how long does it take for a puppy to get used to a new home?

I just got a puppy; he is about 4 1/2 months old. How long does it take for them to become comfortable? How long will it take to pottey train it and what is the best way to?

I just got a puppy; he is about 4 1/2 months old. How long does it take for them to become comfortable? How long will it take to pottey train it and what is the best way to?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : how long does it take for a puppy to get used to a new home?...

• how long does it take for a puppy to get used to a new home?

how long does it take for a puppy to get used to a new home? Dogs Training Discussions
      I just got a puppy; he is about 4 1/2 months old. How long does it take for them to become comfortable? How long will it take to pottey train it and what is the best way to?

how long does it take for a puppy to get used to a new home? Dogs Training Discussions
    • he should get used to it in a week...make sure he knows where the door is to go outside...when you take him out and he pees or poohs...give him tons of praise...never smack him if he has an accident inside...just say NO ! IN A LOUD VOCE AND IMMEDIATLEY TAKE HIM OUTSIDE....as soon as he knows he gets lots of praise for poohing outside he will try to please you...if he poohs inside...put the pooh outside..so he can smell thats the place to pooh.

• aww poor puppy..I know what you mean. When we got our puppy, she was younger than 4 months and she would just walk around the house whimpering and crying...I'm guessing she missed her Mommy. It broke our hearts. But just love her and hold her and it should only take a couple days. Now the potty training..I'm sorry but that will take longer. Just keep your eyes on him and every time he starts sniffing around like he has to go, pick him up real fast and either throw him in a box with ripped newspaper, or outside. When he makes it out there reward him. It wont take too long. Good luck and have fun

• I got my puppy when he was 12 weeks old. He was a bit quiet for the first few days, but then came out of his shell. Didn't take him long at all to get used to his new family. For the first night I did nothing in the way of potty training. The following day we started. Alot of people don't like to do this, but I find putting their nose right down to the mess helped out a lot. Also taking him outside every half hour or so and whenever he did his business, lavish attention on him saying what a good boy he was. Doing all of this, it only took him two weeks to fully train. A few days to get the hang of it and a week or so to alllow 'accidents'.Hope this helps! Good luck!!

• In case you didn't already know, do NOT listen to gibaldrac or whatever the hell his name is. Never spank a puppy til he's been trained and is at least 6 months old and even then it should be done sparingly and for a specific purpose. Not just because he makes you mad or irritates you.Depending on the dog himself, he should begin immediately integrating into his new surroundings. If he takes a little longer, that's OK. Just be loving but firm; show him what to do and let him know what's right and wrong; acceptable and unacceptable. They WANT to please you, and they want you to show that you are the master. You should watch that show "The Dog Whisperer"; you'll learn a lot from that guy. Also, if you have Pets mart or Pet Menu near you, they have group obedience classes. Congratulations and enjoy your puppy!

• minutes for some days for others! I suggest you let him alone and if you have rooms off limits, teach now or forever hold your peace> just like anything living it takes time to acclimate (adapt) smells, sites and sounds will take time. Oh the dude with the beating ideas should also be beaten until he behaves as an animal should!!

• i got my puppy when he was about 4 months it took him about 3 days to get used to the house and his new family but about a week and a half to fully trust us and actually lie next to us

• How long it takes for a dog to get comfortable depends on the dog's personality. It should take it a couple of weeks on average though. Just make sure youre spending enough time at home helping to make him comfortable. Juust don't overbear him. Let him explore on his own a little bit.The best way to potty train a puppy is to crate train them. Keep it in a crate while you're not home/not able to supervise him. Dogs don't like to relieve themselves where they sleep. It helps to have a schedule when you let them in and out of the house. When they're puppies they may need to be let out every few hours. An adult dog needs to be let out 3 times a day if it's healthy.The biggest thing is to praise your dog when he actually pees outside. That way they know they've pleased you. If he starts to pee on a rug, take him outside immediately. This process will take several months, but as the dog's bladder grows, accidents will be less likely.

• There all yours within a couple of days.The best sure fire way to house train is get a pet-toter and keep him in there for a few weeks ,it'll be his safe house and under NO circumstances can you scold him if he made it safely back to his safe haven. Before bedtime let him go outside and handle up.Also you need to let him go in the middle of the night (there still babies you know) but heres the key .Place the toter where its facing the door he'll be running outside through,you want it to be a straight shot and make sure the outside door is OPEN FIRST! THEN open his door he'll shoot right out in the yard and instinctively mark his turf. The beauty is dogs will rarely if EVER go where they sleep at so even though he'll be in a cage temporarily ,he'll learn to hold it!I gaurantee it!

• It usually takes 2-3 weeks at the most for the puppy to realise that this is his new home. When u first bring your new puppy home, he will be aprehensive and confused.Once indoors, restrict your puppy to 1 room. Let him sniff around and familiarize himself with his surroundings. Introduce him to his food and water bowls and bed. Do not move the bowls around- leave them in the same spot everyday or you will confuse your puppy.Be gentle with him, praise him for little things, such as being bold, playful and beautiful. Don't speak harshly to your pup. He must learn to love and trust u throughout these few weeks, not fear and hate you. You'll have plenty of time to train and discipline him AFTER the adjustment period.Try not to have friends around the house until he has settled in. Let him get used to you and your family first, before introducing him to strangers.If you have children, teach them to be gentle and quiet around the puppy when he is eating or sleeping. Children must learn that puppies are not toys and are quite fragile as pups. Children being rough with dogs is where most dog attacks happen.You could get a nice, warm safe crate for your puppy to regard as a safe place - never a place of punishment.Your puppy will cry most nights and ways to help this is to have a nice warm wrapped hot water bottle and a ticking clock. Put these in the pup's sleeping place and he will feel it's like his mother - warm and a beating heart (the hot water bottle and clock)Good Luck, and I hope you have a great time as a dog owner.:)And remember be VERY patient and understanding, he only new his family and how to drink and walk, he's lost his family so now u need to be as understanding and loving as his old family.www.dogster.com/?425921My puppy who is now 13 months old is on this page I mentioned. Everybody is welcome to have a look!