Alpha male boy kitty meeting new dog for first time - what to expect?

I have an alpha male cat who has a "sister" - they have been together for 5 years. I had the boy cat first and then got the girl cat as a kitten about 4 months later. The boy is older - 9 and likes his happy existence just with his younger sister. MY…

I have an alpha male cat who has a "sister" - they have been together for 5 years. I had the boy cat first and then got the girl cat as a kitten about 4 months later. The boy is older - 9 and likes his happy existence just with his younger sister. MY…...
    General Dog Discussions : Alpha male boy kitty meeting new dog for first time - what to expect?...

• Alpha male boy kitty meeting new dog for first time - what to expect?

Alpha male boy kitty meeting new dog for first time - what to expect? General Dog Discussions
      I have an alpha male cat who has a "sister" - they have been together for 5 years. I had the boy cat first and then got the girl cat as a kitten about 4 months later. The boy is older - 9 and likes his happy existence just with his younger sister. MY husband and I are going to get a dog - not sure what kind yet - puppy, adult, male, female, medium sized, large, etc. My questions are - does anyone have any advice re: the dog we do select? Obviously, we will do our best to get one that has a history with cats (if possible). I had been thinking that a female might be better since the boy already has tendencies. EX - when I first starting dating my husband, the boy kitty started spraying everything. He's over it now, and does not do it anymore, but I am paranoid that another pet may push him over the kitty edge. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on their first meeting, I would appreciate it (ex - keep the dog in the crate and let the cats explore, etc.).

Alpha male boy kitty meeting new dog for first time - what to expect? General Dog Discussions
    • Your best bet is to get the dog at a local shelter or the humane society. That way they will have the dogs history, to make sure they are compatible with cats. When you bring your puppy home, your male cat will not be happy at all. A puppy is very curious all will probably try to analyze your cats, some cats become very uncomfortable with being sniffed and might scratch your puppy [the dogs with the previous cat history will not attack. They will keep trying to find out what that fur ball running around is or they will give up and back off] Since you say your cat is a jealouse type... your cat might act naughty for a while. Best way to introduce them is through a door at first put a towel under the door so the cat wont get scared when he sees paws but let them hear each other and then later on let them see each other, and then interact... i know it sounds like a lot but i hope it helps. Try keeping a spray bottle around just in case your cat misbehaves. Good luck!

• Well, this will be an adventure. Has your cat had any bad experiences with dogs? If so He may not like dogs. This can be overcome but takes time. The reason that cats and dogs don't get along is the cats fault usually. They hiss, scratch etc. This gets the dog going and well, you know. USUALLY, it is best to introduce a baby kitty, to an older dog that has not had a bad experience with cats. If your cat does not know what a dog is, and you get a dog that doesn't care about cats one way or the other you shouldn't have too hard of a time. They of course will have some adjustments to make. But it should turn out ok. Puppies usually don't know about cats so... If you got a puppy and you brought it home, your male cat would not be intimidated by it. It's a puppy poses no threat, it smells funny but ok, just don't bother me. The puppy may want to see what the heck that funny looking thing is. But because he is a puppy, you have more control over him and can keep him from jumping on or grabbing or bothering the cat. So I would lean toward a puppy. Bring the puppy home, get him settled, and when your cat seems interested, hold on to the puppy and let the cat sniff him. The cat will most likely hiss. Tell him no in a nice way and let him know that you want him to be nice to the puppy. As most cats are, he will probably become indignant and and walk away thinking you have lost your mind And yes because he seems to be very territorial, he will begin to mark territory again. He will eventually stop again as before. Don't let the puppy accidentally hurt the cat or visa versa. Once Your cat realizes the the puppy doesn't pose any threat he will except him. As long as neither one hurts the other to cause bad feelings. And they may even become buddies. I've seen it happen.Good luck to ya