which is better an english mastiff or a south african boerboel and why?

which is better an english mastiff or a south african boerboel and why?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : which is better an english mastiff or a south african boerboel and why?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• which is better an english mastiff or a south african boerboel and why?

which is better an english mastiff or a south african boerboel and why? Dog Breed Discussions

which is better an english mastiff or a south african boerboel and why? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I've known a few mastiffs and they are such darlings. They look terrifying but they can be trained to be the biggest baby in the house.It is wise to get the upper hand while they are still pups, as early as possible. As pups they are really laid back unless you play-fight with them.As adults they are huge and you need to have them absolutely obey you very early on.With kindness and understanding and consistency and knowledge.I know nothing about the other dog.(some Mastiffs can be 300 pounds!!!)

• I know their energy level is a big difference. EM's will lounge around and are content as long as they're with you. I believe SAB's are more independent and have higher energy levels. SAB's need more exercise as EM's will enjoy a walk or light exercise, but nothing too stenuous.

• That depends on what you want.English Mastiffs typically have more laid-back guarding instincts than African Boerboels. ABs are more assertive about guarding the home. They tend to be more wary and reserved with all strangers. The EM tends to be more friendly toward strangers you accept.ABs tend to strive more for dominance than EMs. While both require firm leaders, the AB requires a 110% calm, firm, assertive leader. It is in their nature to try to be "top dog."EMs are typically way, way more mellow than ABs. Most EMs require relatively little exercise; they need a good hour of exercise over the day, then they're couch potatoes indoors. ABs are more active working dogs. They require more stimulation and need to be worked considerably harder.ABs are typically more confident and independent than EMs. EMs are often "velcro dogs" who NEED to be with their family. ABs are a bit more indifferent and independent.In my case, the EM is better. I like big, lazy and mellow. Maybe you want a dog with an "edge." I don't know, I don't know you.