What is a good medium sized dog that is friendly and a good companion?

Hi, i've recently thought about getting a dog and i've had a look around but can't seem to find the information i'm looking for. I'm looking for a medium sized dog because i live in a unit, i'm interested in a loyal and friendly dog who likes to relax.…

Hi, i've recently thought about getting a dog and i've had a look around but can't seem to find the information i'm looking for. I'm looking for a medium sized dog because i live in a unit, i'm interested in a loyal and friendly dog who likes to relax.…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What is a good medium sized dog that is friendly and a good companion?...

• What is a good medium sized dog that is friendly and a good companion?

What is a good medium sized dog that is friendly and a good companion? Dogs Training Discussions
      Hi, i've recently thought about getting a dog and i've had a look around but can't seem to find the information i'm looking for. I'm looking for a medium sized dog because i live in a unit, i'm interested in a loyal and friendly dog who likes to relax. No terriers or small dogs! Thanks for the help :D

What is a good medium sized dog that is friendly and a good companion? Dogs Training Discussions
    • You need to think about how much space you will have to exercise a 'medium sized dog' if you live in a restricted environment, most medium dogs need a lot of exercise and time and you need to be able to commit to that. If you are unsure then why not visit a re-homing centre and speak to the staff about a slightly older dog who will perhaps like to rest than run wild. If it is loyalty you are after then you wont beat a Labrador, collie, springer or a mixed breed, although most dogs will be loyal with the right amount of love and attention.

• 25 to 50 poundsAmerican Eskimo Dog 6-40lbsBred solely to be companions, the American Eskimo Dog thrives on being part of the family. This charming and playful breed is excellent with children, and loves to be lavished with attention. They are suspicious and wary of strangers and make good guardians of their family and home. They love to bark and will sound the alarm whenever they deem it necessary. This breed does not do well if left alone for extended periods of time or if they are isolated, as they will engage in destructive activities.This breed must have regular daily exercise. They enjoy securely leashed walks or playing in an enclosed yard. The American Eskimo Dog is active indoors and has a busy nature. They benefit immensely from family play sessions. They will do okay in an apartment provided they are sufficiently exercised and paid attention to.American Water Spaniel 25-45lbsThis breed is loyal, energetic, obedient, and persistent. They are generally gentle with children and other pets. They may become aggressive with dogs they do not know. The American Water Spaniel is an ideal family pet. If they are properly introduced they are friendly with strangers. They may become attached to one particular person within the family unit. They are an excellent watchdog, and have a tendency to bark excessively. Many American Water Spaniel' will "yodel" when excited. They love attention, but are fully capable of creating their own entertainment.American Water Spaniels require an inordinate amount of physical exercise, and enjoys swimming and hunting. They have a tendency to roam, so daily jogging or walking must be done with the American Water Spaniel securely leashed. They benefit from play sessions such as Frisbee or a game of "fetch". The American Water Spaniel will do okay in an apartment provided they are given sufficient exercise and a securely fenced yard is available. They prefer a home in the country setting with room to run.Beagle 18-30lbsBecause beagles are scent hounds, they can be roamers, an escape-proof fenced yard is a must have with a beagle. Fences should be high enough (4 feet or higher) to prevent climbing and secured at the base to prevent digging out. Gates should have good latches and be child-proof, preferably locked. However, not all beagles are climbers or diggers. This usually happens if they are just left outside without any kind of attention from the family or other dogs. Beagles need companionship and daily exercise. Prone to barking and howling when bored and with there active nature, Beagles do not make good apartment dogs.Boston Terrier-despite this dog name it is not actually a terrier-it actually a member of the Non-Sporting dogs.Highly intelligent, alert, and enthusiastic, the Boston Terrier is affectionate and loyal. This breed is quite animated and has a lovely sense of humor. They thrive on human interaction and on being an integral part of the family. They do best in a home with children over the age of eight years and are exceedingly good with the elderly. They will generally get along with non-canine pets, although males may fight with other dogs. The Boston Terrier has a very sensitive nature and will be affected either positively or negatively by tone of voice or the home atmosphere and environment.Relatively inactive indoors, the Boston Terrier is quite content to just be with the family at all times. However, regular daily exercise is a must to keep this breed fit and in shape. They benefit from and enjoy securely leashed walks, family play sessions, and free play in a safely fenced area. Boston Terriers do well in an apartment, condominium, or city dwelling provided they are given sufficient exercise, attention, and stimulation.Boykin Spaniel 25-40lbsThe Boykin Spaniel is amicable, loyal, devoted, and docile. The Boykin Spaniel is an enthusiastic hunter, pleasant companion, and willing worker. They thrive on human contact and get along exceptionally well with children and other pets.The Boykin Spaniel is not recommended for apartment living. They require daily exercise and mental stimulation or they will become bored and destructive. This breed is exceedingly driven and energetic and do best in a rural setting. They thrive on hunting, swimming, and family activity.Briquet Griffon Vendéen 35-50lbsThis breed is jovial, fun-loving, and playful. They are also unruly and independent. The Briquet Griffon Vendeen does best in a home with older considerate children. They will typically do well with dogs and other household pets they have been raised with. Briquet Griffon Vendeen's are devoted, hard-working, and dependable.The Briquet Griffon Vendeen breed is not recommended for city or apartment living. They require an inordinate amount of physical exercise and mental stimulation. The Briquet Griffon Vendeen does best in a rural setting with ample room to roam and hunt.Brittany Spaniel 30-40lbsHappy and alert, this breed has a great presence. Easy to handle, and affectionate, this breed would make an ideal house pet if given the right care and exercise to keep him happy. This breed requires a gentle, yet somewhat firm hand, as they can be hyperactive.A medium sized yard is a must for this rambunctious breed. This breed has plenty of stamina to keep you on your toes and does require regular exercise. Would do best in a home with at least a medium sized yard, and an active owner.Carolina Dog 30-44This is not a completely domesticated canine and is not recommended for inexperienced or first time owners. The Carolina Dog is suspicious and shy of strangers. They bond to their human "pack" and have a "pack" hierarchy. They do best with older, considerate children or with children they have been raised with. They may not tolerate strange children. Carolina Dog's typically do well with dogs, cats, or other household pets they have been raised with or properly introduced to.The Carolina Dog is not suited for apartment or city living. They do best in a rural setting with a large yard to romp and run. Yards must be securely enclosed. Fencing must be buried into the ground to prevent escape through digging and capped at the top to prevent climbing over.Chinese Foo Dog 10-51lbs+The Chinese Foo is not recommended for first time dog owners. This breed is friendly, devoted, and courageous. They are mild-mannered and docile, yet assertive when necessary. They are suspicious of strangers and will defend their family, property, and territory when threatened. Chinese Foo's are family oriented and thrive on attention and interaction. They do well with children, dogs, and other household pets they have been raised with.The Chinese Foo breed will do well in a city or apartment environment provided they are sufficiently exercised and mentally stimulated. They do best with a securely fenced yard or safe rural setting where they are able to play off-lead.Cirneco dell Etna 18-30lbsThe Cirneco dell Etna breed is not recommended for inexperienced or first time dog owners. The Cirneco dell Etna possesses a strong, independent personality. They are affectionate, loyal, and lively companions. They do well with children and other pets they have been raised with from puppyhood. However, they are reserved and aloof with strangers and pets they do not know. They are exceedingly alert and watchful, but are not typically aggressive.Cirneco dell Etna's require an inordinate amount of physical exercise and mental stimulation. They are not recommended for city or apartment living. The Cirneco dell Etna does best in a rural setting where there is ample acreage to roam, hunt, run, and play.American Cocker Spaniel 24-28lbsCocker Spaniels are beautiful dogs that can get along well with older children and animals providing they do not pester. A very cheerful dog, this breed loves to play and sometimes enjoys barking. This very gentle breed can become somewhat of a tyrant if not given the proper attention or socialization.The Cocker Spaniel is recommended for a home with at least a small yard, but can do well in an apartment if they receive the proper exercise. This is a fairly active breed and does require 3 walks per day, unless able to roam free in a fenced back yard for exercise.Dachshund 11-32lbsThe Dachshund is a fun loving dog, tenacious, and lively, but can become jealous and be very irritable. This breed does not do well with smaller children, but can do very well with older and more considerate children. Due to his small size and tiny legs, this breed should not be placed in a home with larger dogs unless they were raised around each other. The Dachshund has the tendency to become jealous, however can do very well with many other toy breeds in the home providing they are not snippy.The Dachshund can be lively and vivacious, however he does not need much exercise. A short walk per day would suffice for this short-bodied breed. The Dachshund tends to tire out easily so any exercise provided should be given at different times rather than one long walk. This breed is prone to back problems so high jumping and/or running should never be allowed.

