How can I keep my dog inside a fenced in area?

We just got a new dog and we've been trying to keep her outside (to use the bathroom) but she keeps getting out of the fenced in area we have for her. We don't want her running away. How can we keep her inside there? (preferably without tying her up)HOW…

We just got a new dog and we've been trying to keep her outside (to use the bathroom) but she keeps getting out of the fenced in area we have for her. We don't want her running away. How can we keep her inside there? (preferably without tying her up)HOW…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How can I keep my dog inside a fenced in area?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I keep my dog inside a fenced in area?

How can I keep my dog inside a fenced in area? Dogs Training Discussions
      We just got a new dog and we've been trying to keep her outside (to use the bathroom) but she keeps getting out of the fenced in area we have for her. We don't want her running away. How can we keep her inside there? (preferably without tying her up)HOW can we fix the fence?

How can I keep my dog inside a fenced in area? Dogs Training Discussions
    • I don't leave my dogs alone outside for any length of time. Too many dangerous and always a possibility of escaping even with a fence. Take your dog out to potty every few hours until she's housetrained. Keep extending the time in between taking her out a little bit at a time.

• Dogs are notoriously adept at escaping from yards, whether it’s by digging, climbing, chewing, or even learning to open a gate. If you’re planning to adopt an outdoor dog, or if your dog spends time unsupervised outdoors, it’s important to learn what causes this behavior and what type of fencing solutions can help you prevent it. The first step if you have a problem with a canine escape artist is to determine how it is getting out of the yard. If there is no physical evidence to show how the dog is escaping from your yard, it’s likely that it is a climber. Many breeds are very good at this and can use the rails inside a wood fence or the mesh in chain link fence to get a foothold.According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, dogs have a number of possible reasons for wanting to escape a yard. Among the most common are boredom, sexual roaming, fear of something in the yard, and separation anxiety. Here’s a look at how the ASPCA recommends addressing each problem: Boredom. Dogs are pack animals and thrive on social interaction. If left alone in a fenced yard for long periods of time, they become frustrated and desperate for company. To combat boredom, try to spend more time with your dog. Take it for daily walks, teach it tricks, and play with it more often. Keep interesting dog toys in the yard and rotate them periodically. You could also consider getting another dog for company. Alternatively, keep your dog indoors or take it to “doggie day care” when it must be left alone for long periods. Sexual roaming. The sexual urge is very strong in unsterilized pets, and it may be extremely difficult for a fence to restrain them. This is one reason it’s important to have pets spayed or neutered at an appropriate age. Fears. If you think your dog might be escaping your yard due to fears, try to pinpoint the phobia. Many dogs will bolt in a thunderstorm or if they hear fireworks or loud construction. Also consider that the dog might be being teased by children. If you can’t leave your dog indoors in such cases, it’s important to provide a “safe” place in your yard, such as a doghouse, where the dog can retreat if it is frightened. You might need professional help to desensitize the dog or to obtain a prescription for anti-anxiety medication. Separation anxiety. If your dog has a strong attachment to you and escapes from a fenced yard shortly after you leave, its problem might be separation anxiety. If this is the case, seek professional help to recondition the dog and obtain anti-anxiety medications. For a climber. Some wood and chain link fences are pretty easy for larger dogs to climb. If that is your problem and you don’t want to replace the whole fence, you may need to add an extension to the top of the fence that is angled inward 45 degrees. Another option is to install rolls of bamboo fencing on the inside of an existing structure. The material is slick, and a dog will not be able to climb it. Masonry walls and ornamental fencing also prevent climbing. For a chewer. Dogs can sometimes chew their way through older wood fences, especially if the fence is already damaged. To discourage a chewer, replace any damaged fence boards immediately and spray them with vinegar or some other bad-tasting substance to train your dog to stay away. For a digger. If your dog is digging under the fence to get out of the yard, you can try sinking pavers or large stones along the fence line or using a wire mesh to secure it. A more permanent solution is to dig a trench several inches deep along the fence line and fill it with concrete. Keeping the dog away from the fence in the first place can also be effective for chewing or digging. Try planting shrubs along the fence or simply laying down chicken wire along it to make it uncomfortable for the dog to walk. Problem cases. It is very difficult to use punishment to retrain a dog to stay in a yard, because it will only work if the correction is given at the moment of the escape and if the dog does not see you administer the correction. While you are improving or replacing your fence to keep your dog contained, it might be best to keep it indoors or to have someone else look after it while you are away. Because of the potential for injury, dogs should be chained in a yard only as a last resort. Underground or “invisible” fencesUsed properly, underground fences are an extremely effective way to keep a dog within a predetermined area. Keep in mind, however, that they do not keep other dogs, wild animals, or children from entering your yard and harassing your dog. How it works. An electric dog fence—also called a wireless dog fence, an underground fence, or an invisible fence—works by using a transmitter to broadcast a weak radio signal. A wire, strategically buried along perimeter of the area where you want to keep the dog confined, picks up the signal just like an ordinary radio antenna. The dog wears

• train your dog by giving her treats when she's outside and doesn't get out. by this she will learn that not getting out is good. later on praise her when she doesn't get out. add some more strength to the fencing too. if none of this works you probably will have to tie her up. good luck!

• Well you need to walk the fence line and see if you can find out where she is getting out. Sometimes they go under a fence, sometimes over one. You didn't tell us what kind of fence it is. You can sometimes put things at the bottom of the fence like totes, lumber, chicken wire, bales of hay, things to block her exit. My neighbors had to put a child's bike in the gate area of the fence because that is how their puppy got out. If the fence is broken you can buy metal ties at the lumber store, like Home Depot or Lowes and re wire the fence. If the fence is too short and the dog is jumping over the fence you could add more fencing to the top of the fence. The most effective thing to do would be to make sure the dog gets plenty of walks and play time so it will want to stay at your house. My dogs never got out, but the neighbors dogs did all the time.