Why does my dog snap and growl at strangers and not to anyone at home?

This dog was a rescue dog and I don't know why he ended up in the shelter and don't know if he was abused. He just doesn't seem to let people pet him or touch him, except everyone at home.My dog is a labrador retriever, which we got from a rescue. We…

This dog was a rescue dog and I don't know why he ended up in the shelter and don't know if he was abused. He just doesn't seem to let people pet him or touch him, except everyone at home.My dog is a labrador retriever, which we got from a rescue. We…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Why does my dog snap and growl at strangers and not to anyone at home?...

• Why does my dog snap and growl at strangers and not to anyone at home?

Why does my dog snap and growl at strangers and not to anyone at home? Dogs Training Discussions
      This dog was a rescue dog and I don't know why he ended up in the shelter and don't know if he was abused. He just doesn't seem to let people pet him or touch him, except everyone at home.My dog is a labrador retriever, which we got from a rescue. We also have another labrador retriever, which we had since he has been a puppy. He's extremely friendly. They do get along with each other. I just didn't expect that kind of behavior from labs.

Why does my dog snap and growl at strangers and not to anyone at home? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Because he might of been abused before. What kind of dog is it? If it's a chihuahua, then that's normal, those are the kinds of breeds that do that. You could train him if u want him to stop. That may help. Socialize him too, bring him to downtown, to Starbucks or something. Hope this helps!

• Dogs are naturaly protective of their owners and their territory. They will attempt to scare off any intruders or people they feel will do harm. My dog is also a shelter dog, he was very skittish around me when I got him about 7 weeks ago, but after a week he loved me now I'm his buddy and daddy. He doesnt mind my roomies or our friends that come over regularly.

• Loved your answers here..OK, two reasons that he is acting this way..one, he is a social misfit that was either not socialized properly or more likely he has some problems with his temperament that are genetic in nature such as fear aggression issues and there is not much you can do about that..or, he is being a little prick because someone did not correct him for that behavior, or even encouraged it when there was clearly no threat to him.A dog like that is a lawsuit waiting for a lawyer to file it and will bite someone out of fear when he gets pushed too much.Be careful and good luck!!

• There are more bites from Golden Retrievers every year than Pit Bulls...every breed bites. Most likely he has learned that growling and snapping makes scary things go away. You want him to learn that scary things are actually really really good things -- hopefully bearing delcious treats. It can be a very treatable issue, I have a highly reactive rescue dog who has the same issues. Until you can work on his issues, protect your dog and don't let strangers pet him.

• Sounds like he might be scared of new people maybe due to poor socialization or bad experiences. As you and your family are part of his "pack" he has no reason to snap/growl at you. The growling and snapping are a defense mechanism designed to keep people at distance. Think of it this way: If you were walking up to someone to say hi and they started screaming at you and swinging punches you would probably leave them alone and walk away. Same for him. If he's scared he can growl and snap and the "threat" goes away. If it is just fear you can have some people walk by him and throw little bits of chicken or dog treat his way. They don't touch him, talk to him or look at him, just toss the chicken his way and walk by. After several walk-bys he'll see that someone approaching is a good thing. He'll think "hey, people approaching give treats. I hope lots of people walk by". And little by little you can up the training until he is more relaxed around people. Hope this helps.I included some websites that might offer more help. An obedience class might help. If he is not scared he might be shy or have other issues.

• Throw a puppy party and have everyone feed him treats. Have friend and neighbors stop buy with treats. When he greets people nice he gets a treat. Do this very often and fast. He needs to learn not all strangers are bad. do not hide him a way or his behavior will worsen. You need to socialize him. Buy a gentle leader and take him on walks. Gental leaders will still allow the dog to open his mouth until you pull the leash a little and it will automatically tighten. LOTS OF CUDDLES AND TREATS FROM EVERYONE.