Exercises for a dog that isn't hard on the joints?

I'll be getting an African Boerboel puppy in the Spring and I was wondering what kind of exercises aren't hard on joints. They're big dogs and take awhile to grow and I want to make sure her joints develop properly as recommended by most sites. I want a…

I'll be getting an African Boerboel puppy in the Spring and I was wondering what kind of exercises aren't hard on joints. They're big dogs and take awhile to grow and I want to make sure her joints develop properly as recommended by most sites. I want a…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Exercises for a dog that isn't hard on the joints?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Exercises for a dog that isn't hard on the joints?

Exercises for a dog that isn't hard on the joints? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'll be getting an African Boerboel puppy in the Spring and I was wondering what kind of exercises aren't hard on joints. They're big dogs and take awhile to grow and I want to make sure her joints develop properly as recommended by most sites. I want a way to burn off energy but not risk anything. I also heard that jogging a lot isn't recommended. Kinda limits things huh?So my questions are: What exercise falls under this category?Would swimming be alright?Bonus question: How's the name Kai for a female? I like it. Any suggestions?Just realized the typo in my question title! Lol. Exercise for a dog that isn't hard on joints!

Exercises for a dog that isn't hard on the joints? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Swimming is a PERFECT exercise and is not hard on the joints. Actually, dogs who are recovering from joint/elbow surgery swim for exercise since they cannot take long walks or runs. Too much pressure on the joints causes hip dysplasia. So swimming it is! I like the name Kai for a female dog. It's kind of got a unique chinese sound to it. It's pretty! :)Good Luck with your African Boerboel! :)

• Swimming is great exercies. Walking is fine, you just don't overdo it before the dog's 18 months old. Free running, not jogging, just the dog running for fun, is fine, too.Also, don't let her get overweight and do NOT feed puppy food because you don't want her growing too quickly.As to a name, names are personal and I think people need to pick a name they like that suits their dog.

• There are joint treats for dogs. My Golden Labrador Retriever is 9 years old and we noticed he was having problems with his joints. So, we decided to try Pedigree Joint Care treats. You can notice the difference in around 1 week. But Swimming is also a very good exercise for dogs, but if its a younger dog, make sure it can swim before releasing it into the sea.