mixed breed can often be a better companion that one with a pedigree, trust me, I`ve owned both. Shelters often have puppies that grow into big dogs. At least, go have a look, you may not only save a life, but end up with the best pet u`ve ever owned.

• I grew up with St. Bernard show dogs. They are beautiful...but they drool a lot!!! Also, we used a very large mixing bowl to prepare their meals every night. Each night we filled the bowl with about two big coffee cans of kibble, 4 eggs, and some warm water...then mix. If it were a stew it could have fed a family of 8! They produce an equal amount of "waste". Also, they shed all over the place. Our St. Bernards barked non-stop at all critters from cats, and squirls to other dogs, sheep, and especially cows.As a result I became a "cat person". I did not like it when other people's dogs would jump on me when I came over to visit. I just didn't get the "dog" thing.Then....I met my Shih Tzu. Shih Tzu are big dogs in small packages, that look like 4 month old St. Bernard puppies forever. They do not act like small dogs, they think they are big and brave...yet, they are very polite.Shih Tzu do not shed, they have hair like humans...which does need to be groomed and "cut down" into a "puppy cut" about every two months. Shih Tzu do not drool. Most Shih Tzu do not bark very much either. Mine rarely barks at all. He'll bark with me as part of a game if we are playing, but only if he sees that I approve and its part of the game. All I have to say is "no bark!" and he is quiet again.My Shih Tzu has learned to sit to be greeted and petted by visitors or people we meet in the park. He does not jump on people.He eats small quantities and I am glad to be able afford the better quality dog food for him. If he ate the quantity of a large dog, then it would be way out of my budget. His "waste" is cat sized. He is house trained and "gets busy" in the back yard and it disolves into the dirt/grass on its own (most of the time). This is a time-consuming, smelly job with big dogs.Shih Tzu are fun to play with and love a great game of hide and seek by smell. I show "Louie" an object, let him smell it...then I hide it and he uses his nose to find it. The job of a Shih Tzu is to be your companion. They were bred to have good manners and be pals and companions to royalty in China and Tibet. They even give a very polite complement to the cook by making an audible burp after a good meal.Shih Tzu travel easily and are welcomed in many hotels, motels, RV Resorts, and some B & Bs. I recommend Shih Tzu! Search images on Yahoo! and Google. Also, go to Youtube and enter Shih Tzu as the search word and watch the most adorable video clips! You'll fall in love with Shih Tzu!!!