How do you clip a puppies toe nails?

5 month old puppy (female) thinks you are trying to cut her foot off with a rusty saw. She screams and crys and squirms it is impossible to hold her still. We are using human nail clippers because her nails are very tiny like cat claws.

5 month old puppy (female) thinks you are trying to cut her foot off with a rusty saw. She screams and crys and squirms it is impossible to hold her still. We are using human nail clippers because her nails are very tiny like cat claws....
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do you clip a puppies toe nails?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you clip a puppies toe nails?

How do you clip a puppies toe nails? Dogs Training Discussions
      5 month old puppy (female) thinks you are trying to cut her foot off with a rusty saw. She screams and crys and squirms it is impossible to hold her still. We are using human nail clippers because her nails are very tiny like cat claws.

How do you clip a puppies toe nails? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Be VERY careful when cutting nails on a dog if you go too far you are actually cutting flesh only cut of the very tip. Ask your vet to show you how worth the $$.

• You can buy animal clippers at wal mart, you only cut the white or sometimes yellow area of the nail if you cut into the pink it's flesh and they can actually bleed to death. the clippers work side to side with a little guard so that you make sure you don't go very far.

• There are clippers you can buy that are made to clip your puppies toe nails. Having tried to clip my pets toe nails, I found that the groomer knows more about doing this, has the right equipment and can do a lot better job than I. Worth ever penny to have the groomer do the trimming for us and a lot better for my dog.If you are going to do it yourself. don't talk to your puppie while trimming the toenails. This will help on the training and help her get over the fear.

• Don't use human nail clippers, they are much harder to use than dog nail clippers, you can pick these up at petsmart or walmart. At first just try a couple nails at a time to get her used to the clippers, and give her treats when she behaves. You start to trim just a little off at a time and then once you start to see a little bit of pink in the center of the nail, you know you are gettin close to blood, so stop and move on. If you do cut to deep, DON'T WORRY!!! She cannot bleed to dealth this way, just dab her paw in a little bit of baking flour and that helps the blood clot faster. The next time you go to the vet you can also just ask them, and they would probably be happy to show you.

• I have yet to be successful at this and my dog is almost a year old. I recommend one thing=dog groomer. They will typically charge you anywhere from $10-15 for nail clipping service. Trust me...its worth it!

• I have a 130 doberman pincher who use to be the same way. We would distract him with a treat and do one at a time, we did like one a day. And we left the clippers in his sight so that he wouldnt freak out every time he saw them. Then, after a while he got used to it.We adopted our dog and believe that the owners before us did it incorrectly and caused him pain so before you try this, id make certain that you are doing it correctly. He gets more cooperative every time.

• You can buy smaller pet nail clippers at the pet store. If your dogs nails are white you just clip till you get NEAR not on the pink fleshy area. If they are black hold your dog's paw up. Under the nail you can see a groove. This groove area is the part that you will cut off. Just cut very slow until you get the hang of it. After awhile you will become a pro. (i don't have to look anymore I can just feel where to stop) make sure that you have a bottle of quick stop on hand in case you clip too short. My guess is that your puppy had this happen in the past and that is why she freaks out.

• I have always used the dog or cat clippers on my dog. I wait until he is sleeping and then do them! He moves less and it makes it easier. Also i don't use the clippers with the little hole in them mine are almost like scissors. I love them!