What type of dog should I get for my family?

My husband loves hound dogs but we don't have a large area for one to play in. I have two boys 5, and 1.5 that would love a pet dog. Our house isn't that big. Also would a femal dog be better of a male dog?

My husband loves hound dogs but we don't have a large area for one to play in. I have two boys 5, and 1.5 that would love a pet dog. Our house isn't that big. Also would a femal dog be better of a male dog?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What type of dog should I get for my family?...

• What type of dog should I get for my family?

What type of dog should I get for my family? Dogs Training Discussions
      My husband loves hound dogs but we don't have a large area for one to play in. I have two boys 5, and 1.5 that would love a pet dog. Our house isn't that big. Also would a femal dog be better of a male dog?

What type of dog should I get for my family? Dogs Training Discussions
    • You might try a retired racing greyhound, or just a greyhound generally. That would fulfill your husband's hound love, and they're really pretty lazy dogs, so they would be okay in a smaller house. That's not to say they need no exercise, but as long as you walk them, and give them a little time to run around they'll be happy (and ready for a nap).They're good with kids too. It doesn't make much difference whether they're male or female once they're spayed/neutered, but females are smaller.

• well if you get a dog get a lab/pit bull.pit bulls aren't mean! never think that.get him as a puppy and train him, you shouldn't get him right now because of the age of your younger son.wait maybe a few months until he knows how to talk at least ten words (if he doesnt know yet)the dog will grow up with them and make them happy never forget that a dog is a big responsibility, though!

• Maybe a beagle. They're a type of hound but they're not very big (20-25 lbs). It probably doesn't matter if you get a male or female dog, as long as you get them spayed or neutered. This prevents problems associated with the sex of the dog (periods for females and marking for males). Supposedly males may be more friendly and affectionate and females may be more independent, but I personally have never really seen a difference.Check out this link for beagle info.http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/beagle.htm

• how about a minituregreyhound or a bassethound, I would get a male ecause they are alot more well tempered then females and its cheaper to nueter a male, then to spay a female.or get a pug. They are median size, good with kids & other animals, & they are one of the only breeds that tend to take the lifestyle of the owner, if you are active, then your pug will be. If you are lazy, then your pug will be lol

• If you are able to give the dog at least a 45 minute walk a day and have time for training and playing, space isn't always a problem.Some people don't believe in getting dogs when you have young children but as long as you allow your dog to have a quiet area a way from the children and supervise the children at all times when they are around the dog then it should be fine.Now I would suggest a Beagle. They're hounds but are small. They are great family dogs and are very good with children, Now because of the small child an older dog might me an option because of the time a puppy requires and their bouncy natures. It will need about an hours walk a day and would probably fit in quite nicely, but I would research them first and contact breeders to make sure it is the right dog for you.Gender doesn't make a great difference other than the reproductive organs. Males testicles will drop at around 6 months and they can become quite boisterous and want to mount everything, while females will come into season every 6 months and will produce a bloody mucus/discharge and the dog may mate if not supervised, producing unwanted puppies. But this can be prevented with spaying/neutering.

• Well, there is a variety. The best choice would be a small dog. If you are looking for a small, intelligent dog, [But expensive], the papillion is it. If you are looking for a family dog, don't buy the Chihuahua, as they are often devoted to one person. A few good, reasonably priced, good with kids, and don't require much room dogs are:Pomeranian [Make sure you train correctly, or it will take control. Likes children. Doesn't like other dogs.]Lhasa Apso [Very sweet, I used to have one. Gets along with other animals and kind to children.]Yorkshire Terrier [Doesn't get along too well with other dogs.Tends to take advantage of smaller kids, because since they don't know too much about dogs, the dog will 'take control of them.']Bichon Frise [Good with children, excellent family pet, will need a lot of grooming and haircuts in the summer.]French Bulldog [They are NOT aggressive, they are affectionate to family members, though they also choose a 'favorite owner.' Sensitive to heat. Excellent therapy dogs, which shows their friendliness.]Maltese [They are known as the best therapy dogs, because they're so sweet. Suffers from seperation anxiety.]And with the male or female, it depends. With a female, you have to deal with her going into heat (A period) every 6 months or getting her spayed. Males, you must deal with humping and marking territory, or get them neutered at a young age.

• RESCUE!!!!Rescued dogs can make the most fabulous pets! If you go to the local shelter, you can play and interact with the dogs beforehand. Plus, some dogs are already housebroken and even know a few tricks! They really are wonderful. Plus, your boys can help pick out the family dog! Since many shelter dogs are mutts it is hard to say which breed you should go for. Because of the age of your sons, I would definitely look for dogs that seem to tolerate their behavior well. Some dogs (and this isn't necessarily determined by the breed) just won't put up with tugs and pulls from children which could end up with your children being severely injured. Going to the shelter and playing with the dogs can be very helpful!If you are dying for a purebred, you should still check out your local shelter as they often have purebreds. Or, look for a purebred rescue. Why spend money on a dog when you can save one's life? http://threedogssanctuary.blogspot.com

• hi,to know what type of dog will suit your family, you can use this dog finder match up http://dogtime.com/matchup/startthe goal here is to help your family figure out what type of dog best suits your family's lifestyle. The results of the match up will suggest certain breeds.hope this helps