Should i get a rough collie or a smooth collie puppy?

I currently have a 4 month old male Airedale/Irish terrier mix and am looking into getting another puppy preferably a collie. My question is what are the pros and cons of both? I know that rough collies require more grooming and probably shed more but…

I currently have a 4 month old male Airedale/Irish terrier mix and am looking into getting another puppy preferably a collie. My question is what are the pros and cons of both? I know that rough collies require more grooming and probably shed more but…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Should i get a rough collie or a smooth collie puppy?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Should i get a rough collie or a smooth collie puppy?

Should i get a rough collie or a smooth collie puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      I currently have a 4 month old male Airedale/Irish terrier mix and am looking into getting another puppy preferably a collie. My question is what are the pros and cons of both? I know that rough collies require more grooming and probably shed more but what else?Thanks!

Should i get a rough collie or a smooth collie puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Dogs with longer fur do not necessarily shed more. In fact, breeds like Labs tend to be the worst offenders.Besides the texture and length of coat, there isn't a difference between the rough and smooth varieties. Rough Collies need a hard, thorough weekly brushing. Smooth Collies need to be brushed every week or two. The amount of maintenance is quite comparable for the two. If neglected, rough Collies can develop mats in their fur that may need to be clipped. Other than that, it's really just personal preference which coat you like.

• They are basically the same type of dog apart from the coat type so nothing about their behaviour would really be different from each other and they'd need as much exercise as any type of collie.For more information on both breeds you could check this website!! http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/collie.htmAnd I'd get a rough collie if I could because ever since I was little, my favourite film was: Lassie. Always :) I'd name my Rough Collie Lassie too if I could!! (I know it's a little over the top but I love Lassie and Rough Collies) Good Luck!!

• I think it will depend more or less just on the grooming aspect as I think there characters are the same besides coat length. I have a rough collie and I have to say she is gorgeous. She looks so proud sitting down with her main! She doesn't shed very much but when you get combing her you end up with another small dog worth of fur!