How to keep my dog from growling and jumping?

I have a 13 month old blue heeler named Rodeo. He is an absolutely gorgeous and very friendly dog but he has two big issues I just cant seem to solve, he growls at times and he jumps all over people. When he does something bad and I tell him no or go…

I have a 13 month old blue heeler named Rodeo. He is an absolutely gorgeous and very friendly dog but he has two big issues I just cant seem to solve, he growls at times and he jumps all over people. When he does something bad and I tell him no or go…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How to keep my dog from growling and jumping?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to keep my dog from growling and jumping?

How to keep my dog from growling and jumping? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have a 13 month old blue heeler named Rodeo. He is an absolutely gorgeous and very friendly dog but he has two big issues I just cant seem to solve, he growls at times and he jumps all over people. When he does something bad and I tell him no or go outside he will growl and every night when he is really tired and I need to move him or I tell him to move he growls. Now, he doesnt bite and has never snapped at me or anyone but the growling can get intimidating to some people because he does get quite loud at times and Im not sure how to stop it. The other thing is the jumping, he jumps on people all the time including children. He doesn't want to hurt them he just gets really excited, the ears go back and the tail starts wagging really fast, then he jumps. I tell him "down" or "sit" but nothing really works. Any ideas? everything is welcome.

How to keep my dog from growling and jumping? Dogs Training Discussions
    • You can train Rodeo not to growl and not to jump. There are two ways. One is through a command and treat training rewards when he does the right thing, in additional to no when he does the wrong thing. My dog Leo used to have the same problem and I trained him not to jump; my dog Maize growled and now knows the command silent and that she gets a treat when she stops. Typically, the carrot works better than the stick. For jumping, additionally, the best way is to have the person turn their back and look up at the ceiling, ignoring the dog. If you do these two consistently, you can train your dog to stop both. I have good articles on this -- training your dog not to bark (essentially the same thing) and animal communication, treat training and so on on my site www.treateater.com. Hope this helps. Kisses, Treateater.com.

• Hi,Rodeo is from the breed of cattle dogs. These dogs are smart, hard working, stubborn, independent and energetic. They don't get tired easily. Here are some ideas that might help you to stop him from growling and jumping. 1. Keep him very busy Dogs of this breed need a job or responsibility every single day. So, take your dog for a 45 minutes walk every day and give him challenging mental exercises daily. Also, make him do some hard physical exercises every day. You have a dog who is from the breed of the most obedient of dogs. So, train him using some good dog treats. You can prepare a backpack having books that weigh between 10 and 20 % of the dog’s weight. Tie this backpack on the dog's back before taking him for awalk. This will make him tired and will keep him from jumping unnecessarily.2. Choose the right food for your dog Dogs of this breed need meat in their food. So, choose dog food that has Chicken or Fish. Check out this one http://primepetsupply.com/product/healthwise-chicken-and-oatmeal-weight-control-dry-dog-food/ You can also take a look at some other dog food options here http://home-and-garden.become.com/dog-food The right dog food will keep your dog less irritated and more energetic.3. Act like the 'Pack Leader'Your dog is from a breed thatis dominanting by nature. So, it is really important to be the pack leader and not to let your dog be the pack leader. Don't allow him to even go near the kids. Use sound like 'Shhhhhhhh' along with a firm body language to tell him who the master is. After a few days, you can allow him to go near the kids but you must repeat the same sound when he jumps on them. Your dog has to understand that 'Shhhhhhhhhh' and your flat face with no epression means 'No.' Don't be scared. Just stand in front of him, blocking his way until he decides not to jum on the kids or a couch. Put a leash on him and when he growls, just say loudly "Hey!" and stand up with all your confidence. Dogs can sens fear. So, don't be sared. Take him right where you want even if he is growling. This is not rude. A dog's mother acts as athoritatively as this to train him. So, don't feel guilty.

• Your dog is dominant. It sees itself as the pack leader or Alpha dog in that house and you and your husband as the bettas. The only way to correct this problem is to assert your dominance over the dog and to do that you must do the following ALL THE TIME...- You must go through doors first before your dog- You must push the dog off the couch and claim the spot where the dog was sitting- If the dog is on the floor, do not walk around it or over it, that is being submissive. You must push it out of the way with your foot and walk through the dog. - You must eat dinner before you feed your dog and your dog must ask (RE: lie down) before you give the food. Then if the dog jumps for the food you must push it away to claim the food. Only when you say "GO" can they eat it. In the wild the ALpha wolf always eats first. If you have cats they also eat before the dog. Dog eats last.- When you walk the dog it must walk beside or behind you. Never in front - that is dominant- When you give a toy to the dog put it on the ground and put your foot on it to claim it and wait for the dog to submit (re:; lie down). If the dog comes close to you and near the door, push it away to claim your space and just try to take your foot off and if the dog stays still on the floor calmly give it to them. That is a submissive dog. - If they travel in a car with you they must ask (re: lie down) before you open the door. If you open the door and they get up, clsoe it and then open again once the dog is laying. They must learn that the open door does not mean exit. This goes for at your house too. Only when you are out the door first and call them can they exit- if ppl are around you mist stand around the people and claim te and push the do away. Wait until the dog submits (lies down) and then call them to come greet the ppl. I they run to greet them, push the dog away and make them submit again and repeat until they calmly walk to greet. This goes for you too. A submissive do will greet you with its butt facing you (which is what you want).Only when you do all these things on a consistent basis will your dog stop growling. You will know if your dog is submissive just by putting your foot on top of your dogs paw. If your dog pulls it out from you it is dominant (which is bad). your dog should allow you to do that. Do what I suggest and you will have a good dog. Everyone in the house must do these things too. Good luck.