I am seriously considering a South African Boerboel... need input?

Have done my research, and I know that it is a very dominant breed which requires a firm handler.. I am up for that challenge. The only thing that hasn't completely sold me yet is the fact that Boerboels need almost constant companionship... I obviously…

Have done my research, and I know that it is a very dominant breed which requires a firm handler.. I am up for that challenge. The only thing that hasn't completely sold me yet is the fact that Boerboels need almost constant companionship... I obviously…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : I am seriously considering a South African Boerboel... need input?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I am seriously considering a South African Boerboel... need input?

I am seriously considering a South African Boerboel... need input? Dog Breed Discussions
      Have done my research, and I know that it is a very dominant breed which requires a firm handler.. I am up for that challenge. The only thing that hasn't completely sold me yet is the fact that Boerboels need almost constant companionship... I obviously will give it all the time in the world when I get home from work, and on weekends.. but I do work a 9-5 job 5 days per week... do you think it would be ok alone if properly crated as a pup and properly exercised after work and on weekends?Serious input from Molosser owners and dog experts please!

I am seriously considering a South African Boerboel... need input? Dog Breed Discussions
    • well innitially I wouldn't recomend one if you work durring the day, but if you do ctare train it and exersize it and stuff I don't see a problem, you must always make sure though that you are more dominate and right from the bat make sure he understands your leader

• As a Mastiff owner, I seriously discourage you from getting one of these guys if you have a full time job and like your furniture. Molosser breeds, Boerboels included, tend to suffer from acute separation anxiety and generally exhibit that by destroying your furniture, chasing any other animals you may have around, and some do a lot of barking. To give you an example: I was going on a week-long trip to Massachusetts, where I am moving, to do some house-scouting. I didn't want my Mastiff, small mixed breed, and cats left alone; so I had a relative of mine and my best friend coming over every day to check on them and the relative staying at my house. They were telling me that everything was fine, but it ends up my best friend couldn't get away from work and thus didn't end up coming over, and my relative, while he did spend time with them, feed them and whatnot, only gave them a few hours per day and slept in the same area with them. By the time I got back, my mastiff had caused 40,420 dollars in damage in my house. And no, I am not exaggerating. She destroyed my four-poster bed, my computer, my scanner, several priceless statues, two of my couches, my TV, three tiffany lamps, countless DVDs and books, just to name a few of the items. Molosser breeds are also routinely destructive, so even if you commit to walking them two hours a day; you can anticipate coming home to 'small' damages, such as destroyed pillows, dog beds, remote controls, etc. (I also worked a 9-5 shift when my dog was doing this, she only quit after I found a job I could work from home)They honestly need to be in a household where one person stays home most of the time. They need human companionship, to be able to go places with their owners every day, long, long walks, and lots of physical activity. A big fenced yard is also a must. If you can provide that, then it is a wonderful dog to have as a part of your family. But otherwise they can be a complete terror in your home. Please carefully consider getting a Boerboel, and if you decide to proceed, do so only if you can make some lifestyle changes or at least can have someone stay with your dog while you are gone. Good luck.

• Well i wouldnt reccomend this breed to you if you work 9 to 5 a day . Boerboels and Mastiff breeds tend to have seperation anixiety since they are dedicated and need companionship so keep in mind . BoerBoels are not reccomended for apartment life . And they need a LARGE FENCED IN YARD for them to run in and they they should NEVER be left alone to run because they are protective and sometimes do not take well to strangers .