how do i get over a fear of dogs after being bitten and chased as a child..i am 28 now and it still prevails.?

i have only enjoyed the company of my husbands dogs..labridor and irsh wolfhound.Alsations i am terrifghed of.

how do i get over a fear of dogs after being bitten and chased as a child..i am 28 now and it still prevails.?

i have only enjoyed the company of my husbands dogs..labridor and irsh wolfhound.Alsations i am terrifghed of....
    Dogs Training Discussions : how do i get over a fear of dogs after being bitten and chased as a child..i am 28 now and it still prevails.?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how do i get over a fear of dogs after being bitten and chased as a child..i am 28 now and it still prevails.?

how do i get over a fear of dogs after being bitten and chased as a child..i am 28 now and it still prevails.? Dogs Training Discussions
      i have only enjoyed the company of my husbands dogs..labridor and irsh wolfhound.Alsations i am terrifghed of.

how do i get over a fear of dogs after being bitten and chased as a child..i am 28 now and it still prevails.? Dogs Training Discussions
    • just try and be more social with dogs...and when you are scared of dogs and show fear of them kinda makes them more aggressive soooo... just go to parks and when you see a dog pet it and try and stay calm...youll ge over it

• You may never get over it but you need to reassure yourself that not all dogs are going to bite you. Start slow, maybe go to a friend's house who has a dog and get comfortable around them first. Gradually build up to a visit at your local pet shelter and play with other dogs. Dogs are wonderful animals and are usually not agressive.

• Find a friend with an older or v quiet dog, and just spend time with it in the room with you. Gradually build up your confidence around it, and always try to reassure yourself get that what happened to you was an unusual occurance. It perfectly understandable to still have a fear all these years later, but it is overcomable. Make sure you take it at your own pace, and dont try to get too close, or deal with a younger more excitable dog too soon. I really hope this helps.

• i am always packing an assortment for those rotten dogs. a hot pepper spray, a tazer and finally a springfield armory 45 with a tricked out hammer and six-inch competition barrel. they seem to sense they are facing real trougle and run when i look at them. a marial arts staff would do the job and if you can use it. no dog and withstand the kungfu staff.

• every dangerous animals that u think(i.e dogs, spiders, snakes) are scared of u more than ur scared of them, for dogs, DO NOT let them tink that ur afraid of them, if u do, they will tink of u as a weakling and just "braves" up, chasing u, barking at u, and even biting u, if u see a fierce looking dog, stand where ur at, if they look like they are goin to attack, pretend to pick up a stone from the groun, they will tink that ur stronger and backs off. trust me, i've been in the same situation before.

• I would buy a puppy of a small breed like a shih tzu or pug. Then look after the pup and you will grow to love and become used to being with it. I feel having done this you will know how to handle dogs and their body language etc. Familiarity breeds comtempt.

• Since your husband already has two dogs and you enjoy their company,It's established that your's is a dog lovers' family.All you now need to address your personal problem is an Alsatian puppy.Gradually but surely you shall be able to overcome the fear and eventually get to like to like the breed.This the best remedy for a breed specific dislike or the fear.

• I had a car crash about 15 yrs ago (not serious) and am still a little apprehensive about getting into cars. The key word here is - apprehensive - try not to think 'fear'.All dogs don't bite - all cars don't run you over - all planes don't crash - all lightning doesn't strike you.Try to change your mental approach from 'fear' to 'apprehension' and be selective of the dogs that you allow to come near to you.

• like most things, you fear what you don't understand. unlike the idiot that advised you to go pet strange dogs in parks.i will assume you are in the uk and that you have some time you could spare to overcome your fear.the rspca are often looking for people to help out with dog walking etc i would suggest you speak to them explain your problem i'm sure they would be grateful for any help and ensure you don't get any problem dogs to deal with.you never know you may even get to enjoy it. either way cheaper way to get exercise than paying at the gym

• It's good that you want to get over your phobia and it is never too late. Although you had reason as a child to fear dogs, as an adult it will be easier to rationalise it. Although there are reports of dog attacks in the news somewhere in the world almost on a daily basis the reality is that they are rare and certainly not the norm.It may be an idea to read some dog behaviour books in the first place so that you are familiar with the behaviour patterns and 'doggy language'. 'What is my dog thinking'? by Gwen Bailey, published by Hamlyn ISBN 0-600-60423-3 and 'The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson published by James & Kenneth ISBN 1-888047-05-4 may help.However as you are comfortable with your husbands dogs, I would suggest a more practical way of proceeding.You could contact a local dog trainer and ask if you could go along to observe some of their training sessions. I can guarantee that there will not be any vicious dogs in the class as any good trainer would teach those dogs on a one to one basis. You could sit or stand at the back of the hall, behind a bench or something to start with. As you observe the dogs you will begin to relax and over a period of time be able to get closer and closer to the action. Who knows you might even feel like joining in sooner than you think.Please don't concentrate on the 'Alsatian/German Shepherd' thing too much. It wasn't a breed of dog that attacked you, it was an individual dog. It's kinda like saying 'I was picked on at school by someone with brown eyes, now I don't trust anyone with brown eyes.' I hope that puts it in perspective for you and wish you luck. Just as an additional point, dogs are so much more honest and straightforward and easier to 'read' than most humans. What you see is what you get.

• My dogs work with PAT DOGS, Pets As Therapy, and as well as visiting people one of my girls has helped a couple of people who like your self who are scared. Google to get the Website then phone for help in your area,

• Find some one with a nice quiet, well behaved dog that you can get used to. Usually, the bigger breed of dogs are quite well behaved (gentle giants) and the owners should have trained out the boisterousness out of them. Just take a look at guide dogs, they're large breeds but friendly, obedient and calm. As mentioned earlier, PAT dogs are very compatible. My dog is a retired PAT dog but she still occasionally called on to meet some one who is nervous of dogs to discourage they're panicky feelings. The fear will never go away but you should learn to recognize situations with dogs that are not a threat to you so that you can lead a normal life when you meet one while you're out and about.

• i have been bitten twice by dogs when i was little, saying that i am on my second German Shepherd bitch, the breed in any dog is not to blame, its how the owner rears and treats that dog. Both my girls Bonny ( passed away aged 13 4yrs ago) and Sasha our new dog are wonderful people dogs, Bonny was here before my babies ( now 16 and 11) and she loved them fiercely...Sash is the same she follows my kids everywhere.To get over your fear of anything they say face it...buy a shepherd /alsation puppy and bring it up as your dog, i promise you you will not be scared of shepherds ever again