which is a better guard dog, a female or a male dog?

i am planning to have a guard dog since the incidence of unwanted intruders are prevalence in my are especially the snatchers. i am choosing either a belgian malinois or a german shepherd, which one is best guard dog?a female or male dog? and why?thank…

which is a better guard dog, a female or a male dog?

i am planning to have a guard dog since the incidence of unwanted intruders are prevalence in my are especially the snatchers. i am choosing either a belgian malinois or a german shepherd, which one is best guard dog?a female or male dog? and why?thank…...
    General Dog Discussions : which is a better guard dog, a female or a male dog?...

• I have a Japanese Akita Dog. I was told when I purchased him as a puppy that the bitc. Mother dog was actually more protective of the home and more likely to stop an intruder. I went and saw both the parents. I firmly believed that the sheer size of the male dogs would be enough to stop would be intruders to I purchased a puppy dog and not bitc. Having owned an Akita for sixteen months now I would agree that a female Akita is more protective of the home than a male. This has come through speaking to other Akita owners and watching my Akita. He has defended me twice in the woods but also has messed up twice. He does bark at certain things and people but is inconstent at best. He is massive though and I would certainly not break into my home ( just in case ) So I guess he is doing the job. Also Akita's are known for there natural aggression and protective abilities. I truly believe that a female Akita would be more protective and will be getting one next year. Then I will have both in my house. So to answer your question - I believe in the case of Akita's that the bitc. is better. However the males size is more than enough to scare the crap out of most people.

• I have a Belgian Malinois and she is very protective; but, you would never know it to see her around us. She is very, very, obedient, despite being somewhat stubborn. They are used a lot for guard dogs. They use them to patrol the Texas border because they supposedly like to bite, especially the males. But, remember to get the dog trained. Mine challenged me when I first got her, trying to intimidate me and take control. She is an alpha-female. So, I suspect that they can be somewhat dangerous. She loves me very much and stopped that nonsense after I threw her down to the ground and held her down with my hands around her neck a couple of times. She was still around a year old when I did this. I also spent time afterwards massaging her and speaking softly in her ear. If she had been older, I probably would not have gotten away with it. The other thing is they are thinking dogs. So, as they experience things, they learn to think their way around a situation which could be dangerous if they are not properly trained. For instance, she has unlocked doors and gates, and once carried her food bowl into the bedroom with her so she could be close to my husband who was sick and still eat. (I am not lying.) I would not have any other dog unless I also had one of these. I never met a smarter more human like dog and I have been around quite a few of them. My husband's boss had two males and had to shoot them to get them off of a neighbor kid that wandered in their yard. So, be careful when choosing the dog.They are pretty scary to most people who think they are a wolf or a coyote. They are not that common. So, folks look at them and don't know what they are. Mine has very intelligent eyes that make her look like a wild wolf or something. So, even though she only tries to bite folks she doesn't like for some reason or those she senses I don't like, she looks very dangerous. She has never bitten anyone as, she wants to please me and will stop when I say "No!" But, you have to get to know the dog and let the dog get to know you. Don't get one unless you have time to spend with it. Also, they don't bark that much and you can't tell they are going to go after someone unless you know them well enough to see it in their eyes. Mine will also smile before she does it, but will not growl or bark prior to going after someone. She just makes her move. My border collie will put on all kinds of noise before he goes after someone. My belgian malinois just smiles and shoots out afer the person, or animal. The two of them make me feel quite safe.

• Golden retrievers are not guard dogs. They don't have a purpose. Goldies are the typical american family dog, which actually doesn't do anything.I would go with the doberman as well. You must have seen movies with dobermans as gurd dogs, and you must see the scariness in them. They are also more athletic than rotweillers, and can run faster. A friend of mine has a doberman which guards the house like its own ears. I must mention that the dog was not trained for this purpose. It just does it by instinct.

• I'd say, German Shepherd. A male dog it is, I'd call a best guard dog 'cause well, they have a natural protective instinct as a mother (if they have puppies) and well, because of their guard-type bloodline. Well, male i can say, next to female. Girl Power is dominant these days, even in canines. hehe

• well it actually doesnt matter what gender cuz i had a female dog and she was a good gaurd dog we would notice the difference in her voice when she barks she barks more viciously when there is a animal or person around that shouldnt be and u just teach them or somtimes they just grow up and they are like that even if u dont teach them...hope this helped =]]

• Ok, first of all, German Shepherds are very loyal, very protective, and very easy to train. So is a Malinois, however, Malinois are very hyper and need a very strong hand to control them. I would recommend a German Shepherd, Mastiff or even Rottie before I would recommend a Malinois. As for sex, it doesn't matter. It also doesn;'t matter if you get the dog altered, though I would highly recommend it. What does matter is that the dog is mature. You can not get a 6 month old, or even a 1 yr old and get the protection out of it. 18 months or older is what you really want to get. I would suggest a male and only because they are larger. Police and military in the past have always used males, you rarely find females as K-9s. The best part about a German Shepherd is they look the part and that is often enough to warn of intruders. Many people don't know Malinois so they may go ahead and test them.