What will too many crating hours do to a puppy?

What will 8, sometimes 9 hours do to a puppy's personality in his crate if you dont have someone to let him out?

What will 8, sometimes 9 hours do to a puppy's personality in his crate if you dont have someone to let him out?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What will too many crating hours do to a puppy?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What will too many crating hours do to a puppy?

What will too many crating hours do to a puppy? Dogs Training Discussions
      What will 8, sometimes 9 hours do to a puppy's personality in his crate if you dont have someone to let him out?

What will too many crating hours do to a puppy? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Well, he'll be extremely energetic and badly behaved when he -is- out, and starved for human contact... No puppy should be left alone for that long.Well, not during the day, at least. 8 or 9 hours in a night is fine, as long as the dog's bladder is able to take it.

• i had to do this once or twice when my puppy was little, it just happens. The rule of thumb is their age in hours plus one. The thing i noticed is that my puppy was very very hyper once i got home. Also, it didn'thappen for mine, but it can cause bladder or kidney infections. You have to remember their bladders are tiny and if they can't empty it there is all that waste in their kidneys and bladder that needs to be emptied. I understand in life that sometimes we can't make it home every four hours, but i wouldn't do it consistantly. for the first few months i came home on my lunch, now my pup is 11 months old and i don't worry about it at all.

• Puppies, like children, are very different from one another. This puppy will be missing out on human interaction and the socialization that comes with it. 8 or 9 hours is too long to leave a young puppy crated. One of the advantages of using a crate is that dogs have an aversion to relieving themselves where they sleep. If you put a young pup in a crate for 8-9 hours it will almost certainly have to overcome that aversion and go in the crate, or, if it doesn't, you will have a puppy that's ready to POP when you get home. A much better alternative would be to hire a dog walker for an hour a day or take the pup to daycare.Personality problems that *can* develop: shyness, lack of bite inhibition, aggression, fear, hyperactivity. This is not an exhaustive list.Good luck with your puppy.