How to get my dog to be nice and calm with another dog?

Me and my friend have just recently(as in 2 days ago) been walking our dogs together. Her dog,Jack, is more laid back, but gets nervous easily. My dog,Gizmo, on the other hand is the complete opposite but usually Gizmo is cool around Jack but sometimes…

Me and my friend have just recently(as in 2 days ago) been walking our dogs together. Her dog,Jack, is more laid back, but gets nervous easily. My dog,Gizmo, on the other hand is the complete opposite but usually Gizmo is cool around Jack but sometimes…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How to get my dog to be nice and calm with another dog?...

• How to get my dog to be nice and calm with another dog?

How to get my dog to be nice and calm with another dog? Dogs Training Discussions
      Me and my friend have just recently(as in 2 days ago) been walking our dogs together. Her dog,Jack, is more laid back, but gets nervous easily. My dog,Gizmo, on the other hand is the complete opposite but usually Gizmo is cool around Jack but sometimes he'll bark and lunge a bit. Anyone know a way to get them to warm up to each other a bit more?

How to get my dog to be nice and calm with another dog? Dogs Training Discussions
    • dogs become friends when they walk together. When you meetup with your friend for a dog walk dont let the dogs meet eachother just yet. Make it flow so that they cant sniff eachother they can only walk side by side. Once they a tired from walking and both seem relaxed walking with eachother then let them meet in a neutral territory. Maybe Gizmo doesnt like Jacks submissive behavior. Sometimes when dogs get insecure other dogs will take advantage of their insecurities or try to correct the problem by nipping the insecure dog.

• It just takes time and proper introductions. If one dog is more fearful, that dog should walk behind the other dog. That way there is no threat. You should never introduce dogs face to face as that can provoke aggression/fear response. Dogs meet and greet each other with the butt sniff. If you can get them to exchange just a bit of a greeting behavior, then quickly walk on so there is no time for a problem to build.Dogs that are fearful of other dogs/animals/humans are dogs that have not been properly socialized early in life. Even though they are pack animals, if they are not socialized, they can be fearful and protective of their home territory or their human. Too many people have the problem you describe because they never bothered to train and socialize their dogs early in life. In too many situations, this can lead to serious problems.Until the dogs are comfortable with each other, make sure to keep them leashed so they can be controlled. Hopefully, the dogs are wearing proper harnesses, especially the lunging one, so they will not injure the neck. You should never lead your dog with a leash attached to a collar. A collar is really for identification but are dangerous for leading, especially an untrained dog.You should practice walking the dogs on a neutral area, not at anyone's home territory that has to be defended. That can come later. You can begin to walk them kind of far apart but side by side so they can see each other. Improper behavior should be corrected. If the dogs pulls, you can stop, stand still, do nothing, say nothing until the dog figures out the right behavior which is to calm down, be quiet and sit still. Then give a good food reward and verbal "good boy" and much praise and petting. Then begin your walk again. Eventually get closer and closer. Then you can try the following behind, not close, but then decrease the distance gradually. No screaming and yelling or jerking on the leash. There are many different positive training techniques, and that is all I use, positive reinforcement. It works beautifully and my dogs have always learned quickly. That said, I began training and socialization the day I brought my dogs home (pitt bull and german shepherd) as my dogs are innately protective and can have guarding behavior. I have horses, birds, cats (inside and rescued barn cats) and my persian can step on my sleeping pittys face and she doesn't even wake up. I was told when I got my shepherd that "part of the family used to raise GS, they are cat killers and you can never get it out of them - total BS), my GS loves cats and cleans my persians face all the time. Sorry, off track, the point I am attempting to make is that you can make your dogs whatever you want them to be but it takes time and dedication and commitment and patience and kindness with proper training techniques. You never want your dogs to fear you or be confused by your actions so you and everyone in the household has to be consistent in their reaction to the dog. If everyone is not on the same page, it will be difficult to maintain proper training techniques. Make sense?Be patient and you two should train both dogs in the same manner as they learn to get acquainted with each other. If both of you do not participate, then again, confusion is all that will happen. But if you work together, and it sounds like you want to do so, you can develop a wonderful and successful training program. Good luck with your dogs and above all, be safe.

• Well congrats on getting a new dog:)First of all, make sure that you are the leader. Make sure that the dog is not walking is front of you, but beside you. This way it's easier for you to control Gizmo and he knows that you are the leader. If he starts to pull forward and lunge DO NOT pull backwards, because then you' re just creating a competition of who is stronger and he could get hurt. Instead give a multitude of little tugs towards yourself and you can give him a tap with your foot on the side of his bum (not hard enough to hurt but just enough to remind who' s leader, espacially if it's a big dog.) Second of all, make sure your leash isn't too long or too short. The leash should let him go no further than about a meter away from you, that way you can control him, but he still has room to breathe. If it becomes a problem, then yes, shorten the leash. When he starts to listen again, then give him more space.Tirdly, to avoid Gizmo lunging at other things, make him pay attention to the walk, not the animals or people around. If you want him to meet another dog while talking a walk, then sure go ahead, but I' m talking about squirrels running or something. When he looks at something that's distracting him and his ears go forword, that means he is being dominant. In order to have a good walk, he must be CALM AND SUBMISSIVE. Once again, give little tugs to the side if he becomes dominant and keepwalking. Make him look away from the distraction. DO NOT give him affection to calm him down or start of conversation or yelling telling him to calm down. It doesn't help at all. Lastly, have the right energy, because dogs know how you are feeling. Gizmo and other dogs must know that you are the leader. It's important, no it's essentiel, for them to know that you are the leader. You must be confident, stay calm (even when he lunges or barks,) walk with your head high and walk NOT tensed up. Once you are done the walk, DO NOT give him a treat for taking a nice walk. The walk is a treat for dogs and you don't give a treat for a treat, that's just doesn't make sense. Before taking a walk, make sure that Gizmo is calm. DO NOT hype him up and get him exited, or he won' t listen to you. The leader walks in and out of the door first, which is you. Trust me, it makes a difference.Most of all BE CONSISTENT.Well I hope this helped. Good luck.For more info visit Ceasar Millan's site. He works wonders