How do I handle a new puppy who requires constant attention?

I just got a new dachshund puppy named Lilly and she is 7 weeks old. I knew she would require a considerable amount of attention when I got her but I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. She requires constant supervision and I do mean…

I just got a new dachshund puppy named Lilly and she is 7 weeks old. I knew she would require a considerable amount of attention when I got her but I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. She requires constant supervision and I do mean…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do I handle a new puppy who requires constant attention?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I handle a new puppy who requires constant attention?

How do I handle a new puppy who requires constant attention? Dogs Training Discussions
      I just got a new dachshund puppy named Lilly and she is 7 weeks old. I knew she would require a considerable amount of attention when I got her but I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. She requires constant supervision and I do mean constant! If I try to put her up she crys loud and for really really long periods of time. I'm just not sure what to do to help her and myself.I am a 23 year old law student... old enough to have a puppy. I only have to be gone on a regular basis for about 4 hours a day. I have plenty of time and love to give my puppy, I just need her to stop crying all the time becase, being a law student, I do need to do alot of reading.

How do I handle a new puppy who requires constant attention? Dogs Training Discussions
    • get a play pen, line the bottom with paper, tape cardboard to the sides so she doesnt get her claws stuck in the mesh...put her dog bed in the play pen..and when you need some quiet time or need to go out...put it in the bathroom and put her in it..shell be fine in it

• You need to break that cycle of her whining and you coming running.We got a border collie puppy that did the same thing,now she doesn't only after a few short days of ignoring the whining.She is only 14 weeks old. What I did was if she whimpered and whined I completely ignored her whining and only paid attention when it stopped. She would whine whenever we left the room,even when we came back in she seemed to do it ALL the TIME. She learned quick that we would not aknowledge her when she whined. Of course there are times when they really do need something,eg. food,potty time....But if you know it's not from a genuine need ignore it. When you pay her the attention you are comfirming her fears and down the road you will have a dog with anxiety.

• How old are you??? Of course she requires a lot of attantion--she a BABY!!! She needs to be held and cuddled and reassured. Imagine being ripped from safe warm surroundings and mother's warm breast into a cold hard world! No brothers or sisters to wrestle with. :( She is probably terrified and now YOU are her only link to security! She depends on you to teach her how to eat and go potty and learn her manners. EVERYTHING! A 7 week old puppy is a full time job and if you don't have the time or the patience please PLEASE find someone who does!

• You'll get used to it. She is away from her mom for the first time, and probably very scared. Over time, she will get independent, and will become a part of the family. I have two dogs, and I love them dearly. "Happiness is having a dog"!

• A big part of the problem is the fact that she should still be with her mommy and not in a home yet. She still has things to learn from mom and would do better learning them than trying to figure out what you are trying to teach her. So if she can't go back w/ mom, then you'll have to give her nearly constant attention / supervision. Start her house training, don't suck her up when she cries, and play with her, start now teaching her not to nip and jump up and everything else you wouldn't want a puppy to do.

• Do you have a crate for the dog? It often helps to make it as comfortable as possible. Put a nice cozy blanket in it as well as a clock that you can hear tick. The dog hears it as its mom's heartbeat which relaxes the dog. Try that first and see what happens.

• I'm going through the same thing right now with my new puppy. First, remember she is scared, she's away from her mom and other pups for the first time, so you are her litter. It's important that for the next few weeks at least until she's about 10 weeks old that you comfort her and reassure her. Otherwise you could wind up with a dog that is scared as an adult. A real life saver can be to purchase an "exercise pen" and set it up in a central part of your home, this way she can see you and won't have so much anxiety. Some puppies have more anxiety to change than others. Other suggestions, a hot water bottle wrapped so that she can't chew on it (this simulates a litter-mate), also a small clock that ticks (simulating the mothers heartbeat). She will get over this, just keep at it! Good luck!

• Most puppies are like newborn children. They require tons of attention and constant care. And on top of all of that the dachshund breed requires attention throughout their entire life

• You need to stop giving her the attention when she cries because that just encourages the behavior and she'll learn that she can get you to give her attention whenever she wants it. I went through this with my dog a few years ago and it took a few days until he stopped.

• pups do require alot of attention. They are just like littlebabies. Crate your dog, put it in a cage that is only bigenough for it to turn around in. This will serve as a placefor the dog to sleep, a place to put him when you don't wanthim getting into anything, and also a teaching tool. Your dogwon't pee or poop where he sleeps so that's why the cageshould be small.There are bones you can buy that you can put treats in.Buy some of those and he will be interested in them. Alsosome stuffed animals, they like those and remember youpup needs routine in it's life. Try to feed him at a certain time, play with him after he eats and let him run aroundfor awhile and than put him in his cage. Pups need to getalot of rest and establishing a routine will help you and yourpup. He will know what to expect and you can get somesleep.