Why does my dog tremble when our toaster oven is on?

My dog is fairly old, but he is in good health. I have never seen him tremble like this before! Only minutes after we turn on the toaster oven to heat something up, he starts trembling and goes downstairs. However, he is completely fine with our oven…

My dog is fairly old, but he is in good health. I have never seen him tremble like this before! Only minutes after we turn on the toaster oven to heat something up, he starts trembling and goes downstairs. However, he is completely fine with our oven…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Why does my dog tremble when our toaster oven is on?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why does my dog tremble when our toaster oven is on?

Why does my dog tremble when our toaster oven is on? Dogs Training Discussions
      My dog is fairly old, but he is in good health. I have never seen him tremble like this before! Only minutes after we turn on the toaster oven to heat something up, he starts trembling and goes downstairs. However, he is completely fine with our oven that we use for baking all the time.

Why does my dog tremble when our toaster oven is on? Dogs Training Discussions
    • It could be related to a bad memory the dog had or has had, or maybe it's something strange and new and frightening to him so he'd rather not experiment with it. It could seriously be anything you should ask a behavior expert since sometimes dogs could do things that mean they are happy but it looks like they are sad

• Sometimes dogs develop a fear of objects. A dog might develop a fear of one specific thing or seem fearful around a number of objects. Some dogs only fear objects of a certain size, shape or color. Others fear all unfamiliar objects, regardless of appearance.Dogs respond to fear in different ways. Sometimes a frightened dog will retreat, try to run away, hide or display fearful body language. She might lower her body, hunch her back, hold her tail low or tucked, flatten her ears, avert her gaze, keep her mouth closed, lick her lips, whine, tremble or urinate. At other times, a dog might respond to fear with defensive aggression, which can include barking, lunging, growling, snapping and biting.Always keep your dog on a leash.Stay as far away as possible from whatever frightens your dog.Stay as far away as possible from other people when your dog displays fearful body language. Because she’s afraid, she might growl, bark or even bite people who get too close to her or attempt to touch her when she’s upset.If people try to approach or pet your dog when she’s frightened or nervous, tell them to please stay away. Handling or attention from people—especially strangers—might increase your dog’s fear. You can politely explain that because your dog isn’t feeling comfortable, she doesn’t want to visit.Keep your movements and voice calm. If you seem anxious or upset, your dog might become even more afraid.A qualified professional can help you design and carry out a plan to change the way your dog feels and acts. If your dog shows fearful and aggressive behavior, consult a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist (CAAB or ACAAB) or a board-certified veterinary behaviorist (Dip ACVB). If you can’t find a behaviorist, you can seek help from a Certified Professional Dog Trainer (CPDT), but be sure that the trainer is qualified to help you. Desensitization with counterconditioning is a treatment procedure that can help reduce or eliminate a dog’s fear of a specific object. This method focuses on changing a dog’s perception of a thing from frightening to pleasant by very gradually exposing the dog to the object she fears while teaching her that very good things—rather than scary or painful things—always happen around that object. The good things can include highly desirable food and treats, favorite toys, a favorite game, attention, petting or anything else the dog absolutely loves.Do not force your dog to confront her fear by making her look at, approach or interact with an object that frightens her. This practice can actually increase your dog’s fear and worsen her behavior.Do not scold or physically punish your dog for being afraid, even if her response to fear includes barking, growling or other aggressive behavior. Punishing your dog by yelling or physically “correcting” her will merely intensify her fear and distress—and it will probably worsen her aggressive behavior.Do not constantly reassure your dog. You do want her to look to you for safety and security, but it’s not helpful to repeatedly pick her up or chant, “It’s okay, it’s okay....” Your dog won’t understand what you’re saying, and if you sound anxious, you might make her even more upset. Instead, calmly praise and reward your dog for confident, relaxed behavior if she offers it on her own.