How do I get my dog really confident on a Flyball box?

He does not like the bag when the ball comes out. He is a cocker spanile and he is 8 years old but trying my best to Teach Him. How do I get him to not get so scared and frightened.We have 2 holes in the Flyball box and the dog ether goes right of left…

He does not like the bag when the ball comes out. He is a cocker spanile and he is 8 years old but trying my best to Teach Him. How do I get him to not get so scared and frightened.We have 2 holes in the Flyball box and the dog ether goes right of left…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do I get my dog really confident on a Flyball box?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I get my dog really confident on a Flyball box?

How do I get my dog really confident on a Flyball box? Dogs Training Discussions
      He does not like the bag when the ball comes out. He is a cocker spanile and he is 8 years old but trying my best to Teach Him. How do I get him to not get so scared and frightened.We have 2 holes in the Flyball box and the dog ether goes right of left my 8 year old goes left and my 1 year old goes left as well. I have a disability so I may not unstand what you put bu some things I do understand. My other cocker spanile does it really well it's my 8 year old I want to train up to get th ball ou the box.Thank you for the information it is really helpfully

How do I get my dog really confident on a Flyball box? Dogs Training Discussions
    • What type of box do you use? There are many different types and they all require a different approach. If you have a shoot, work with that first. I'll try to help as soon as you give me more info, I'm a flyball trainer.The only issue that my training doesn't address is your dog's age. 8 years isn't all that young and if your dog has joint problems, the box can injure him and if that's the case it's only normal if he fears it!If your dog fears the box, you shouldn't force the dog anywhere near it until you've completed the basics. Find out if your dog is left or right tuned.Take two plates and form a triangle with them like this: /\. There should be at least 1 meter between the two plates. In the middle you place a traffic cone. Place it so that you dog can run behind the cone. Teach the dog 'round'. If you say 'round' the dog must understand he has to run around the cone. Do this until your dog gets it ALWAYS ALWAYS reward the dog with a toy if he does it right. After your dog gets that, you place the cone before the box. Note that you do NOT load the box, you simply let your dog turn around the cone like you did in the first exercise but now you place the cone fairly close to the box so the dog has to touch it to get around. After a while you place a jump just behind the cone and you pull the dog around the cone and over the jump (softly) and you praise him into heaven. Once your dog jumps over the jump without fear, you get rid of the cone. NOTE up until now we haven't loaded the box even once!!!!You continue to train w/o loading until your dog makes the correct movement without the cone but with a jump before the box. Use safe material! The plates must easily break and be covered with isolation material to avoid injury. Once your dog gets all of this (and this will take you several weeks) you'll allow the dog to fetch the ball. Still do NOT load the box, let someone with a glove offer a ball. After 5 times, let that person load the box, he'll still offer the ball by hand but the dog has to become accustumed to the sound of the box triggering. Only after you've passed all these steps you are to actually put a ball in the hole and let the dog fetch it. If you did it correctly your dog uses his 4 legs to turn on the box, won't care about the sound and do it with lightning speed. If you are from Belgium, feel free to visit us in Hasselt :P