How do I teach my puppy to stop biting people?

She is about 10 weeks old and is a Labrador Retriever. She is teething, so I'm almost positive that her sore mouth is the cause of all the biting. I have 3 daughters: ages 6, 7, and 11 and she bites them so hard, the skin swells and they begin to cry. …

She is about 10 weeks old and is a Labrador Retriever. She is teething, so I'm almost positive that her sore mouth is the cause of all the biting. I have 3 daughters: ages 6, 7, and 11 and she bites them so hard, the skin swells and they begin to cry. …...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do I teach my puppy to stop biting people?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I teach my puppy to stop biting people?

How do I teach my puppy to stop biting people? Dogs Training Discussions
      She is about 10 weeks old and is a Labrador Retriever. She is teething, so I'm almost positive that her sore mouth is the cause of all the biting. I have 3 daughters: ages 6, 7, and 11 and she bites them so hard, the skin swells and they begin to cry. I don't know what to do, because they will not go anywhere near the dog and she is putting my children in a state of constant fear! Please help!! Oh, and we have bought her plenty of toys, for example: Nylabones, Kongs, Plush Toys, and anything else you can imagine. She does have other things to chew on, so I don't know what the problem is!

How do I teach my puppy to stop biting people? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Go to a good pet store and buy some of that liquid stuff that is a disgusting flavour to dogs. Put it on it's nose each time it bites someone. Why are your friends so delicious?

• labs are very smart. You need to grab her nose and squeeze gently and say "no bit" in a firm voice. If this does not work then you will have to pop her on the nose/mouth. She will get it. Teach your kids the first method, and tell them they have to punish her also. If you do not fix this problem now then yo will have an ongoing problem.

• In the puppy training video, the guy said to sit there with the dog on your lap and put your hand in his mouth. When he bites you, yell OUCH! (But this was a brittish guy so he was more like "Say, OUUUWWWWCH!") And keep doing this spuratically at different times so that it will teach the dog that it is an unplesant feeling. Dogs who have been trained in this way will allow you to put your hand in their mouth without biting down on it.

• this is the trick: if she bites your hand instead of retracting your hand, push it more into her mouth until she gets uncomfortable. like.. look at your hand and seperate the area between your index and thumb. thats the part you push into her mouth and she'll cough. they dont like that feeling at all. and you also be firm and tell her BAD DOG! she'll get the point. i know it sounds odd but this is what a professional dog trainer told me to do.

• This sounds mean, but just hear me out. :PSmack her snout every time she bites somebody.I don't mean punch the poor thing...But slap her nose just enough to make her realize that what she's doing is wrong.Just enough to sting a little bit.She should stop biting after a week or so of being smacked in the nose.Dogs hate that.

• what you should buy is this spray called "bitter apple spray" whenever the dog bites or does something shes not supposed to, give her one spray in the mouth. it doesnt hurt her it just tastes bad to her. when you use it say "spray!" it worked with our golden retriever. now whenever he gets too out of control we just say "riley, im gonna get the spray" and he stops. on the bottle it mentions it should be used to spray on furnature so your dog doesnt chew it. forget that (well you can use it on furnature if she chews that). it is deffinatly not bad and cannot hurt them. our dog trainer actually reccomended it to us. you can get it at like any pet supplies stores. its in like a yellow or green spray bottle and its called "bitter apple" spray. and it works really good!

• Keep her on a leash all the time for a while. When she goes to chomp the kids, give a corrective tug and say "NO" firmly. The tug should be sharp enough to get her attention. Dogs have big muscles in their necks that protects them from damage so don't worry about hurting her. You need to be firm, otherwise your dog will train you.When the kids want to pet her, make her sit. Sitting makes a dog feel submissive and calm. It isn't about toys, or even teething, it's about teaching the dog house manners and establishing yourself as boss dog. Consider getting a book on dog training or go to an obedience class. "Dog Tricks for Dummies" is a good one. It has basic training in the begining, cute stuff to teach the dog, and some contests and competitions to do with your dog.Good luck.

• The puppy needs to be told immediately that biting is bad. Make a loud noise (big ouch) when she does it and tell her no. If she continues to do bite, every time she does it, make the noise, tell her no and put her in her crate. Pay no attention to her while she is in the crate (but only keep her in there for about two minutes). Let her out, praise her and play with her. You must keep repeating the actions until she makes a connection to your displeasure. When she plays without biting give her a treat and praise her.

• get a nylon muzzle. every time the dog bites one of your children or chews on something other than one of her toys put the muzzle on for about an hour. takes a week or two but its a very effective training tool. i've stopped two dogs from chewing up my house this way.,

• She is normal. All puppies bite on everything. She will eventuallystop biting people, but it may not be until shes's a year old. Just keep telling her No when she starts to bite your kids. Try to subsitute one of her toys for their hands. She is just playing &probably wants attention too. Good Luck!

• It takes a lot of work, but if you are consistent, it can be done. She bites not only because she is teething, but to her, people are other puppies and puppies bite each other when they play. I went through this with my mini pin last year when he was still a pup and occasionally he will still forget. When he would start to bite, I would firmly say, "no Jojo, give gently kisses', and then gently stroke his nose to teach him what gentle means. I would also give him one of his toys to chew on when he tried to bite and would say, "you can chew on this." When he licked me instead of biting, I also rewarded him by saying, "good dog," and sometimes gave him a treat. When my kids lab mix was going through this, they found it helpful to squirt her with a water bottle every time she tried to bite. Some people shake a can of pepples or pennies at the dog every time it attempts biting. Make sure that know one plays rough (wrestling, etc.) with your puppy. Guys tend to like play with dogs this way, but it sends mixed messages to a puppy so that it thinks it is okay to play with everyone like that and it encourages biting. Yesterday I was reading something in Reader's Digest about the Dog Whisperer. He says that when you dog is doing something undesirable. You should grab a little bit of skin at the scruff of the dogs neck and tug while telling the dog "no." This gets the dogs attention but doesn't hurt her. Also, tell your kids to try to be brave around the dog. When people are afraid around a dog, the dog gets afraid too, because it doesn't know what the person will do. I have seen this with my own dog. He growls at people who are strangers to him. If they are dog people, they ignore him and let him sniff them. He relaxes and soon is friends with them. If however they jump back, recoil, etc., he growls even more. Teach your kids to speak in a firm, calm voice when they tell your dog "no." If they speak in loud frantic voice, the puppy will not recognize them as being in charge. Good Luck and I hope this helps. In a year, all the time you spend training your pet now, will have paid off and you will have a great dog!