I have a new puppy and my older dog is terrified?

I have a new puppy and my older dog is terrified! The little one wants to play with her but she is scared. She's scared of everything anyways, plastic bags, noises, etc. Any advice? I have trying to sit with her and the puppy but she shakes and whimpers.

I have a new puppy and my older dog is terrified! The little one wants to play with her but she is scared. She's scared of everything anyways, plastic bags, noises, etc. Any advice? I have trying to sit with her and the puppy but she shakes and whimpers....
    Dogs Training Discussions : I have a new puppy and my older dog is terrified?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have a new puppy and my older dog is terrified?

I have a new puppy and my older dog is terrified? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have a new puppy and my older dog is terrified! The little one wants to play with her but she is scared. She's scared of everything anyways, plastic bags, noises, etc. Any advice? I have trying to sit with her and the puppy but she shakes and whimpers.

I have a new puppy and my older dog is terrified? Dogs Training Discussions
    • I just had this same problem, I just got a new puppy and my older dog was very scared also. It has taken about 3 weeks, and they are just starting to get used to each other. It will the puppy a little longer to start realizing that your older dog is scared, then the puppy will back off. Now my 2 dogs are playing together and jumping all over each other. I know its freezing where I live, but try and take the dogs out for a walk or to a field where they are both out of their comfort zone, offer them treats and show your older dog that it is ok.

• We're Shih Tzu breeders, and everytime we have a new litter, the older dogs are scared and the puppies want to play with them [or vice versa]. It's no biggie. We ended up keeping one of the puppies and eventually it grew on her and now they play. It's no big deal. Give it time, give them both love, and try convincing them to both play with the same toy, get down on the floor with them.

• The worst thing you can do for your older dog is to sit with her & comfort her. Your comforting (petting, soothing voice, "its OK") are all telling her that her behavior is OK. You are reinforcing her fear. Be an assertive pack leader & show the older dog that there is nothing to worry about because you are not worried. Your dogs can pick up on your energy & if they sense that you think something is wrong then they will take on that anxiety. You need to be calm & assertive. Give the older dog a place to go & get away from the puppy but do not isolate the two for long periods of time. Think of a wolf pack. When a female has pups the whole pack checks them out but the mother wolf keeps them all in line - including the puppies. She teaches the pups how to behave in the pack. Teach your pup to leave the older dog alone when commanded to do so.

• Is the puppy old enough to walk on a leash? Its amazing how dogs who walk together bond - every time I bring a rescue home, I put everyone on a leash, and the whole pack takes a walk together. Even when we start out with snarls and growls, by the time we get back from a long walk, everyone gets along.Plus, a tired puppy will be less likely to bug your older dog :o)