In your opinion, Black Russian Terrier or South African Boerboel?

Experienced Dominant Breed Owner and Handler.... looking for a dominant breed capable of guarding, sentry, but also good with children and my 3 small cats....So, Opinion Poll... Black Russian Terrier OR South African Boerboel.Have done extensive research…

Experienced Dominant Breed Owner and Handler.... looking for a dominant breed capable of guarding, sentry, but also good with children and my 3 small cats....So, Opinion Poll... Black Russian Terrier OR South African Boerboel.Have done extensive research…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : In your opinion, Black Russian Terrier or South African Boerboel?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• In your opinion, Black Russian Terrier or South African Boerboel?

In your opinion, Black Russian Terrier or South African Boerboel? Dog Breed Discussions
      Experienced Dominant Breed Owner and Handler.... looking for a dominant breed capable of guarding, sentry, but also good with children and my 3 small cats....So, Opinion Poll... Black Russian Terrier OR South African Boerboel.Have done extensive research on both breeds and both are what I am looking for... comes down to Food Bills, Grooming, and which breed is better suited for New England winters. Thanks! eithne m- I know! Im thinking about it, but I think my gf would have a heart attack if I got 1 of each. haha, thats easily over 300lbs of dog to walk, feed, vet, etc. hahap

In your opinion, Black Russian Terrier or South African Boerboel? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Both gorgeous breeds, very tough decision. Going strictly by were they were developed, I would go with the Black Russian Terrier. I think they would have a better time with the cold, but that's just my opinion. I don't envy you, I'd want both! Good luck.

• I have a boerboel, and if you think you can handle an incredibly independent, stubborn dog with ungodly strength, then go for it. But I don't recommend the breed. My Max is as stubborn as a mule and strong as an ox. Not to mention they require a huge fenced yard. Don't even try to walk them. Your shoulder and back would never forgive you.I don't know much about a Black Russian Terrier, but that's my take on a boerboel.

• Probably going to have an easier time finding a Boerboel at this point. Most Russian breeds are still pretty hard to come by in this country and you have to be careful the quality of the stock you'll be dealing with. A breed so young to this country is harder to tell if you are getting a quality animal. Boers are becoming the new designer tough guy dog but to the best of my knowledge have not been ruined by backyard breeders in this country yet. Both breeds are likely to have high prey drive which means they are going to be a tough sell on the cats but I bet your cats can hold their own, I heard they chased off an English Mastiff before.BRT has that schnauzer coat which you have to pluck so its a lot of grooming to keep up with. If its a breed that can tolerate a N.E. winter you could look into another Russian breed, the Caucasian Ovtcharka or maybe even the Kangal. TGood luck and stay out of the Goya aisle!