• Pixie, list your source and don't Cut & Paste. Her Source(s): http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090225004542AAVRpDthttp://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081225040002AAtBw6nOMG she ACTUALLY lists her source in this answer: http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081225040002AAtBw6nAnywho, mongrels are pretty good from shelters. I know some Labs tend to be Lazy, but need a lot of exercise.

• A dog from a shelter.You can call them, email them or go down to your local shelter and list the qualities you want in a dog and they might have one with the perfect personality for you. In my experience, shelter dogs are the most loyal and affectionate; grateful for having a home.

• Well, there's a lot of other variables to think about when getting a new dog that's perfect for you. There are a few quizzes online that ask you questions about your lifestyle and give you a few results that fit your situation. Here's one that just asks you about the kind of dog YOU want: http://www.doggiedealer.com/dog_breed_selector.php But, based on what you've said, I'll tell you about a few dogs. Now in the medium range, there's a cocker spaniel. They are very pretty and sweet, good with people and kids. They do okay in small living conditions, but be sure to take them on walks and give them some exercise. There are also poodles who do alright in small houses or apartments, but tend to need a little more exercise. You'll have to take them on plenty of walks and a trip to the lake now and then. They can get a little hyper, though, and many of them bark often, but do good with strangers, kids, and usually okay with other dogs. A larger breed, though fairly inactive indoors, is the weimaraner. They are about the size of a lab, and can be lazy indoors, but will need sufficient walks and do best with a decent sized yard. A medium, fun, and beautiful dog that's been shown to do well in apartments is the Shetland Sheepdog (sheltie). They are fairly inactive indoors, but do need walks and playtime. They're loyal and sweet dogs and are very popular.Good luck with your dog search, and try going to your local humane society, or rescue shelter and asking them what they recommend.