Why/what do i do when my dog has a grass eating addiction?

My dog has always eaten grass, but earlyer today she stood at the door whining, which she never does. So i let her out and she raced outside and then waited whining for me to open the gate, and when she did she ran to the lawn and started eating the…

My dog has always eaten grass, but earlyer today she stood at the door whining, which she never does. So i let her out and she raced outside and then waited whining for me to open the gate, and when she did she ran to the lawn and started eating the…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Why/what do i do when my dog has a grass eating addiction?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why/what do i do when my dog has a grass eating addiction?

Why/what do i do when my dog has a grass eating addiction? Dog Breed Discussions
      My dog has always eaten grass, but earlyer today she stood at the door whining, which she never does. So i let her out and she raced outside and then waited whining for me to open the gate, and when she did she ran to the lawn and started eating the grass. When i shooed her away from it she ran off to eat some grass elsewhere. PLease help.

Why/what do i do when my dog has a grass eating addiction? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Several explanations have been offered to explain why our domesticated and much-beloved dogs eat grass.Eating Grass by InstinctSome, when asked the question why dogs eat grass, say that they may eat grass because, in reality, it is a normal part of their ancestors' diet. They ate all of an animal they caught—as is true of their current wild cousins such as wolves and fox. Since their prey may have eaten berries and other plant material, wolves and fox end up eating a lot of grasses and plants that were ingested by their prey.Does Grass Make Dogs Vomit?Many times, dogs will vomit after eating grass. And so, the big debate goes on...and on! Did they eat grass to make them vomit? Or did they vomit because they ate grass? It is a mystery, but it does seem that some dogs may eat vegetation when they have an upset stomach.In support of this theory, in her book, "The Complete Herbal Handbook For The Dog And Cat," author, herbalist and long-time dog breeder Juliette de Bairacli Levy writes: "I am always amazed at the way my Afghan Hounds have selected their medicinal plants, shrubs and trees, and know where to find them and how to use them. By use, I mean the amount to be eaten to serve its purpose. Mostly their use is as a laxative or to promote vomiting, and they know exactly how much to eat to achieve one or the other effect."Smart DogsNot one of us who is a real dog lover hesitates to rave about the intelligence of our particular four-legged friend. So who's to say that a modern dog, stuck on a non-evaried diet of dry kibble and no-name canned meat, doesn't have the innate intelligence to find what is lacking in his/her normal diet? Not only is a dog man's (and woman's) best friend - in many ways the dog is instinctively smarter that we (mere mortal humans) are. How very humbling is that admission?

• Dogs eat grass to make themselves vomit when they have stomach troubles. It gets whatever is hurting them out. Don't worry too much about it. If it continues for more than a week, I would talk to a vet to see what is going on.