How do I make my new dog stop messing in the house when I leave?

I got a new dog, a mutt, from the pound. Everytime I leave her alone, she pees and poops in the house, but doesn't do that when we are home. I'm so frustrated. Dont want to give her up.

I got a new dog, a mutt, from the pound. Everytime I leave her alone, she pees and poops in the house, but doesn't do that when we are home. I'm so frustrated. Dont want to give her up....
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do I make my new dog stop messing in the house when I leave?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I make my new dog stop messing in the house when I leave?

How do I make my new dog stop messing in the house when I leave? Dogs Training Discussions
      I got a new dog, a mutt, from the pound. Everytime I leave her alone, she pees and poops in the house, but doesn't do that when we are home. I'm so frustrated. Dont want to give her up.

How do I make my new dog stop messing in the house when I leave? Dogs Training Discussions
    • We had that problem with a dog we got a while back.. What we did was crate trained her and then made sure she went straight outside when we got home from work.. It worked because she wouldnt go in her crate.. We never scolded her because we just figured that she had high separation anxiety, so we bought her a safe place to be in while we were away.. Worked like a charm..

• Crate train her!!!! Crates are valuable training tools. If she is confined in a crate it is unlikely she will eliminate while you are gone. If she does you may need to look at her feeding/ exercise schedule and modify it. A crate will make her feel secure while you are gone. Dogs see crates as their den. Once they get used to them they love their crate as they feel secure there.

• Our dog does the same thing. She doesn't really pee or poop, but she gets into everything. When we are at home, she doesn't chew on anything, but as soon as we are gone, she chews on anything she can get her mouth on. I think your dog may be peeing and pooping out of fear. I would give her time to adjust to her new family. I've started putting my dog in our laundry room. It has tile on the floor so if she does make a mess, it's easier to clean up. Plus there isn't much she can get into in there. Just put like a little bed and some toys so she doesn't get bored.

• A dog's gotta go sometime, right?Try and have her paper trained. That way, she'll at least go on a newspaper on the floor.It might also be her way of wreaking vengeance on you for leaving her at home all by herself. If this might be the case, get her some stimulating toys, or maybe get another dog to keep her company. Or, keep her in your backyard, if one is available. As long as she has a dog house, food and water, she should be fine until you get home.Do NOT listen to what Daisy said. Rubbing your dog's nose in her own urine/feces when she goes in an unallowed spot does not work and is just plain mean. She will not learn anything from that. That's just as useless as yelling at your pet for soiling your house after you get home...all that will do is make them scared of you. They won't be able to put two and two together, realizing you're mad at them for the mess they've made. They're smart, but not THAT smart.I hate when people don't know what they are talking about!

• Please understand that she has separation anxiety which is why she is going in the house. She is a scared little girl and is unsure of her new surroundings. She has been through so much. Crate training is a great option as it gives her a feeling of security and not so vulnerable. Or just put her in her own little room with her comfort stuff: bed, stuffies, chewies. When you come home, go right to her and greet her...give her lots of attention before you continue on with your normal routine.

• Take her out for a 15 min walk just before you leave her. The only prob is, you should really catch her at it to get her into trouble for it, as dogs don't link bad behaviour unless you tell them off when they do it. A couple of hours later is no good. If she pees in the same place every time, then try using disinfectant on the mess, to discourage her from using the same place.This is prob a sign of protest for you leaving her (same situation as when she was in the pound). She doesn't think you are coming back. And in the pound she could poo and pee wherever she wanted. Make her realise you are coming home. Pick a day and leave her for 5 mins. Then come right back in. Greet her, be happy, praise her for being good. Then make it 15 mins. Do the same - reward her, she has been a good girl. Then same for say, half an hour. Come in, praise her. Then 5 mins. Then 15. Then half hour. Then a bit longer. It's all about building up a pattern of her behaviour. Make sure when you leave her, you give her something to do so she isn't fretting about whether or not you are coming home. Distraction toys are good - Kongs stuffed with food, or a special ball filled with treats. You can also get puzzle toys. Just make sure EVERY time you step in that door, she gets brilliant praise. It will take time though - don't expect sudden miracles.Hope this helps!!!

• Get doggie pads and keep one where the dog can get to it train it to use the pad ,not the floor , If he goes on the floor rub his nose in the pee and put him on the paper ,repeat this as often as necessary ,he'll get the message.P.S. change paper as needed.

• I believe you should crate train her. It works well. I would also suggest spraying certain items that you don't want to be ruined or touched with sour apple spray, which can be bought at pet shops. I use it with my dog. It works great, and keeps my dog away from certain things!

• According to Cesar Millan you are *not* supposed to make a big deal out of greeting your dog when you get home. Same goes for when you leave, it only causes more seperation anxiety.