How to introduce a dog to a house/family?

She has been adopted from the RSPCA and it is her first day in the house today. She is upstairs and does not want to come down; I am guessing this is nerves as she does not know all of the other people and the other dog very well. My sister is telling me…

She has been adopted from the RSPCA and it is her first day in the house today. She is upstairs and does not want to come down; I am guessing this is nerves as she does not know all of the other people and the other dog very well. My sister is telling me…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How to introduce a dog to a house/family?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to introduce a dog to a house/family?

How to introduce a dog to a house/family? Dogs Training Discussions
      She has been adopted from the RSPCA and it is her first day in the house today. She is upstairs and does not want to come down; I am guessing this is nerves as she does not know all of the other people and the other dog very well. My sister is telling me to shut my bedroom door so she comes downstairs, but I don't know whether I should do this as I don't know if this would be putting her in a position that will make her stressed on the first day or if it will make her conquer her fears. What should we do?

How to introduce a dog to a house/family? Dogs Training Discussions
    • First of all let her come to you in her own time. If there are areas where you don't want her to be, I'd cordon them off and one of them probably would be upstairs. At least until you know how housetrained she is!! And it may be that she's not. You always need to remember that dogs end up in Shelters for a reason, and lots of time this is because the previous owner wasn't able to get to grips with the basics. I'd put a baby gate up across the stairs. You don't say what she is, breed or type-wise but for some dogs, stairs are a no-no.This is just the first day - set up a place for her to be that's quiet and out of the hussle of the family - do you know if she's used to having a crate as a bed because I'd suggest having one, with the top and 3 sides covered, would give her a safe base. But if she shows signs of being at all upset with a crate, then abandon this idea. I would suggest that keeping her in just a few rooms rather than having the whole run of the house yet, would be best. And let her see where her water bowl is and where her food bowl will be. Right now she needs a routine set up as soon as you can, so she knows what's expected of her.My best advice would be to take it very slowly. Don't overload her with too much if she's showing signs of being timid at the moment. Do you know any history - it might help you understand what's gone on in her life so you'll know why she's doing what, if possible. Good on you for adopting - it takes a special kind of person who does this.

• She is scared, she feels more comfortable where she is so make sure she has water and food until she feels ready to come out. Your other dog will most likely be all over her so perhaps get your dog in the same room but not your dog near your new one, just so she gets used to your dogs presence. Shutting your door will most likely make her more stressed as upstairs is where she wants to be. Don't try to get her downstairs, maybe encourage her with treats and talk to her - the important thing is not to crowd herWhoever in your family will most likely spend the most time with her and training her, should try to bond with her first, if she trusts that person then she'll most likely more willing to do as she asks.If this hasn't helped then give her more time maybe or contact someone who will give you more advice!Hope this has helped! :D

• dont all crowd over her and dont be realy noisy chances are she is scared so introduce her to everyone one at a time and eventulally she will soon get used to the house hold