When do I give a dog its first bath?

I'm getting my puppy in 3 weeks (he'll be 8 weeks old), and will buy pet wipes in case his paws get dirty, or anything gets on his fur. When do you typically bathe a dog for the first time (with pet shampoo of course)? He's an Airedale Terrier, so when…

I'm getting my puppy in 3 weeks (he'll be 8 weeks old), and will buy pet wipes in case his paws get dirty, or anything gets on his fur. When do you typically bathe a dog for the first time (with pet shampoo of course)? He's an Airedale Terrier, so when…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : When do I give a dog its first bath?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• When do I give a dog its first bath?

When do I give a dog its first bath? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm getting my puppy in 3 weeks (he'll be 8 weeks old), and will buy pet wipes in case his paws get dirty, or anything gets on his fur. When do you typically bathe a dog for the first time (with pet shampoo of course)? He's an Airedale Terrier, so when will I need to strip his fur for the first time too?

When do I give a dog its first bath? Dog Breed Discussions
    • This depends on if he has been altered before you get him. If he has stitches from surgical neutering, you may have a wait a few days before you can bathe him. If he's unaltered, or it was a laser surgery, you can bathe him any time you want - making sure to try not to bathe him more than every 2 weeks. Most dogs don't need baths that often, any more frequently than 2 weeks, and it eliminates oils in their skin that protect their skin, and are part of their immune system.