How do you crate train a puppy with separation anxiety?

I have a 4 month old puppy who gets severe separation anxiety when put in her crate to the point that she poops and pees even after she was just taken out and did all her business. She'll go in her cage within minutes of being put in there and we're…

I have a 4 month old puppy who gets severe separation anxiety when put in her crate to the point that she poops and pees even after she was just taken out and did all her business. She'll go in her cage within minutes of being put in there and we're…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do you crate train a puppy with separation anxiety?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you crate train a puppy with separation anxiety?

How do you crate train a puppy with separation anxiety? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have a 4 month old puppy who gets severe separation anxiety when put in her crate to the point that she poops and pees even after she was just taken out and did all her business. She'll go in her cage within minutes of being put in there and we're really not sure what to do about it. Any suggestions?

How do you crate train a puppy with separation anxiety? Dogs Training Discussions
    • I had this problem with my wolf-hybrid when he was much younger. I actually hired an animal behaviorist and she told me the best thing to do is to train him to be away from me (it takes a while).First thing - teach her to sit and stay - well enough that you can walk out of the room and be out of sight with her still staying. You can use treats/clicker etc. for this, although if you use treats - use them sparingly so she doesn't get into the train of thought that she only has to do good when you have food ;). After you can do this, stay out of the room for longer amounts of time. Eventually, start leaving the house for short periods of time - so she can't anticipate when you are coming back that way. Eventually (hopefully) she will be able to withstand being alone. Alternately, she may not be getting enough exercise and if you have time to wear her out before you leave that might help. I know that is hard for most people with jobs - so that is the only reason it is not my first suggestion.I would also try to get her more used to the crate - keep her in it while you are home in the room, then home - but out of the room, and so on. Having a dog used to a crate is indispensable honestly. You could also just go the route of doggie day care once she has had all of her vaccines. Or, if it is severe - she may need medication - although that is a last resort, as any medication has side-effects!Either way - good luck to you! Puppies are a TON of work, but totally worth it in the end.

• Put a towel in your puppy's crate. Don't use a good dog bed at this stage because you don't want to ruin it. Then put all of her toys at the back of the crate. When you go to play with her tell her to go and get her toys. In order to get the toys she has to go into the crate to get them. This makes the crate a 'toy box' and so it becomes positive. Also, she is going in it without the door closing so it isn't stressful. Since she is so upset in her crate at this point, it is all about getting her used to the crate very slowly. You can also put her in her crate to eat. She probably won't eat if you close the door, so leave the door open the first day or two and stay right beside the crate. Then close the crate door while she eats her supper, but stay in the room still. This again makes the crate a positive place where she gets fed. You don't always have to feed her in the crate, just occasionally right now so that she has something to distract her from the fear of the crate. You can teach her to 'go to bed'. Tell her go to bed while standing right at her crate door, and lure her into the crate with a treat. Give her the treat while she was still in the crate and praise her while she is still in the crate. When she comes out of the crate, stop praising, and just become neutral with her. Ask her again to 'go to bed', luring her into the crate. When she is in the crate praise her, give her a treat or a toy. She is allowed to leave the crate if she wants during this exercise, but she shouldn't be rewarded for being out of the crate.I also like putting stuffed Kongs in a dog's crate. Stuff the Kong with peanut butter and show her that there is yummy stuff inside. Put her in the crate and sit at the door to the crate. If she goes in and starts to lick the peanut butter, slowly close the crate door and open it again (without locking it). Repeat this until the Kong is finished. When she is done the peanut butter, just stand up and walk away from the crate. She can come out of the crate, but again, you are not going to reward her for leaving the crate (she already thinks leaving the crate is good). Since your puppy seems so anxious with the crate, you need to go very slowly so as not to get her more upset. The ideal is for your puppy to be happy being left in the crate alone, and even better if she is still willing to keep herself busy with a Kong while you are gone. Once your puppy is used to you putting her in the crate with the Kong (or supper or toy, whatever makes her happy), start closing the crate door as soon as you put her in the crate. Still sit beside the crate until she is done. Now you can start waiting a few seconds to open the crate door and let her out. You can start with 5-10 seconds. You need to let her out before she starts digging, barking, whining, peeing, etc. Start making this time longer, and start moving around the room while she is busy in her crate. She should be trusting that her crate is a safe place by this point. Continue adding distance and time to her being in the crate. Start giving her the treat in her crate and going outside then coming back in. She will learn that you are coming back and that the crate is a safe place (and has yummy snacks).As soon as the crate is no longer the worst thing in the world to her, you can start putting her in the crate whenever she falls asleep. If she is tired enough she won't even notice she was put in her crate. It is a great way for a dog to learn that the crate is a place to relax and be comfortable. Every time she falls asleep, put her in the crate.Good luck!

• Hi BrittanyHave you ever put your puppy in her crate as a punishment? If so this could by why she is messing in her crate due to anxiety.What size crate are you using? You should use the right size where she can only stand up, turn around and lay down comfortable. If it is too big she will use a part of the crate as a toilet but if it the right size she is less likely to soil it. So if its too big try partitioning it off to make it smaller.Also you should let her get used to the crate and be comfortable going in there by herself before you shut her in there. This needs to be done gradually, but once she gets used to her crate she will be happy to go in there.Take a look at the website below for some more puppy crate training tips.