Having a working breed dog as a lazy house pet?

Do you think its right to have a working breed as a pet that just lays around the house and does nothing? Like a border collie? What about dogs that were first bred to be working dogs (ratters and such) that have now been re-classified as a companion…

Do you think its right to have a working breed as a pet that just lays around the house and does nothing? Like a border collie? What about dogs that were first bred to be working dogs (ratters and such) that have now been re-classified as a companion…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Having a working breed dog as a lazy house pet?...

• Having a working breed dog as a lazy house pet?

Having a working breed dog as a lazy house pet? Dogs Training Discussions
      Do you think its right to have a working breed as a pet that just lays around the house and does nothing? Like a border collie? What about dogs that were first bred to be working dogs (ratters and such) that have now been re-classified as a companion dog? Do you think that every dog should have a "job" regardless of size?

Having a working breed dog as a lazy house pet? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Well the dogs don't need a 'job' they just need one activity to preoccupy their mind. Mainly working dogs have one thing in mind, pleasing their owner. Like a fun game could be to hide a treat and help the dog find it by giving directions or pointing. Usually the dog will not be lazy but it needs to be active such a fetch or sporting dogs really really enjoy frizbees, keep in mind a 'working dog' such a boarder collie will usually keep that herding want in their mind so they can be bad with small children or turn in to heal bitters, any dog takes a lot of trainging and a working dog will take a lot of smarts to raise correctly

• Well, I think... if a dog wants/needs a job, there's no stopping it. They're either going to work, or they're going to be crazy, obnoxious, and destructive. All my dogs have their obedience commands down pat and do them regularly. They're all shih tzu and a yorkie too.For the most part though, they're content to laze around and then randomly wrestle with eachother.

• I'm not an expert but I think a border collie must have a good amount of energy to burn. It's in his breed. It's not his decision to get exercise, it's your call. All dogs need some form of stimulation. Hope this helps.

• Well I have a Rottweiler and he likes to lay around the house and do nothing. though even when he just does that he also has a very high strung side to him, almost knocking you down. so i know with as big as he is he should be working. So i normally just walk him everyday with a Harness Vest of weight which make him tire out and he doesnt get all crazy. i think they should work because they want to please the owner and it frees their mind, as well as ours when we work/play.

• No, its not right. If your border collie is a couch potato, more likely than not...your house is being destroyed and your dog is a nightmare for you and anyone else that comes in contact with it!Yes, dogs should have jobs...whatever those might be! It doesnt have to be catching rodents...but it should be something similar .And NO, Pleasing the owners is not a "job"...that's something that delusional owners came up with as an excuse....

• My collies I have are therapy dogs and go to work or stores and places with me and they do agility as they need a high engery person. I do know people who have lazy and chubby Collies but I don't think every dog has a job wanting drive. My one collie is extreamly smart...but she hates to do agility and anything like that but she loves to go herding and chase sheep it's very different for each dog. But I am a bit upset at people with over weight lazy dogs that should be active and healthy.

• Millions are....nah,more like BILLIONS.99% of the population haven't a clue what their breeds origins are...most would be horrified if they did.& most of those jobs are redundant now.Had a dingbat tell me that her JRT's job " was to wuv her & gib her kisses." PUKE..MY breed was developed to hunt/work formidable quarry IN-GROUND & they still DO!

• I love my big lazy dogs. They are a working breed but spend the vast majority of their time laying idle at my feet and they like it that way. Their "job" is to be companions to myself and my family and to be a visual deterrent. I only say this because one of the reasons we chose this particular breed is based on our careers. I have worked in the dept of corrections for 10 years and my hubby has worked in the court system. Many people we have dealt with over the years know where we live because it's a small two-county area and many of the offenders are local people in for small crimes or sex offenses. I only need to put my dogs out in the yard with my children and know they are safe and that no one would consider coming uninvited into our home because of our dogs. Clearly they are doing their job as a guardian breed should.