My son has a report and we are not sure how where to look for the answers! Do dogs have ADHD?

My son has a report that is due by the last school day in Aug. He needs to find out if dogs have ADHD, how it is treated and his other question is do male dogs feel sadness when separated from their puppies?

My son has a report and we are not sure how where to look for the answers! Do dogs have ADHD?

My son has a report that is due by the last school day in Aug. He needs to find out if dogs have ADHD, how it is treated and his other question is do male dogs feel sadness when separated from their puppies?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : My son has a report and we are not sure how where to look for the answers! Do dogs have ADHD?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My son has a report and we are not sure how where to look for the answers! Do dogs have ADHD?

My son has a report and we are not sure how where to look for the answers! Do dogs have ADHD? Dog Breed Discussions
      My son has a report that is due by the last school day in Aug. He needs to find out if dogs have ADHD, how it is treated and his other question is do male dogs feel sadness when separated from their puppies?

My son has a report and we are not sure how where to look for the answers! Do dogs have ADHD? Dog Breed Discussions
    • ADHD is a disorder human beings came up with for human beings. It cannot be applied to dogs, just as post-traumatic stress disorder, or bipolar disorder cannot be applied to dogs. They simply don't have the brain development, nor the psychological structure.Male dogs don't even realize that the puppies on the ground are a product of their sperm...so, no. They do not feel sadness when separated from their puppies.The sire of my last litter would probably have killed the puppies, if I'd have let him near them. They can not connect the act of mating with the birth of puppies 63 days later, and they do not recognize their own offspring.ADD: itsme - You DO realize that your second link was satire, right? Not scientific proof?...unless you think that "Dr. Heidi Vander Litter" is a real name.Hyperactive dogs (as discussed in the first link) are the result of poor genetics and/or unrelieved drives. NOT "ADHD".Try reading the links you post before you post them.

• go to ask.com and put in canine adhdI would put some sites up here but there are soooo many. so just do that and the first 3 or so sites should answer all of your questions.

• Male dogs never interact with their puppies so there is no attachment to feel any kind of emotion from. This is a question for a breeder. One that has a brain, not a BYB.I personally don't believe in ADHD for humans or dogs - it's an effect of not getting enough discipline or exercise, incorrect diet or other lifestyle issue. If you want to call the JRT that never gets to go outside an ADHD dog you can but the issue would be corrected with discipline, boundaries and routine exercise. This would be a good question for a vet.

• This is a helpful article relating what we term as ADHD in humans, to high-activity and low attention span in dogs:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hyperactivity-in-dogs/page1.aspxTo a certain extent, many of the things that heightens human's activity can also similarly affect dogs.If a dog is fed a diet high in grains, food coloring, chemical preservatives, and other chemicals used in processing, the owner may see dramatic increase in attention span and a more controlled energy when they switch the dog's food to a more natural food source. We often see the same results in changing a human's diet. As Loki said, it is usually a result of poor breeding..but then, that also correlates with the human condition, as it appears to be at least somewhat genetic in humans. Anyway, that is a good article link above, and will help with his report.By far, in MOST cases, where the owner complains of 'hyper' activity and/or an untrainable dog, it is a merely a dog-owner mismatch. The owner has chosen the wrong breed or breed type for his own lifestyle. What would be a helpful, even superior, farm dog or hunter, is a misplaced and unruly pet in an apartment, or with a human family with an inactive lifestyle.***Now, concerning males bonding with pups..It depends on the breed. My breed, Afghan hounds, the males do bond with pups, and pine for them when they are gone. If I keep a pup from the litter, Dad and pup remain close, nearly inseparable, for life.